Chapter 36 (Jessica's POV)

Effortlessly You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After leaving Mitoba I decided to take a drive around the city. I used to do this before when I am troubled with so many thoughts since it helps me ease my mind. But this time though I did it simply because I want to have fun. So, with the top of my convertible opened, I drove feeling the air of Seoul and admiring it's beauty until I passed by an alley that meant a lot to me years ago. I stopped and parked the car nearby. After making sure that I've secured everything, I stepped out of my car and nervously took the steps towards the familiar part of the alley.

Walking in that old café made me feel nostalgic. Nothing much have changed with this secluded-looking place. Old records and photos of famous singers from around the world still hang on the walls. The tables and chairs were still the ones made with mahogany. And at the easternmost section still stands in it's glory an old upright piano.

"Welcome to Ludwig Caf-... J-Jessica?" says the old owner of this café who had just come out from his office holding some bags of roasted coffee beans.

I smiled at the owner and gave him my greetings. "It's been a long time Mr. Ludwig." 

Mr. Ludwig is a German national married to a Korean citizen. It's them who put up this café which is a nice place for relaxing and reflecting on a lot of things regarding a person's daily life. When his wife died due to an illness, Mr. Ludwig decided to stay and maintain this place. This is my wife's legacy he would often say.

"Yes. It's been...three years?" I nodded in approval, thinking of who I used to go with in this cafe a long time ago. "Have a seat Jessie. What would you like to have?"

"The usual Irish coffee and crostini toppings. You know you're the best in making it."

The old man smiled at me before he turned his back to prepare my order. While waiting, I decided to play something at his upright piano. I played the song she used to sing with me, where I am the one playing the piano and she is the one singing soulfully. This time, since I am not with her, I did both. (a/n: the song is Martina McBride's My Valentine). Flashbacks of the memories I shared with her filled my mind as I continued singing. And together with those flashbacks were the questions of why - why she did it to me... and why she cheated on me.

 

-Flashback-

It's Taeyeon's third death anniversary so I went to Busan to visit her again and bring her favorite tulips. Three years is already long enough yet the pain of losing her still hurts. I still feel this sharp pang everytime the 26th of December comes. I have a crush on Taeyeon but never did I got the chance to tell her because I was afraid. I was afraid of that feeling, of a girl liking another girl. 

I was in the middle of my prayer when I heard a female voice crying. This person was calling out her mother and father as if it could bring them back to life. I finished my prayer first before I decided to look for her. It was raining that time. Not hard but enough to drench the girl's clothes. However, she didn't care. Her tears were pouring like rain as she hug the burial mound and call out her parents' names. Witnessing such kind of scene broke my heart. She was the reflection of the seven year old me when I lost my parents. 

"Stop crying. It will not bring them back, Miss."

"I need them back. I don't have anyone else left. That's why I need them back."

"But they're already gone. We don't have the ability to change that."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter