Chapter XXIII

Effortlessly You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Palm to palm, fingers interlaced, arms brushing each other - that's how me and Jessica were while we were inside the limousine. A smile never faded from my face as I kept on repeating on my mind her words I like you and I am starting to fall in love with you.

"Have you gone crazy?" asked the most beautiful girl in my eyes.

"Why?"

"You keep on smiling though nothing is funny. We're inside a limo and I don't remember cracking a joke ever since we left the hotel."

"Well, yeah. I think I am crazy. Crazy for this girl in red dress."

Jessica scrunched her nose in disgust. "Eww. You're so cheesy."

"At least I'm romantic."

"And I'm not?"

"I didn't say you're not."

I wanted to lean in and capture her lips since her eyes were doing it's habit of attracting me again like a magnet. But the limo stopped and the chauffeur announced that we have arrived. We put on our masks first before we entered the ballroom. The place was huge and filled with elite people and it made me feel nervous and...out of place. But when Jessica held my hand and smiled at me, I stopped worrying and just focused my attention to the goddess beside me.

"You look so beautiful Jessica," Mr. Mitoba told his niece after we joined him on his table. "That golden mask suits you well."

"I always know I'm beautiful. You don't have to remind me."

Mr. Mitoba chuckled as he ran his finger to the rim of his wine glass. "You look gorgeous in your outfit by the way, Miss Im. I barely recognized you when you made your entrance."

"Thank you sir."

The night went on and the place became more filled with laughter, chatters and lively music. All drinks were priced twice the usual and the guests were never bothered about it as long as they're having fun. There were booths in either side of the ballroom that were placed to gather more funds. Some fun activities were also held that were very entertaining. But all of it failed to entertain Jessica. I even caught her rolling her eyes due to her boredom. 

Suddenly, the music stopped and someone stood in front to announce the craziest kind of auction I've ever known - the auction of a young guest. And they randomly picked me. One event organizer escorted me to the stage. The MC asked me to remove my mask so that the audience can see my "beauty". The highest bidder will have the chance to go on a date with me. Many raised their hands and I am quite surprised that I got lots of "fans". But ugh! I don't like the idea of going out with any of them even if they're rich. There's only one person I'd like to go out with. But unfortunately that person was just silent on her seat, propping her chin with her elbow nailed on the table. 

The bidding started and the amount escalated fast which was as fast as my heartbeat since I want it to end already. "One hundred thousand bucks for Miss Yoona! Anyone else who wants to bid higher than Mr. Jang?"

Honestly speaking, this Mr. Jang is a fine, attractive young man. But he's unlucky because I am not interested in him and I am mentally praying for Mr. Mitoba to bid higher to save me.

For a few minutes, no one did and I swear my heart was in a race while waiting due to mixed emotions. Fear is one of it. But before the MC could conclude the result -

"A million U.S. dollars for that gorgeous girl in royal blue." That voice was familiar and everyone gasped either because of the amount she bid or because she's a woman like me. The MC asked if someone or Mr. Jang was willing to bid higher but no one did. 

"Let's clap our hands to our highest bidder for tonight with one million U.S. dollars! This is truly fantastic! May you be blessed for your utmost generosity, Miss gorgeous lady in red. May we have your name please?"

Jessica wore a proud smile as she walked up the stage. She took her checkbook, wrote the amount and signed it, and gave it to the MC before taking my hand. "It's Jessica. And remember...no one else can take this woman other than me."

Silence ruled the entire ballroom after she said those powerful words until Mr. Jang clapped his hands. Everyone followed and said things like "romantic", "awesome" and "lovely couple". I smiled to myself when I heard someone say Jessica is drop dead gorgeous. She has to be thankful my goddess never removed her mask, or else she'll get a heart attack if she'll see how beautiful she is. 

When chatting and dancing was resumed, a number of the attendees passed by our table to wish me and Jessica to live happily as a couple. And the latter enthusiastically accepted their blessin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter