Kids

Roommates (dropped)

You whipped around to stare angrily at Amber who had been following you the whole day. She clasped her hands together, putting on her best puppy-dog pout in a failed attempt to cajole you. You stood your ground, however, hoping that your sharp glare would get through her thick skull. Amber continued to beg, sputtering a multitude of "Unnie, please!" as she knelt on the cobblestone path.

 

Amber Liu was quite the actress, you realized, when you saw tears prickling the side of her eyes. You never expected to see her like this--so desperate and pathetic--as she tried to reason out with you. You shook your head for the umpteenth time, keeping firm with your decision to not be convinced and reject her. "I said no, Amber. Those crocodile tears are not going to get you what you want," you told her.

 

Amber bit her lip and wiped the droplets of water off her eyes. Her begging, however, did not cease, and became even more hoarse as she croaked out her pleas. You cringed at her raspy voice; it was painful to hear something so ugly come out of . For that to happen--you really must have been the only one she could approach.

 

Thank goodness that not a lot of students used this path; if they would see you and Amber like this, they'd think that you were abusing the poor kid.

 

"Please!" she cried, "It's only a day! You'll get my pay, so please--!"

 

You sighed in defeat. "Fine. But only a day. And don't expect me to be nice, even if they're kids. I hate children."

 

She bounced up in happiness, pumping both fists in the air as she celebrated her little victory. You were one tough nut to crack, but she did it, and sweet, sweet victory had never tasted this sweet. "Thank you, Unnie! Thank you so much! I owe you so friggin' much."

 

"Yeah, you do."

 

~

 

The children bombarded you with questions the moment you said Amber wasn't coming in and that you were substituting for her. They gathered around you, jumping up and down for you to notice them and their inquiries. Their ivory cheeks flushed with red as they raised their hands and squeaked. Dressed in their white doboks, they kind of resembled little Xiumins, with their baozi cheeks and crescent eyes.

 

"All right, all right! Kids!" you tried to calm them down, but to no avail. You were naturally bad with children. You hated them, and you hated them with such burning passion, even hell was not hot enough. Having been raised as an only child, you weren't familiar with taking care of people younger than you, except, perhaps, for your friends whom you had grown accustomed to. It was a long and hard journey, trying to ease up to people who were a year, two years, three years younger than you--what more with toddlers and kindergarteners?

 

Good Lord, kill me now.

 

You gave another go, your voice bellowing above their high-pitched screams, "Kids!" They halted immediately, staring at you with their wide, startled eyes. Your breath hitched in your throat, your stomach rumbling nervously as a wave of guilt washed over you. "I-I mean," you stammered, fanning them with your hands to make them relax, "I'll answer all of your questions, okay? But let's do that later, hmm? I have a very important lesson to teach you."

 

The kids nodded, and then took their places on the rubber mats.

 

"We'll be practicing your self-defense forms today. Well, then, Cha Ryuht!"

 

~

 

Well, that wasn't so bad, you thought as you plopped on the ground and drank water. You observed the children as they, too, greedily slurped the heaven-sent liquid, their faces marked with red speckles and rosy lines. In spite of the cold air that blew from the airconditioning unit, they were all drenched in sweat, their white doboks now dark with perspiration.

 

A few minutes later, all of them approached you, their eyes sparkling with curiosity. "Sah-bum-nim!" they chirped, compressing together and sitting in front of you. "Will you answer our questions now?" they sang.

 

You sighed. Well, no escape now. You figured that if you didn't entertain them, they would just continue to ask even more, and won't let you go until you've shed light to everything.

 

Damn these kids. Damn that Amber.

 

"Okay, first things first: Amber is--"

 

The wooden door slid open, interrupting you just in time. In stepped your roommate, clad in his black and red varsity jacket that seemed a little too big on him. His sandy blonde hair was disheveled, falling in random waves around his heart-shaped face, while his half-lidded eyes, as usual, carried that look of confusion and lethargy.

 

"Hi," he greeted the children, waving at them with his thin delicate fingers.

 

The kids leapt up at the arrival of this unexpected visitor, and soon, their questions to you were forgotten. "Uwaah~ You're so pretty!" they chanted, clearly mesmerized by your roommate's out of this world beauty. They surrounded him as fangirls would, and Lu Han bent down to shake hands with them.

 

"Thanks!" he said cheerfully, smiling and laughing at their energy. "How was your lesson with her?" he asked them, glancing at you. They followed his gaze, and found you merely sipping your water.

 

"Do you know Sah-bum-nim, Mr. Fairy?" one of the girls asked.

 

You choked on your water, sifling your laughter. 

 

Lu Han smiled crookedly, chuckling awkwardly. You could easily tell that it unnerved him. "You can call me Lu Han-hyung or Oppa."

 

"What?! You're Korean?! No way! But Mr. Fairy-!"

 

"Kids, he's Chinese," you answered, standing up and dusting off your dobok. "And he's my roommate."

 

"Oh~ You're so lucky, Sah-bum-nim!" the children chorused.

 

You flashed them a tiny grin, your dull eyes softening at their statement. "I know I am," you mumbled, looking at Lu Han who blinked at you with his doe eyes. "Anyway," you cleared your throat, reverting to your usual hard, passive face, "What are you doing here, man?"

 

Lu Han gave you a small smile. "I came to pick you up. You didn't bring a car, so..."

 

"So? I could just take the bus."

 

"Kris is treating us to lunch in this area. I figured I could just fetch you," he answered, but the only thing that registered in your brain was treating us to lunch.

 

Free food. Oh, joy. After suffering the fervor of overly enthusiastic children and attempting to teach them Taekwondo in spite of your hatred towards them, free food was just what you needed. "Why didn't you say so in the first place?" you asked, a new found happiness in your voice. You grabbed your backpack and water, and started to head for the dressing room. "Just give me a minute, okay? Kids, be good around Lu Han, and Lu Han, I know you're good with children so just...keep it up." you said, shooting him a rushed thumbs-up as you ran to the changing area.

 

~

 

You returned just in time to hear a very interesting conversation between Lu Han and the children. The door was left ajar, and when you grabbed the handle to slide it open, one of the girls' perky voices wafted through the air.

 

"Oppa, you and Sah-bum-nim look really great together!" she tweeted. "You're pretty and Sah-bum-nim is handsome!" The other children nodded in agreement, clapping their hands in joy.

 

But that's not what made their chat so damn interesting.

 

It was your roommate's response.

 

He took the girl's hands in his and swung them side to side. Lu Han's cheeks glowed a bright red, but he seemed pretty pleased with what the child said. "Thank you. I think we do, too," he replied, smiling heartily at her.

 

You opened the door, and Lu Han jerked up at your abrupt entrance. The blush was still evident on his face, and you would've for it if not for your decision to pretend like you didn't hear a thing. You thought that it was for the best, for now.

 

"Yo, I'm done," you declared, slinging your backpack over your shoulder. You turned to the kids, "Well, it was nice to meet you, kiddos. Amber'll be back for next week's session. I hope you all learned something."

 

The children "Aww"-ed in disappointment, murmuring how much they'll miss their fairy.

 

You rolled your eyes. "Children, if you're sad about that, Lu Han and I will come visit you and Amber sometimes," you said. Radiance returned to their eyes, and they pranced in triumph, twirling and dancing in circles. Taking the familiar sight in, you could not help but think that this was where Amber got her habits from.

 

No wonder.

 

"Well," you turned to your roommate, "Let's go, Lu. My stomach is starving and I can't wait to order everything on the menu."

 

 Lu Han nodded, chuckling at your esurience. "All right, come on."

 

"Have fun at your date, Mr. Fairy and Sah-bum-nim!" the children bid you, waving their short arms at you and your roommate.

 

Lu Han blushed in an instant, and he spluttered in denial, "Wait, kids, it's not--"

 

"We will," you cut him off, a small smirk tugging at your lips.

 

As you strode out to the streets of downtown Seoul, Lu Han looked at you as if you were crazy. You feigned ignorance towards his bloodshot eyes and agape mouth, but deep down, you were nothing but amused. When you reached the cemented pavement just outside the Taekwondo studio, he paused and pulled at your backpack.

 

"Why did you--?" he stuttered, too flustered to even finish his question.

 

"They're just kids, Lu Han. There's no harm in playing along with them," was your curt answer. And with that, the two of you stalked off to the designated restaurant.

 

Lu Han walked beside you, his head bowed the entire time. "Oh, right."

 

Your little eavesdropping escapade was your secret to keep. 

 


 

 

Author's Note:

Hello again, everyone!

 

This is Filler Chapter #1 and I hoped you all enjoyed it!

 

AND WHAT'S THIS, Roommate, you evil evil woman! :-)) 

 

Well, I don't have much to say. I still have a lot of schoolwork to do. I wrote this to rest my brain for a while. T.T

 

Again, thanks for reading, subscribing and commenting!

 

I hope to hear from you!

 

Till next time!

 

Next: Amber and Myungsoo play matchmaker.

 

 

Just a tiny edit: Hey guys! I updated Countdown, so I hope you'll be able to check it out!