Entry 15

That Particular Boy

08.08.2014 (Friday)

Remember that qualifying round I had for the singing competition about three and a half weeks back? The finals was today.

I was so nervous, but Squishy and the rest of my friends were there to support me, and in turn, I was also mentally cheering on for Squishy.

Both of us didn't manage to clinch on to the first place, but we were satisfied and happy nonetheless.

I fidgeted on my seat while waiting for the Finals of the singing competition to commence, with Squishy beside me. All the contestants were required to report backstage until they finished their performances. Since both of us were participants, we would naturally be there.

I peered over to Squishy, who had his eyes closed as he mouthed the lyrics to his song, slowly breaking into soft humming. Gosh, he looked so peaceful.

He seemed to have felt someone staring at him, because he abruptly stopped before tilting his head at me. "Is there something wrong?"

I quickly looked away, although I knew that he was already aware that I was staring at him. Settling for a small nervous giggle, I muttered, "Uh nothing."

"Are you worried?" He let out a huge breath of air, sighing.

"Yeah, you?"

"Somehow even after entering so many competitions, I still get nervous before I go up to sing."

"Relax, I'll- uh I mean we'll be rooting for you!"

"Thanks for that." His heart-shaped smile made an appearance again, but it didn't stay for long. "I should be the one encouraging you since it's your first time participating in a singing competition, but here I am getting comforted by you instead."

"Is getting comforted by me a bad thing?" I joked.

"I didn't mean it like that! It's just that I'm usually shy and I find it hard to open up in these kind of settings." It was interesting to see him get flustered once in a while instead of me.

“You’re not that bad, I think you’re pretty good with people.”

“Only with you.” He murmured, voice barely audible.

Did he just say that?

Well, if it was to make the butterflies in my stomach flutter then congratulations, he had succeeded.

"Don't worry, you'll do great, I'm sure of it." I encouraged, placing a firm hand on his shoulder while pumping my fist in the air.

I was pretty shocked when he took my hand away from his shoulder and slipped his into mine. I contemplated on whether to stay completely still or to remove my hand. I decided to stay still, secretly liking the warmth it gave out. The moment was interrupted, however, when a boy came up to us and offered me a handshake.

“Hi, I’m Baekhyun. Nice to meet you.” I quickly retracted my hand from the lock I had with Squishy upon the guy nearing us.

“Hello, nice to meet you.” I took his hand, shaking it twice firmly.

“Do you not remember me?” The boy, apparently named Baekhyun, asked with a hopeful expression on his face.

I examined the features on his face, but it didn't ring any bells, so I shook my head. He looked disappointed when he saw my reaction.

“I’m your senior from elementary and middle school! Remember me now?”

I dug deep into the depths of my brain, searching for the memories I locked up ever since I graduated from that school. “Oh yeah! Baekhyun-oppa! The one who always likes to sing during break times!”

“You changed so much, I almost couldn't recognise you!”

“Are you talking about me? You are the one who has such a vast difference from your past self!” I poked his arm.

“Well, I guess so.” He chuckled softly.

At this time, Squishy let out a small cough. "I'm Kyungsoo, Jihyun's friend."

"Hi Kyungsoo-ssi! You're here for the competition too?"

"Of course. You said senior in junior high school? So how old are you?"

“I’m twenty-two, you?”

“I’m twenty-one, which means I call you hyung. But how are you twenty-two if you were able to be Jihyun’s senior in middle school?”*

“I went overseas, so the dragging caused a delay in my studies.”

“Ah I see.”

“Contestants, prepare yourselves,” the emcee announced, “we’ll be starting soon!”

“So I’ll be seeing you around?” Baekhyun sent a sincere smile, to which I did the same.

“Yeah, sure.” I watched as my new-found old friend walked away before turning to Squishy. “Who knew I would see him here?”

“Yeah, who knew?”

“I guess it is fate then.” I laughed, but it didn't bring a smile to Squishy’s face.

That’s weird, he usually laughs at my jokes even though they are really lame.

I didn't pay more attention to this matter as the competition was starting soon and I was dead nervous about it. The Junior Category started off first, according to the score we had in the preliminary round. I was fifth on the list, but it wasn't that bad, right?

Once the Juniors Category was over, the seniors took over with better performances, especially Squishy, who sang Moonlight (hey it’s the same name as my school!). Although I couldn't exactly see him singing, I could hear him from backstage. Why was I backstage? All contestants had to proceed there after their performance, without the exception of me. I hoped Kai recorded Squishy’s singing down.

After Kyungsoo was Baekhyun. During the preliminary round, I didn't really pay attention to other participants, but now that I knew one of my middle school senior was performing, I listened carefully when he went up to stage from the backstage. To be honest, he sang extremely well, as well as Squishy, if not better.

When all the contestants had finished singing, we were all led to the seats they prepared for us. Luckily, it was free seating, so I could stay beside Squishy. Looking behind, I could see my friends holding up signs with “Jihyun and Kyungsoo hwaiting! #squishycookies!”. Sometimes, I seriously don't know whether I should be grateful for such friends or I should be irritated that they do such things.

After a few agonising minutes, the emcee finally took center stage with the results in his hand. “So I have the results in my hands right now, who will be the champion of the Junior and Senior categories, I wonder?”

“Just reveal it already!” I heard Kai exclaim a little way too loud, causing me to face-palm.

“I see you’re all very excited, so I shall reveal the top three positions for the Junior category now. Third place is… Cho Jihyun from Moonlight High School!”

I was still dazed when the emcee announced my name, which was the main reason why Squishy lightly hit my arm to snap me out. Well, of course I was disappointed that I didn't get champion, but I was still nonetheless happy that I got into the top three at least. Second place was a guy and first was another girl, both whom I didn't know.

I returned to my seat beside Squishy after taking a collective photo together with the winners and the judges, which meant the revealing of the Senior category results was very soon. Sure enough, the emcee slipped another envelope from one of his pockets and waggled it while stating that the results were inside.

For some reason, I was more nervous for the Senior category results than the one I participated in. When the third place was revealed (it was a girl), my heart beat even faster. Was Squishy going to get first place?

“In second place is… Do Kyungsoo from BASK University!” I clapped and cheered wildly when I heard his name. Squishy went up to the stage to receive his trophy and a certificate before waiting for the last winner to join the victors’ line. “In first place... drum roll please… Byun Baekhyun from School of Performing Arts of Korea!”

I clapped loudly for Baekhyun too, because I knew he deserved it (even if I was biased to Squishy). I looked at them proudly when they snapped a photo together.

Afterwards, the winners of the Senior category stepped off the stage, with Squishy going back to his seat beside me. When the whole competition came to a close, all my friends, including Kai, rushed up to us and surrounded us in a group hug. I had to say, I was pretty squished from it. They only let go when I lost all feeling in my arms, but I didn't mind. Following the group hug, I threw my arms around Squishy and squeezed him in a hug of my own, whispering into his ear, “We did it!”

“I got the picture!” I heard an excited Hwajae exclaiming as she showed the rest a photo of Squishy and me hugging, with the others pushing to see it on her small phone screen.


Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry I couldn't update on Friday, I was settling some stuff for a friend of mine and it took really long so I didn't have time to write. And I was celebrating my grandfather’s birthday Saturday plus I was finishing my homework yesterday. There’ll be another Hidden Entry to compensate you guise up later! Again, I’m so sorry!

*Middle school in Korea is from the age of 13 to 15, but here if Jihyun was 13, then Baekhyun would’ve been 17, which means he’s supposed to already be in high school. However, because of some reasons, his studies were delayed so he attended Middle School Year 3 when she was in Year 1 in the same year.

-Jihyun