101 Ways

Roommates (dropped)

“Noona, it’s not working!” Se Hun’s screech pierced your ears.

 

Today was a weekend, and you woke up early to help at the animal shelter as a volunteer.

 

It was almost noon, and Lu Han, being the lazy- that he was, was still asleep. Knowing your roommate’s sluggish nature, you asked Se Hun to go to your room in order to wake him up. Although you wanted to give Lu Han some sleep (that boy and his crazy side job), you disapproved of his sleeping habits and his inability to keep his body healthy.

 

It was almost noon, and Lu Han had not woken up to eat breakfast. You also knew that he had something due tomorrow, and that he hadn't started on it yet. The last thing you wanted was a zombie Lu Han the next day.

 

You needed Lu Han awake now.

 

Thirty minutes ago, when you called Se Hun, you told him of a way to bring forth life into the sleeping boy.

 

“Lu Han has a habit of sleep talking, you know.”

 

“...Really? Are you sure, Noona? We've had dozens of sleepovers, and so far, it's only been Kris-hyung who's been proven to sleeptalk."

 

“No, no. The thing with Lu Han is, he doesn’t talk on his own. You have to talk with him first, and then he’ll respond. It’s a special type of sleep talk.”

 

“Noona, that’s really weird.”

 

“I know, your Hyung is kind of…strange. Anyway, you have to ask him ‘Lu Han-hyung, are you thirsty?’ He’ll respond with a ‘Yeah…I want my tea,’ or something like that—the words change sometimes, but he’ll definitely ask for tea. All right, after that, go to the dorm kitchen, and fill a cup with hot water. I boiled some already; be careful, it’s extremely hot. Okay, now here’s the twist: in the cupboard, I have a red container there. It has my name on it. Inside it is chili powder. Mix a tablespoon of it into the water. Return to the room and tell him, ‘Here’s your tea.’ Lu Han will slowly and painfully get up, but thing is, he’s still asleep. Anyway, he will subconsciously take that cup and drink it. One sip and he’ll be wide awake.”

 

“Wow, Noona, that sounds cruel.”

 

“Trust me, it’s not.”

 

“All right, I’ll try it when I get there.”

 

But that didn’t work.

 

“Noona, I did everything that you told me! Actually, it’s kind of fascinating. I’ve been talking with him for a few minutes now, and he responds. Noona, how did you discover this?”

 

“Se Hun, focus.”

 

“Ah, right, sorry. Anyway, he drank the whole thing! And he didn’t react at all! Noona, what do I do?!”

 

“Se Hun, calm yourself.”

 

“Noona, maybe we should just let him sleep in—it’s Sunday anyway.”

 

“Wait, what? What did you just say?”

 

“Let him sleep in…?”

 

“No, what day is it today?”

 

“Sunday…?”

 

“…Crap.”

 

“What is it, Noona?”

 

“Damn, Se Hun, I taught you the wrong method.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“It sounds stupid, but here’s the deal with your Hyung: for some unknown reason, his body has an on-and-off resistance to my methods. All of them work, believe me, but they just don’t on certain days, and on certain weeks, and on certain months. Method #1 only works on the first Saturday of each month; and today, being the fourth Sunday of this month, we have to use Method #8. Now Method #8 only functions on the fourth Sunday of the months of April, May and June…” You heard a few snickers at the other line, “Se Hun, I know I sound hilarious right now, but trust me when I say this: your Hyung has an on-and-off immunity to my methods.”

 

You could feel the grin growing on his face. “Noona, you and Lu Han-hyung must’ve been roommates for a really long time for you to create those methods, and know when they work.”

 

“You have no idea. Anyway, I’ll tell you what Method #8 is. It’s really simple. Lu Han always sleeps facing his bedside table. Turn him the other way around, lift his right arm, and tickle his underarms and ribs. That should do it.”

 

“Are you serious, Noona?”

 

“Yes, I am, Se Hun.”

 

“…Tell me, how many ways have you actually formulated?”

 

“A hundred and one.”

 

“You must really love Lu Han-hyung for you to be able to endure doing all those.”

 

“It’s not love, Se Hun; it’s called true friendship.”

 

“Same thing when you’re willing to do so much~”

 

“Oh Se Hun, you—“

 

Oh Se Hun just hung up on you. 

 


Author's Note:

Hello~ 

Okay, I know you think the "on-and-off resistance" thing is kind of stupid--and it really is. But I wanted to mix in a few surreal elements to their everyday lives. If Lu Han really did have such a quirk, his adorableness would triple <3

Now, I've realized I have a habit of ending these drabbles with a single line; meh--that's just my style. And since these are drabbles with no connection to each other, I want each to have a line that will eternally close the the whole thing, you know? I can't use cliffhangers and those things. 

Anyway, to my readers who expect a whole lot of romance--please don't :)) I wanted to write romance in a hushed, subtle way, and I didn't want Lu Han to always be directly involved (like how I've been using other characters to reveal bits and pieces). This is an experimental piece, I tell you 8D

Once again, thanks for reading! And to all my subscribers, you guys don't know how much you make me happy :))

Comments are appreciated! 

 

And heads-up! Kai finally makes his debut in the next chapter!