Letters

Roommates (dropped)

Not Taemin's story, but I wanted to get this out of my system :-) 

 

Dedicated to: Lu Han. 

 


 

 

"April 20, 2009

 

To my roommate,

 

 

Umm, I'm sorry, I don't quite know what to say. I do like writing letters, but I figured since it was your birthday, I should write something more special than what I usually write to my parents.

 

 

Pardon my lack of words.

 

 

I guess the best way to start this little letter of mine is to greet you with a "Happy Birthday!" Please imagine me with the brightest smile on, since I obviously can't do that in real life and had to say it to your face with my usual deadpan. Sorry for the disappointment, but that is just the way I am.

 

 

Still, I am writing this letter to compensate for my horrible oral greeting. But like I said, I can't say much. I might end up saying sentimental things (I don't do those, though) or corny wishes that were already given by everyone else.

 

 

I decided to say something instead, so, here goes nothing.

 

 

Can you believe we've actually survived a month of living with each other? Well, I think we both deserve a pat on the back because we surpassed a little more than a month. To think that we were like bickering hornbills (or just you, rather) a few weeks ago. How ever did we manage to get past that and become normal, mutually-accepting roommates?

 

 

Fudge, it's a miracle--the most miraculous miracle I have ever experienced in my life.

 

 

On the first few days, I really did have thoughts of moving out and finding another place to stay at. The stupid, frustrated me even planned of dropping out and returning to my hometown. All right, so maybe the stupid, frustrated me was exaggerating (I was being stupid and frustrated after all), but during those times, I had never felt so...

 

 

Damn, I won't even tell you. You go figure it out; you probably felt the same, anyway.

 

 

Looking back, I can't help but laugh at your angry face: the way your big eyes grew to an impossibly bigger size, or how your pale cheeks would always puff out into a dark red color out of fury. And there was your weird screeching that was a cross between a banshee's cry and an elephant's wail.

 

 

Kris told me that you were never angry or frustrated. And then I come in, and boom, all hell broke loose.

 

 

Ah, but, hell hath no fury like a Lu Han scorned, right?

 

 

Jokes aside, I hope you like my gift. It's nothing extravagant; as if I would ever buy you something expensive. But it is something I worked hard on; do you know how difficult it was to hide an 11" x 13" canvas? Then again, you must be really ignorant (or really sleepy) to not notice it when I accidentally misplaced it on my bed.

 

 

Sorry, I couldn't help bullying you even on your birthday.

 

 

Anyway, with all the presents you received from your fangirls (I mean, who would give you a 15" MacBook Pro but your fangirls?), I thought it would be nice to gift you something handmade and simple and something that they can never afford. I know I really don't look like it, but I do enjoy painting. I'm no Leonardo Da Vinci or Picasso (or maybe I am, with my blotched up, random-brush , out-there style), but I'm pretty sure it's decent enough for people to identify the figure as you.   

 

 

 

Well, I don't have anything else to say. I am seriously running out of words to say. I do like writing letters, but I hate making them long. Nobody's got time to read a novel in one-go, right?

 

 

So, I'll end my letter here.

 

 

-Your roommate.

 

 

P.S. I hope this wouldn't be the first and only time you get to celebrate your birthday with us.

 

 

P.P.S. This letter would be longer by your next birthday, so I really do wish that this isn't the last time you get to spend it with me."

 

 

"Is that my letter from our first year?" you asked, startling your roommate. He yelped in surprise, clumsily dropping the piece of aging brown paper on the floor. You chuckled, bending down to pick it up. Lu Han chortled in response, murmuring a "Don't surprise me next time," and gently took the letter from your hand. He folded it neatly, and stored it in the simple gray envelope you put it in years before.

 

 

The outer corners of his eyes crinkled in delight as he grinned at you, tilting his head childishly. His fluffy brown hair bounced with each step he took towards you, waving the envelope. "You know, out of the three letters that I have, this one is my favorite." You raised your eyebrow in inquiry, wondering why he had to like the most poorly-written one. "Because I admire your effort to say something. You were really desperate to fill that small sheet of paper, huh? You were probably stoned when you wrote this." Despite your urge to shove the new letter you had into his big mouth as he laughed half-mockingly, half-amusedly at you, a small smile made its way to your lips.

 

 

"Shut up, man," you said, holding in your own laughter.

 

 

"Anyway, you shouldn't be saying that." Lu Han's mouth closed immediately at your words; this time, it was his eyebrow that was raised. "Here," you finally took out the letter you've been hiding behind you, and handed it to him. It was in the usual gray envelope you've used for the past three years--plain, boring, very much like you. But Lu Han seemed to like it as he eagerly jumped forward and took it in his hands. Little LuLu giggled in pleasure, but retained the cautiousness he exhibited whenever he opened the seal of your letters.

 

 

"Also, be sure to skip to the last page; it's best to read that first," you said before walking back inside.

 

 

Lu Han blinked, watching as you entered the lobby. "Last page?" he asked to no one in particular. Deciding it was just best to do as you said, he unfolded the sheets of paper and turned to the last.

 

 

His eyes widened at your post-signature note.

 

 

"P.S. This letter entitles you to get one free hug.

 

 

P.P.S. For as long as you'd like."

 

 

Lu Han rushed inside, a playful grin painting his lips as he searched for you in the lounge.

 

 

I guess I did speak too soon. 

 

 


 

Author's Note:

Because today is Lulu's Birthday, of course I had to write a lil' sumthin' for my bias :"> 

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my favorite man- :))