Someone Better

Roommates (dropped)

You were in your second year of college when you met Lu Han's first love.

 

 

You entered the dorm lobby after a long day, and saw a beautiful girl sitting on the couch. She sat straight, her back upright, her legs closed together, and her hands gracefully settled on her lap. The girl emitted such poise and beauty--like she was a living doll: her long, wavy black hair hung loosely on one shoulder; on her head was a simple white hairband that kept her hair neat; her skin reminded you of Lu Han's own porcelain complexion, but with more glow and vigor; she wore a pale pink, chiffon, long-sleeved dress with a white Peter Pan collar; her legs were covered with black stockings, and she matched her outfit with a pair of white flats. Beside her was a baby pink satchel. 

 

You gaped at the pretty girl sitting in front of you. She had a gentle smile on her face as she looked at the painting by the television. You warily approached her, taking small, quiet steps. "Umm, excuse me, but are you looking for anyone?" you asked her. Surprised, she whipped her head towards you and shot up, staring at you with big, doe eyes.

 

Oh my god, can this girl be any prettier?

 

"I...Umm...Is...Is...Lu Han-oppa here?" she sputtered.

 

...Okay, who is this girl and why is she looking for Lu Han?

 

You scratched your head. "He is. I mean...He's in this dorm, but not right now. He still has a class and--"

 

"My class got canceled."

 

The girl gasped as Lu Han, Kris, Suho, and Chen walked into the dorm. You looked at Lu Han's face and suddenly, the atmosphere became cold. Lu Han donned an emotionless stare that you knew only you could do whenever you played Poker with your family. Kris, Suho and Chen were silent as they watched Lu Han coldly looked at the girl. His friends, too, carried icy expressions. 

 

"Mae Rin, what are you doing here?" You flinched at how aloof Lu Han sounded. He wasn't mad or anything, but he was so unfriendly, you were wondering where your normally sleepy roommate went.

 

"O-oppa," the girl weakly responded, "I...Can we talk? It's been a while and--"

 

"It's been three years, Mae Rin. That sure is a while," Lu Han said, sarcasm dripping from every word. You almost flinched at how bitter your roommate sounded. It was only once in a blue moon that your roommate transformed from a cheerful flower boy to a caustic devil, and you didn't like it one bit.  He crossed his arms. "But okay, sure, let's, " he made air quotation marks, " 'talk.' Maybe, just maybe, I'll finally have the closure I was looking for for three years." Despite his offer, Lu Han did not move, and continued to stare at the girl, his face unreadable.

 

The girl sniffled, tears already formingat the corner of her eyes. "O-oppa! I'm sorry, but please understand that...that the situation at that time demanded that I..."

 

Lu Han narrowed his eyes. "Stop. I don't want you crying and causing a scene. This isn't the place to hear your excuses. Follow me." He briskly walked up the stairs, and Mae Rin quickly grabbed her purse to give chase to Lu Han. Once they were out of sight, you turned to Lu Han's three companions.

 

"Well, that was awkward," you said. "But mind explaining to me what the hell just happened? I mean, I'm not trying to gossip or anything, but you can't just leave me here, wondering who the hell that girl was and why Lu Han was acting so hostile towards her."

 

The three hesitantly nodded, and led you to the couch in order to sit down and tell you everything. 

 

"Mae Rin is Hyung's first girlfriend," Chen told you while fiddling with his fingers. You didn't know why, but Chen was tense, and cold sweat ran down his forehead.

 

"From the looks of it, I think the proper form of the linking verb is was," you said.

 

"Was is right," Kris affirmed, his face just as expressionless as Lu Han's. "Lu Han doesn't like talking about it, and neither do we, but you have to know." Kris cleared his throat. You knew this was going to be a long story.

 

"They got together during the second year of Junior High, and the relationship remained strong even after they entered different high schools. But at the beginning of our third year in high school, they broke up."

 

"It was the worst," Suho continued, "One day, while we were out eating, Lu Han-hyung saw her with another guy. And she looked like she was enjoying herself too much. She was being intimate with the guy, the kind of PDA that went on between couples."

 

"The kind that I would rather kill myself than do, right?" you asked.

 

"Right. So, anyway, Lu Han-hyung, being the bashful, peace-loving guy that he is, kept quiet, and just urged us to move on."

 

You knit your brows together. "What the--? That Lu Han, his girlfriend was cheating on him, and he didn't do anything?!" you said incredulously, banging your fist onto the coffee table. You couldn't believe your roommate; what kind of guy doesn't get angry when his girlfriend's with another dude, being all smoochy? You couldn't believe that your roommate would let himself get hurt like that. Other people's business was the least of your worries and was not even worth a single , but this was Lu Han you were talking about. You were roommates, and the last thing you needed to hear was how much of a martyr for love he was. You hated that about him. 

 

"Noona, calm down," Suho said.

 

"Sorry, sorry." You leaned back, and fanned yourself. "So what happened next?"

 

Chen spoke, "Well, Se Hun and Tao, being the hot-blooded maknaes that they were, got mad and immediately confronted Mae Rin and the guy with her. Worse, Se Hun punched the guy. They started to fight--a real, painful fistfight. It was a good thing that we were able to stop it before the cops caught us."

 

"Was the guy dead?" 

 

"What? No, Noona, no!" Chen exclaimed, "That's too much; but he did get two black-eyes."

 

You raised a brow. "And Lu Han? What was he doing while of that was going on?"

 

"He was frozen on the spot. He didn't do anything until Mae Rin turned to him, screaming her head off, asking why Se Hun and Tao suddenly punched the guy," Kris narrated.

 

"Hmm...Dramatic change of heart there. That doll-like girl can go loco, too? And wait, why was she asking him that? Shouldn't she be apologizing? I mean, she was the one who was cheating, right? Unless...Wait, this is confusing. Really, really confusing. What kind of sick game was that chick playing at?" you almost cried out, holding your throbbing head. You had never rambled so much in your entire life, and all because your stupid roommate had gotten his heart hurt.

 

"Turns out, she wasn't cheating on Lu Han, she was cheating with him." Your mouth dropped at what Kris said. "She's been engaged to the guy ever since her first year at Junior high school. It's been arranged since they were kids."

 

"Okay, wait, that still did not help. Her life's like a K-drama plot; usually, these arranged marriages aren't based on love, right? So is it safe to assume that she didn't like the guy? But wait, wasn't she being all lovey-dovey, or was that all just a ruse? This complicated love triangles is too complicated for my liking," you sneered, fingers twitching.

 

"Calm down, Noona. Chen, please get her some pills," Suho ordered. Chen nodded, and went to the kitchen to grab some medicine. "All right, Noona, we are nearing the end of the story, so please listen so that your head won't hurt as much. Thing is, Mae Rin actually liked the guy; it was arranged, yes, but she ended up falling in love with him as well. Now before you react and ask why she even became Lu Han-hyung's girlfriend in the first place, let me tell you this now: she liked both guys. She sincerely, wholeheartedly liked Lu Han-hyung enough to be with him."

 

Your mouth dropped for the second time that day. "Wait, so are you telling me that all of this drama is a product of her inability to decide whom she liked more? Are you kidding me?" You scoffed, "Dude, even if she did like Lu Han, what she did to him is unforgivable. That was just low and stupid. That was just inhumane." You wanted to hurt that girl. There was no way you would let someone treat your roommate that way. You weren't knowledgeable in the field of dating, but you understood one thing: at some point in his life, Lu Han's heart broke, and it was all because of her. You don't know if time has eased the pain, and you don't know if dating all these girls was his way of coping. But you do know that hearing this story has made your blood boil, and you wanted nothing more than to tell your roommate that this girl was never worth any of his efforts.

 

"Hold on," you said, realizing that there was still more to the story that they hadn't told you, "What's this 'three years closure' Lu Han's been talking about?"

 

"After the incident, the two didn't speak with each other for a few weeks. As in, Mae Rin didn't even try explaining anything. They just simply drifted apart. They didn't break up, but they weren't together either. It was a month later that Mae Rin suddenly took off, leaving Lu Han with a letter which pretty much told everything," Kris recounted.

 

"And? Where'd that Mae Rin go?"

 

"Due to the sudden inflation at that time, the stock market plummeted down, and her father's business went bankrupt. The engagement was canceled, and her family, in an attempt to run away from the loansharks, migrated to Canada."

 

Chen arrived, carrying a tray of tea for everyone. On a piece of tissue was a pink pill which he gave to you. "Thanks, Chen," you said gratefully, downing the glass of cold tea along with the pill. After setting down your glass, you asked them, "So now she's here, in hopes of getting back with him?"

 

They all shrugged. "Maybe, but Lu Han-hyung won't do it, definitely," Chen said, looking at you. 

 

~

 

It was around 10 pm when Lu Han fetched you from Suho's room. It was a silent trip back to your room, and sensing the cold air around the two of you, you did not ask him how the 'talk' with Mae Rin went. He dropped onto the bed the moment you entered the room. You blinked at him as he stared up at the bottom of your bunk.

 

"You like to paint, don't you?" he asked out of the blue, still looking up.

 

"Mm, so-so," you replied, gesturing with your hand. "What's with the sudden, out-of-topic question?"

 

"You should cover the bottom part of your bed with something; it having to look at pieces of wood when I lie down here."

 

"Okay, I'll do that. Actually, I've been thinking about it for a while; but thanks to you, I've got some zeal to do it now," you said, and walked to your desk to bring out a pencil and some paper.  

 

He covered his eyes with his arms. "Aren't you going to ask me what happened?"

 

You scratched your head. "Dude, what is with all of these weird questions? Can you please make a cohesive conversation?"

 

Lu Han took no heed of your advice. "Well aren't you going to ask me?"

 

You sighed, and took a seat on your chair. You crossed your arms, "Okay, since you insisted." You paused for a bit, thinking of a question. You swallowed hard before asking, "Do you still like her?"

 

The room became silent. Lu Han did not remove his arms from his eyes, and continued to lay there. The only thing you could hear was his slow breathing.

 

Minutes later, Lu Han finally answered you, "No."

 

"I've found someone better."

 

And just like that, Lu Han drifted off to sleep. Somehow, you knew that he was having a good dream despite everything that happened today. 


 

Author's Note:

Hello again~ Here's another update for today! I'll probably do one last tonight because I'll be gone the whole day tomorrow!

Unfortunately, no jealousy right here :)) 

Just Lu Han being ambiguously sweet

And yes, now you know the real reason why Lu Han likes your room so much 8D

Anyway, I've noticed that I've been writing longer chapters recently. I'll make sure the next one is a drabble! I miss writing those 

I would also like to thank my readers and subscribers, as well as the regulars who comment almost every chapter. Thank you so much! And to my new subscribers, I hope you're having fun reading this nonsensical tale! 

Please do comment! I'd love to hear what you think!

 

Next chapter: Today marks another year of your friendship with Lu Han