Entry 6

That Particular Boy

28.07.2014 (Monday)

For I-don't-know-what reason, I had this sudden surge of bravery, and I called Squishy ‘oppa’. For the whole day.

Maybe my jealous side is surfacing because that stupid girl calls him that. Who knows?

Also, food-fights are always fun, no matter where or when you have them.

I sat behind the counter, waiting for Squishy’s arrival. I was bored, really bored, because I forgot to pack the novel I borrowed from the library into my bag so I could only stare at my surroundings when there were no customers.

“Hi Jihyun.” A familiar greeting snapped me out of my daze.

“Hey Kyungsoo…” I paused before taking a deep breath, “oppa.”

He seemed shocked when I called him that out of the blue, but then a cheeky grin crept up to his face.

“Why the sudden change?” His brow was raised slightly as he leaned in closer.

“You don't like it?” One thing I learnt from Kai was to shoot a question back when you have nothing to answer with.

“I didn't say that, so you can continue.”

Damn he handled it so well. If it was me, I would have stuttered non-stop and caused so much embarrassment for myself.

“Okay Kyungsoo-oppa.”

“Don't get too carried away though.” He teased while flashing his heart-shaped smile. I’m telling you, I can never ever get enough of that.

“Don't worry, I won’t.” I gave a confident grin back.

A customer arrived at the counter, to which I quickly took his order. Hurrying to finish preparing the drink, I didn't notice the pool of water in front of me. Of course, I stepped on it and slipped, but I regained my balance before I could fall. I saved myself, though I couldn't say the same for Squishy.

While I was trying to regain my balance, my grip on the cup loosened, which caused it to fly across the kitchen to Squishy, landing on his apron. Well, at least the apron prevented his shirt from getting soiled.

“I’m so sorry!” I yelled across, before moving on to prepare another cup.

After the customer left, I spun around, about to apologise to Squishy again and clean up the small mess, but I was met with an Oreo cookie to my face. From the corner of my eyes, I could see Squishy bursting into laughter when he saw my reaction.

Did he just- Oh no he didn't!

I grabbed the closest food item from me and flung it towards him. Probably not the best idea to throw pearls across the kitchen, but the expression on Squishy’s face when some landed on his head was priceless. If it was a food-fight he wanted, then he was going to get one.

His eyes scanned the shop for a potential weapon, and there was a twinkle in them when they stopped at a particular spot.

“No.” My eyes widened, not believing that he would seriously pick it up and throw it at me. However, I was proven wrong when he scooped up a cup full of syrup and tossed it over to me, aiming at my face.

I dodged, causing it hit to my shoulder instead with a splat.

“It is on.” I pounced at him, scooping a cup of syrup from another bucket before projecting it at him.

It didn't take long for most of the kitchen to be covered in the ingredients we were supposed to use for the drinks, but that didn't stop us from throwing more food at each other.

“Hello? Is anyone there?” I heard someone say from outside the shop.

“Customer!” I shushed Squishy before stepping out of the kitchen

I emerged from the back, to see Hyerin standing in front of the counter.

“What happened in there?” She tried to peer into the kitchen, but because of where she was standing, she couldn't see past the first table.

“The Fire Nation attacked.” I stated, deadpan.

“I’m serious, Jihyun.”

“Um I slipped.” I wasn't exactly telling a lie, since I genuinely did slip at first.

“I don't think slipping will do such damage, it looks like something exploded in there.”

“Well things happen and one thing led to another-”

“Are you dating him already?”

“What? Of course not! Why would you think that?” I quickly denied before looking back at the kitchen. Fortunately, he was too far away to be listening to our conversation.

“You said one thing led to another…”

“I meant the mess, not our relationship.” I gave her a look. “Where did you even get that idea?”

“Uh never mind where I got the idea.” She brushed my question off.

“Are you being a spy for whoever wants to know?” And did you even come here for the sake of purchasing anything?

“Um no… Anyways, bye and have fun with him!” She exclaimed before scurrying off and waving goodbye.

“Hyerin!” I called out but she only increased her pace, speed-walking away from me as fast as possible. “She didn't even buy anything.” I muttered to myself.

“Who was that?” Squishy came out after he washed his arms that were once covered in jelly and syrup just a while ago.

“Just my weird friend.”

His lips formed an ‘o’ shape before he turned to the mess we created.

“This is going to take a long time to clean up, isn’t it?”

“Yep. We should start soon.” I agreed.

And so because of the food-fight we had, we spent two hours cleaning up the aftermath of it, with Squishy running to the nearby supermarket to replace the ingredients we wasted in the shop. We split up the cost, although he insisted that he should pay for everything.

We stayed in our syrup-stained clothes for the whole day, getting weird looks from other customers. Of course, the ahjumma suspected that we did something to her shop, but after checking that the supplies were still perfectly normal, she dismissed the issue without further question.

Going home later that evening, I sighed at the receipt when I looked at the price, but a smile replaced the frown I had when I remembered the fun we experienced during the food-fight. It was definitely worth it.