Entry 50

That Particular Boy

26.09.2014 (Friday)

It’s weird how life likes to screw with you in the worst ways possible. Well, at least now, I can throw myself into studies and get into the university I want.

But Squishy, never forget the promise I made to you, if you ever come back, I’ll be here, ready to love you all over again.

“Are you feeling well today? Since you were acting strange yesterday.” Was the first thing I said when I saw Squishy outside my school. “Why are you here anyway? Don't you have work?”

“I’m fine, and I took the day off because I wanted to take you somewhere today.” He reached out to take my hand in his.

“Okay now you’re scaring me, first you act all weird then you suddenly take the day off to bring me somewhere…” I joked, chuckling softly.

“Trust me, okay?”

“I trust you.” I flashed a reassuring grin. “But where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise.”

A cheeky grin crept up to his face as he took my hand and pulled me to where his car was. Opening the front car door, he gestured for me to hop in, which I did without hesitation.

For the whole journey, I pestered Squishy to spare me a few hints about the destination. I showed all the aegyo I could muster, which worked when he revealed some clues. However, I still couldn't piece the information I acquired.

“Please give me another clue?” I batted my eyelashes while clasping my hands together in an attempt to act cute.

“Ugh I always give in to you when you do that.” He scrunched up his nose. “It has something to do with animals.”

“We’re going to the zoo?” I quirked a brow.

“No! You’ll find out soon.”

After twenty minutes into the drive, I was getting fidgety in my seat. Squishy noticed and let out a soft chuckle before turning his attention back on the road.

A short while later, he pulled the car up to a small cafe. I tilted my head in confusion. What was so special about this cafe?

“I heard you liked animals, so…” Squishy’s statement trailed off as he guided me into the cafe. “I brought you to an animal cafe!”

I stared, with my jaws wide open, at the cute little pets jumping around the cafe. “Oh my god.”

I ran into the centre like an excited five-year-old and scooped up a kitten. I might have disturbed it while it was taking a nap, as the kitten was trying to slap my hands with its tiny paws.

“You’re so cute!”

“Do you like this place?”

“Yes! It’s like a dream come true! Thank you so much oppa!” I exclaimed after placing the kitten back to its original napping place.

“Don't forget about me once you have those animals as company!” He wagged his finger.

“Hm might be hard.” I teased, sticking my tongue out.

“Yah!” Squishy pounced on me, tickling my sides when he saw the opportunity. I struggled to fend off his attacks, but I was laughing so much I couldn't concentrate on blocking his hands.

“Excuse me? Please behave yourselves. This is a public place.” A middle-aged lady with the cafe apron warned us because of all the noise we were making.

“Sorry.” My head drooped in shame.

When the lady returned to her place behind the counter, I shared looks with Squishy before giggling to myself. He asked if I wanted a drink, and I agreed by humming.

For the rest of the day, I stayed in the cafe and interacted with the many breeds of animals the place had. I was particularly attached to a certain toy poodle, since it was the first critter that welcomed me so eagerly.

Time seemed to pass faster than usual when I was having fun with them because before I knew it, the sky had already darkened.

“Jagi, we should leave soon, it’s half-past eight now.” Squishy tapped his watch two times to emphasise his point.

“Do we have to leave already?” I pouted, and the poodle in my arms shot puppy eyes at him, as if it could understand what I was saying.

“It’s getting late now. We can come again… next time.”

“Okay then…” I released my hold on the dog and stood up unwillingly. Waving goodbye to all the adorable animals, I hugged a few of them before leaving.

Squishy tugged me away from the cafe with great effort since I didn't want to leave, but I gave in in the end and walked further and further away from that wonderful place. We went to the nearby park for a stroll before we decided to head back. Sure, I was feeling empty after I left, but Squishy was enough to cheer me up.

I skipped along the running track, with Squishy behind me. Turning around so that I was walking backwards, I winked at him, causing a smile to spread across his face. However, his smile only appeared for a brief moment before it was replaced with a solemn expression. I stopped in my tracks when I noticed his change in expression.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, worried that he was having one of his episodes again. He stepped closer to me, and sighed.

“Jihyun-ah,” he took both my hands and stared at our interlocked fingers, “my family wants me to go to Seoul, so I’ll be leaving next Tuesday.”

Speaking of his family, I had never heard him mentioning about them a single time.

Wait, he’s leaving? Next Tuesday?

“Why?” I croaked.

“Family problems. And I might not be coming back anytime soon.”

“If that’s the case, then let’s break up.” I muttered without thinking while wiggling my hands out of his. He looked at me, confusion and hurt showing on his face. “We’ve just started dating about a month ago, I don’t think our relationship is strong enough to advance to a long-distance one. Perhaps it’s fate that we can’t be together, perhaps we found each other at the wrong time.”

“We can try…”

“No, dragging this to a later date will only prolong both our miseries, I’d rather end it now.” I was blinking back tears at that point of time.

“Is there no other way?” I could see the glistening in his eyes. As much as I wanted to keep the relationship going, I didn't want it to end like how the movies portrayed it – feelings diluting because of the long distance between us. Nothing good ever happens in those scenarios.

“Maybe if we still have feelings for each other when you return, we can be together again, and we will not leave one another no matter what. That is my promise to you.”

I let my lips graze over his, before eventually catching them in a breathy kiss. None of us wanted to break away, but I pushed him off in the end. Taking to my heels, I sped away from him, increasing the distance between him and me without looking back.

“Goodbye, my Squishy Kyungsoo.”

 

And that was how we went our separate ways…