18

Roommates (dropped)

“How are things going there?” Lu Han asked on the other line.

 

“The usual,” Xiumin casually replied, grabbing his second meat-bun from the plate. “Baek Hyun’s learning another SNSD dance, Chanyeol’s practicing freestyle rapping, and duizhang’s in some high-end cosmetics store with Tao right now. Se Hun, Kyung Soo, and Kai are here to visit; they just came from their summer classes. Suho and Chen are playing poker, ” he narrated, taking small bites of his precious baozi.

 

It was another humid day in the middle of July.

 

First year, and second year had come and go, and it was now Lu Han’s third summer in college. As always, most of the dormers temporarily moved out to be with their families, while some of the foreigners flew back to their respective countries. There were hardly twenty people left in the residence hall every year during the summer.

 

Lay and Lu Han, upon the request of their own families, had gone back to China for the time being. Lay’s mother had been missing him dearly, and Lu Han’s family wanted some bonding time with their one and only LuLu who has been studying in Korea since middle school.

 

Lu Han called every single day ever since he arrived in Beijing. He wanted to make sure that he wouldn’t miss anything important, or even if he did, would at least know what it was. He liked to stay connected with his brothers, and with his roommate.

 

“Anything interesting?” he asked Xiumin.

 

The Baozi yawned, flipping through channels. “Not much. We can’t really do a lot of exciting things when you and Lay aren’t here. It’s not fun when we’re not complete.”

 

Lu Han smiled at his brothers’ thoughtfulness.

 

During his entire stay in Korea, Lu Han had only returned to China thrice, and for only a few weeks. Despite that, Lu Han did not feel homesick, because his brothers always did their best to support each other, and make the Chinese members feel at home and welcomed.

 

No words can ever express Lu Han’s gratitude for everything his brothers have done.

 

Then he thought of his roommate, and how much he wanted to hear her voice—her deep, naturally seductive voice that left him mesmerized for minutes.

 

“Can I talk with her?”

 

Xiumin scanned the area, looking for Lu Han’s roommate. When he couldn’t find her, he asked Chanyeol where she was. The tall Happy Virus frowned, and pointed at the calendar that hung by the grandfather clock. Taking a look at the date, Xiumin sighed. “She’s not here, Lu Han,” he said dejectedly, “It’s that date again.”

 

“Oh,” Lu Han mumbled, his voice barely audible through the telephone. “I see, thanks, Hyung. I’ll call back tomorrow. See you guys soon!” he said, trying to sound cheerful despite the painful, sinking of his heart.

 

~

 

She put on her red, worn-out sneakers—the kind that looked like it had gone through a lot of crazy things. Slinging her gray backpack on her shoulders, she turned to us.

 

Looking up from my book, I was the first to notice that she was about to leave.

 

“Where are you going?” I asked, setting down my copy of The Twelfth Night.

 

“To my hometown. I have to be there, on this date, no matter what happens,” she answered, clutching the straps of her backpack.

 

Hometown? She didn’t speak much about it, but I knew that it was at least three hours away by train, and four by car.

 

I craned my neck, taking a peek at her bag. Her backpack looked like it held a lot of things; would she be gone for a few days?

 

“Why? Is there a festival?” Kris inquired, pausing his game.

 

“Not really, but it’s important that I be there on this date. Every year, no matter what day it is, I have to be there. It’s a good thing that it’s in the summer, though.” She grinned at all of us, a twinkle in her eyes as if she was reminiscing on her childhood.

 

“How long will you be gone?” Suho asked.

 

She gave us a reassuring smile. “Just for today! But I’ll be taking the night train back, so expect me to arrive early in the morning tomorrow! Anyway, if I don’t go now, I’ll be late! See you guys!” With one last wave from her to us, and vice-versa, and a chorus of “Take care!” and “Stay safe!” on our part, she turned the doorknob, and exited building.

 

I glanced at the calendar, wondering what’s so special about this date.

 

July 18, it said. 

 

 


Author's Note:

 

Hello again, everyone!

 

This here is the kind of, but not really heartbreak chapter I was telling you about! :)) It's more of an implied heartbreak, really, because just imagine how Lu Han would feel if he finds out what's so special about July 18 for our dear protagonist?

 

Huhuhu.

 

Anyhow~ Can you guess who this chapter was dedicated to? 

 

It's none other than...

 

SHINee's maknae, Lee Taemin, who is celebrating his birthday today! 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BB <3 He's not my bias in SHINee, but I have a special place for him in my heart because he is the most beautiful person I have ever seen :)) 

 

 

 

Haha, I am sorry for putting another hindrance to Lu Han and Protagonist's love :)) 

 

Anyway, thanks again for reading, subscribing and commenting!

 

Till next time!