Entry 10

That Particular Boy

01.08.2014 (Friday)

Evidently, staring competitions are getting more popular in my school (I went back for morning lessons). And playing it with Squishy is only detrimental to me, because l literally just melt under his strong gaze.

On a side note: Kai is apparently eternally grateful because Hwajae gave me permission to give her number to him.

"Hey Jihyun-ah..." Hwajae started when we were on our way to the bubble tea shop after our morning lessons.

"Hm?" I urged for her to continue.

"You know how Jongin asked me for my number..." She trailed off.

"Oh my god, don't tell me you're thinking of giving it to him." I exclaimed, horrified at the thought.

"I'm considering it actually."

"Are you serious? Are you freaking serious?"

"Yes I am. He seems nice, and he's your friend too, so I'm okay with it." She gave a shrug.

"Then why did you reject him in the first place?"

"Eh I don't know."

"I don't get you." I sighed as I blew at my fringe.

"Says the one who gets all awkward with Kyungsoo." She shot back.

"We're not awkward anymore actually."

"Good for you then."

We paused our conversation when we arrived at the shop. Of course, that girl was there too.

"Why are you always here?" She hissed at me. I peered over her shoulder but Squishy wasn't there. I guessed he should be in the kitchen.

"Why can't I be here? Technically speaking, I'm a customer here, so be polite or I'll complain." I shot her daggers from my eyes.

"What do you want?" She asked in an impatient manner, but I let it pass.

"I want to speak to Kyungsoo."

"He's busy."

"Kyungsoo-oppa!" I ignored her and went straight for yelling for him. Call me immature, but that was exactly what I needed to do against her.

"Oh Jihyun? Hwajae?" He popped his head out from the kitchen. "I'll do your orders once I'm done with this." He pointed to the buckets of pearls that needed transporting to the other side of the shop.

"Oppa since you're busy, why don't I do it?" She blinked her eyes while asking hopefully.

"It's okay, I can do it, I'm going to be done soon." He stated as he plopped one of the buckets on the ground.

"Kyungsoo-oppa, it's fine, she can do it." I smiled.

"Ah okay then."

That girl seemed to be very happy, as she hurriedly prepared everything and started mixing the drinks. Squishy was done by the time she started, so he approached Hwajae and me since he had nothing else to do.

"Your eyes are so big, has anyone ever told you that?" Hwajae commented with a poker face.

"Uh I've heard."

Her face suddenly lit up when an idea formed in her head, "Why don't you have a staring competition with Jihyun? We've been doing it since this morning."

She was met with protests from me, but Squishy was very cooperative, so we ended up having one after all. I blinked as much as possible before Hwajae raised her hand which was placed in between our faces to signal that it started. I almost regretted my decision in agreeing to it, because I’m dying from merely staring at Squishy. His gaze was so intense, it could melt anything. I tried to keep my eyes open for as long as possible, but my eyes started to water, so I gave up and blinked.

“And Kyungsoo wins!” Hwajae announced.

“Congratulations.”

“Thanks.”

“Here are your drinks.” That girl interrupted as she wedged in between Squishy and us.

“Uh thank you.” I paid for the drinks and waved goodbye to Squishy before leaving with Hwajae, happy although I lost the staring contest (I think you know why).


Who wants to take up the challenge of creating a ship name for Kai and Hwajae? ;)

-Jihyun