Trust

When destiny brings me back to you.
Next Day

Cho Kyuhyun’s pov

I woke up to the sound of the alarm. I the small table beside my bed, trying to reach the alarm. I rubbed my eyes and look at the time. It’s 4:30 in the morning.

I washed up as fast as possible and get dressed.

Just when I was about to walked out of the door, I thought of Shin. Is she sleeping well? I remember about her having amnesia. Should I take a look?

After hesitating for a while, I closed the door and decided to check on her.

I slowly open the door of her room, and put my head round the door. I try my best not to make even a small sound so she won’t be awake. My eyes searched around the room, but I couldn’t see her.

“Shin?” I called out.

No answer.

I opened the door wide and look around. I found her cowering on the floor beside the bed.

“Shin! Gwaenchanha?” I wrapped her around my arms. “Let’s go to the hospital.” I was about to carry her when she grabbed my hand. I look at her and she shook her head stubbornly. “I…just… need my pills.”

“We need to go to the hospital!”

“I don’t want to… Please. Just give me my pills.” She insisted.

Shin looked so in pain and I don’t want to waste time arguing with her so I carry her to the bed and asked, “Where do you put your pills?”

“Kitchen.”

I dashed to the kitchen and opened all the cupboards. I looked over and found her pills in clear, small plastics that she put in one of the upper cupboards. All this time she keep them here…

There are several plastics and I grabbed all of them. I poured a cup of water and stride to her room.

“Here.” I said, handing her all the plastics.

She opened two plastics with white and yellow coloured pills in it. She put all the pills in , grabbed the glass from my hand and drank all of it.

“Shin, neo gwaenchanha? Is it okay not to go to the hospital?”

“Gwaenchanha.” She waved off and smiled a bit, but her voice still sounds so weak.

“I’m going to go out for music show. Are you sure you’ll be fine?” I sit on the edge of the bed.

“I just feel breathless earlier. This happens so often lately, I think I’m getting used to it.” She joked.

“Why are you getting used to it? Do you think your illness is a joke?” I shut my eyes and rubbed my forehead, feeling desperate.

“Mianhaeyo.” Shin touched my arm, but she quickly moves it away when I opened my eyes. “Mian.”

I sighed. “Look, Shin. You don’t need to say sorry. I am the one who feels sorry here. I am just… worried. And the fact that I can’t do anything to make you feel any better upsets me. I-“

“It’s okay. You’re here with me, you take care of me well, you see?” She smiled, which just making me feel more sorry…

What can I do for her?

“Oh, I think the bell’s ringing?” Shin turned her head towards the door. “Your manager must be here.”

“Ah, really?” I don’t even hear the sound of the bell. All I’m thinking about is, who can I ask for help to take care of her? Should I call noona? But Shin will be burdened if I do so…

I walked out of the room to open the door, and surprisingly, it’s not manager hyung. It’s Sungmin.

“Are we going already?” I asked.

“Uhm, yes.” Sungmin replied, but I sense something else.

“Do you want to see Shi-, I mean, Min Jung?”

Sungmin blinked twice. Maybe he’s surprised because I could know his intention. “Uhm, yes? But is she sleeping? I just want to know whether she could sleep well.”

“How do you know she has insomnia?” I asked again.

“Well, you know, I am quite close to her, so she told me. Is that something that other people are not supposed to know?”

I shook my head. “Aniya.”

“Have you told her to check on the doctor?” Sungmin asked as we both walked to the living room.

“She did.”

“What did the doctor say?”

“She’s fine.” I replied, feeling a little bit bad because I lied.

“Sungmin oppa, you’re here? Good morning!” I turned my head and see Shin walking towards us.

“Oh, you’re awake?” Sungmin looked surprised.

“Yeah. Are you guys leaving already?” She took a seat beside me.

“Oh, we are leaving in a minute… Kyuhyun didn’t tell me that you’re awake.” I could smell jealousy in his last sentence.

“Ah, really?”

“I want her to get some rest.” I said.

“Mm-hmm, I should probably try to go to sleep again. Aren’t you two leaving?” She exchanged glances with Sungmin and I.

“Yes, we are.” I stood up. “Shin, call me if something happens. Just in case.”

“Arasseo.” She nodded.

“I’m going to close the door by myself. You can go back to your room.” I told her.

“Ne~ go back safely!” she stood up and goes back to her room.

Sungmin and I left the apartment and walked to the lift. “You and Min Jung look closer now.” Sungmin commented.

“Sungmin-ah, please don’t show your jealousy now. Shin is sick, and I don’t want another problem came to bother her.” I said. “I need to take care of her, because she is sick. Her health could drop at any time, and every time that she gets sick, she looks so hurt and I feel so hopeless seeing her like that. Every time that she gets sick, I am hurt too.”

Sungmin was silent when we enter the lift. He seemed to think of something.

“Kyuhyun-ah, do you love her?” He finally speaks when the lift starts going down.

I took a deep breath. Gathering my thoughts and courage, I said the two words, “I do.”

__________________________________________________________________________________

‘Cho, I’m at XX hospital right now. Don’t worry, I’m completely fine. I’m just telling you so that you won’t wait for me to come home.’

The text was sent at 9AM, which is around 4 hours after I left this morning. It’s now 5PM… I wonder how is she doing.

I shouldn’t have left my phone in the waiting room backstage during the pre-recording and live show…

I make a phone call to Shin while trying to sneak out of the MBC building without fans knowing. I went through the back door that the staffs told me, and after I stopped a taxi immediately after I managed to get out.

Shin didn’t answer my call until I arrived at the hospital.

“Yeoboseyo?” It’s a man’s voice.

Who is a guy answering Shin’s phone? Did something happen to her?

“Yeoboseyo? Isn’t this Shin Min Jung-ssi’s phone?” I asked, starting to get worried.

“Yes, it is, but Min Jung-ssi is not in the condition to answer phone calls right now.” He said.

“Why? I mean, what happened to her? Ah, where is her room? Can I see her? I’m at XX hospital night now.” I blabbered because I’m feeling anxious.

“Room 1409. And oh, I am Kim Dong Wook. Kyuhyun-ssi, I think I need to talk to you.”

_________________________________________________________________________________

Room 1409. I let a sigh slipped out of my mouth as I opened the door.

It’s a big, neat, and clean room. My eyes wandered around. The bed in the center of the room quickly caught my attention.

I see Shin laying there-she seems to be sleeping. A guy with broad shoulder is sitting on a chair beside the bed, patting her arm. I quickly recognize him; it’s Dong Wook-ssi.

Dong Wook-ssi sensed my presence; a few seconds later, he turned his head and stood up, signaled me to go outside.

_________________________________________________________________________________

“Because you are really busy, I will just talk straight to the point. I’m sorry if I seem rude to you.”

I cleared my throat. “Alright.”

“Min Jung-ie is sick. I don’t know whether you know this, bu-“

“I know.” I cut off.

“Did she tell you?”

“Yeah.” I nodded.

“I unpurposely heard their conversation. She told me that she wants to keep this a secret. So I thought you might not know.”

“She is staying with me. So I know.”

“That’s what I want to talk about.” The tone of his voice sounds serious. “Are you sure about this? I mean, can you take care of her? She was really sick this morning when I came into your apartment. I don’t know what will happen to her if no one came to see her.”

Dong Wook-ssi’s words hit me right on my face. I feel embarrassed, sad, and also upset and the same time. I should have taken her to the hospital even if she refused to.

“Look.” Dong Wook-ssi crossed her arms. “I will be ready at anytime she needs me, if she tells me she wants me to help her, I will be more than thankful if she wants me to take care of her, but the thing here is, she chooses you. She chooses you, Kyuhyun-ssi. Shouldn’t that be enough to be a reason to take care of her, to protect her?”

I’m speechless. Once again, his words are like stones which are being thrown right onto my face.

“I could just ask Yoon Hee-ssi to live with her, or I could talk to her mom so I can live with her-I know her mom, anyway, but I didn’t do that because I want her to be happy. I have no right to make her to do something she likes or she doesn’t like. I want her to be happy with her decision, because, damn it… I love her. I really do. The problem is she doesn’t love me. She loves you; I could see it all in her eyes. So all I can do is just standing at her back, being a reliable oppa of hers. And there’s no oppa in this world who would want to see his sister being treated by a guy like this… So please, take care of her well.”

A cold silence came across. What can I say? Nothing. What can I do? Nothing. I feel guilty and all I can think about is Shin. I am such a jerk. I know about her condition, I shouldn’t have leave her alone this morning.

“Excuse me, Shin Min Jung’s guardian? The patient is awake.” A nurse opened the door from inside and looks at both of us.

“How’s her condition?” I spoke up. I just realized I haven’t even known what happened to her.

“She is alright now. She just needs more rest. The doctor is still inside, you can talk to him.” The nurse gave us a slight bow and left.

I get into the room, and Dong Wook-ssi followed me behind. I see Shin’s waving, her lips forming a weak smile.

“Hey.” I greeted.

“Min Jung-ssi needs to be hospitalized for two more days. We need to stabilize her condition before she is allowed to go home.” The doctor said.

“Is there something wrong?” Dong Wook-ssi asked.

“Nope, she is fine. We just need to do some tests and stuffs so she needs to be hospitalized.”

“I have known Dr.Bryan for two years, he knows what’s the best for me so let’s leave everything to him.”

The doctor nodded. “Don’t worry.” He added.

After the doctor left, Dong Wook-ssi went to the canteen to buy himself a dinner while I talked to her for a bit. I sat on the chair beside her bed.

“Ah, I need to be hospitalized for two days~ I’m going to miss two more days of ballet practice. The concert is just around the corner.” She pouted.

I look at her in disbelief. “After everything that happened today and you’re still thinking of your ballet practice…”

“Of course. When you had accident back then, didn’t your dad refused to do the operation because you might lose your voice? It’s the same thing for me.”

I nodded. I understand her feelings. “Just don’t push yourself too much, okay? I’m worried… I don’t want something bad to happen.”

“I know.”

“Promise me.” I reached out my pinky.

She laughed, but then she reached out her pinky too and intertwined it with mine.

Silent came across the room after that. I have so much to say in mind, but I just can’t speak it out.

“Shin.” I called.

“Yes?”

“Can I hold your hand?”

“Ne?”

“Can I hold your hand?” I repeated. “Just for a while.”

She didn’t say a word, but then she offered her left hand. I grabbed it, intertwined my fingers with hers. I don’t know why but right at this moment, it just feels so right.

I put my left arm on the blanket which is covering her legs, and I laid my head down on it with my right hand still holding her hand. It has been a tough day, and I just want to shut my eyes for a moment and sleep for a bit.

I didn’t fall asleep that fast, so I am still completely awake when I feel her hand patting my head.

I feel too comfortable that I was about to fall asleep, but then I feel her fingers slowly my hair, which makes my heart beats twice faster.

Shin Min Jung, what have you done to me?

I don’t know how long did I stay in that position until she tapped my shoulders and say, “It’s late. Cho, you should go home.”

I lifted my head and look at her. Like always, my lips automatically forms a curve whenever I look at her.

“It must have been a hard day. Go home. Don’t worry about me.”

“You sure you don’t want me to stay?” It feels hard to let go of her hand.

“Alright.” I replied. “Good night.” It feels weird when I finally let go of her hand.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I go out of the room, closing the door behind me. I see Dong Wook-ssi sitting on the long bench in front of the receptionist.

I took a step and was about to approach him when he stood up and walked towards my direction. I guess he has been sitting there for quite a while.

I thought he was going to approach me, but he just walked by so I stopped him right when he was about to open the room’s door.

“Thank you.” I said. “For taking care of Min Jung. For the words you told me just now. Thank you, for everything.”

“You don’t need to thank me, I do this for her.” He replied, but his eyes are looking at the door.

“I can’t stay here tomorrow.” I added. “And I know you’ll do this, but please take care of her. I trust you.”

”I don't. To be honest, I don't know why she chooses you.” His voice sounds cold. “Just because you trust me, that doesn’t mean I trust you. Trust doesn’t work that way.”

__________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, everyone! I sincerely apologize for not updating for a month; I was busy with my final exam & university preparation stuffs so I couldn't update. My holiday started yesterday, and I promise I'll update for at least twice a week! Thank you for reading, and thank you for leaving comments! I love you all <3