Fated

Roommates (dropped)

 

Lu Han entered the room, only to be greeted by the sight of his bed pulled out of its original position, and you crouched under your own bed. He saw the nails on the floor, and another one dropped down after you unfastened it. Against your closet door leaned a wide rectangular object, covered by a piece of cloth. He shifted his gaze back to you.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

You stepped out, your trusted hammer in one hand. You wiped the sweat off your face with the long sleeves of your shirt. “Oh, hey, dude,” you greeted.

 

“What are you doing?” he asked again.

 

“Hmm? Oh, I’m replacing the painting,” you answered.

 

“What?”

 

You grinned and walked to the cloaked object. In one swift motion, you revealed your new masterpiece.

 

“Ta-da!” you cheered, proud of your work.

 

It was another product of your imagination. You and Lu Han were a bit older now, although you still utilized the style you had used on the previous painting: that same, childish, crayon-esque art that perfectly emitted the wistfulness of youthful days and happy times. Unlike in your other work, however, you and Lu Han stood at opposite ends, your backs to each other. The space in between was split in half: your side portrayed a countryside, while his was a city. In the middle stood a small, square building which Lu Han recognized as the exterior of the dormitory. The indigo night sky hovered over everything else, with white dots appearing as stars. The two of you gazed at whatever was in front of you, as if looking forward to the future that hinted at your parting.

 

 

As if you wanted to forget that you knew of each other’s existence.

 

 

 

Lu Han bit his lip. This painting was too painful to look at. How can he possibly bear to see this every time he lied on his bed? Were you so eager for graduation to come? Were you so sick of having to live with him, eat with him, talk with him—be roommates with him?

 

This was too much.

 

 

You noticed the aghast expression on your roommate’s face, and you frowned. “You’re taking this the wrong way!” you spluttered, waving your hand at him. You bent down and pointed to a tiny detail that he had missed: a thin, pale pink squiggly line tied to your wrists connected the two of you.

 

“It’s the string of fate!” you said. “See? It’s supposed to symbolize how destiny brought us and will continue to bring us together! By some sort of twisted fate, we were destined to be roommates, you know! Even if we part, we will always have a link that is unbreakable. And no matter how distant we’ll grow, no matter how different our lives will be, we’ll always be roommates!” You beamed at him.

 

“I’m such a genius at this symbolism, man,” you laughed.

 

 

Lu Han swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat.

 

He didn’t exactly know what to feel right now: he was happy that you assured him of your indestructible bond, however, his heart clenched at the way you emphasized “roommates.”

 

“Can’t we just keep the old one?” he pleaded, hoping that you would see the begging look in his eyes. “I like that one more.”

 

You blinked. “Really? I like this one more. It’s supposed to show how we’ve matured through the years, and how much we’ve changed each other’s lives. I’m really grateful for what you’ve done for me; I just hope that you could say the same.”

 

 

You don’t know how much I’m willing to do that right now.

 

 

Lu Han’s jaw grew stiff as he gritted his teeth behind his pursed lips. “…Let’s keep the old one, please?” he begged again. His endearing doe-eyes grew bigger as he gave you the infamous puppy dog pout.

 

Lu Han never used aegyo simply because he didn’t like it. Sometimes, however, he would subconsciously and unintentionally pull this trick off. You also never fell for any form of aegyo, but each time Lu Han did this, each time he innocently stared at you with his pretty orbs, you would chuckle inwardly and surrender your case. It was, after all, your own way of rewarding your roommate for doing the aegyo he absolutely detested.

 

“Fine,” you gave in. “But don’t let me throw this out, okay? I especially like this one.”

 

He nodded.

 

“Yay, thanks, man! Anyway, I better start nailing the old one back.” You grabbed your hammer and proceeded to your woodwork, disappearing under the shadow of your bed.

 

 

 

Lu Han remained in his spot, looking forlornly at your new painting, taking the moment to examine every bit of colors, , and detail you put.

 

 

His heart fell.

 

 

 

This was the most painful rejection he had ever received.

 

He hasn’t even confessed.

 

 

 

 

Pink was the color of friendship.

 


Author's Note:

Because I am such a troll and I wanted to play with everyone's heads :))

So, does she or does she not like Lu Han?

Hmm~

That is something you have to think about! Also, for the sake of saying it, the account happens at their fourth year of college 8D

 

Anyway, thank you once again for reading, subscribing and commenting!

Remember that comments are appreciated~

And a special thanks to everyone who commented for Chapter 67! You guys are such strong supporters of the ship! >V<

 

Till next time!