Entry 4

That Particular Boy

24.07.2014 (Thursday)

And I found out that Squishy also has a nickname for me.

She asks Kai if Squishy works on weekends, and no he doesn't

I arrived at the bubble tea shop at around 7.45am, dropping my bag inside the kitchen before making my way to the back of the counter. Why did I reach my workplace so early you might ask, well, Kai worked on Thursdays too, so the only time I was allowed to work was from when his shift started till the time Squishy arrived.

Apparently Kai had the same reaction as Squishy when he stopped in front of the counter, puzzled at the fact that I was inside the shop instead of outside. I decided to play around, as a payback for all the teasing.

"Hey douchebag, you've been replaced." I winked, even though I didn't want to; I had to make it look realistic. "I work here now."

"But how?" A look of horror replaced the smug one on his face. "I didn't even get a notice!"

"Well now you know, so you can stop reporting to this place from today onwards.” A smirk hung on my face as I watched him frantically fishing out his phone to call someone. “Who are you calling?”

“The owner of this shop obviously! There has to be some kind of mistake here!” He pressed his cell to his ear, waiting for the receiver to pick his call up.

Now it was my turn to panic. I didn't want to disturb the ahjumma with my pranks! I had no idea that Kai would call her.

“Wait! Hang up now!” I exclaimed.

“Why would I do that?”

“Because what I said to you was all untrue! Well, except the part where I work here now.”

“You were tricking me?” He raised his brow.

“Yes, now hang up the call.” I said firmly.

I was expecting him to be mad or something, but instead he chuckled loudly after cancelling the call and locking his phone.

“That was a good one.” Kai gave two thumbs up and wiped the imaginary tears of laughter off the corners of his eyes.

“But I really am your colleague now.” I deadpanned, crossing my arms in an attempt to appear more serious.

“Did you decide to work here because of Squishy?” A corner of his lips lifted, his smug expression returning.

“I just need some cash, that’s all.”

“But why here? Just admit that you came here for him!”

“Go serve your first customer!” I avoided the question by pushing him to behind the counter so he could take the customer’s order.

After a few short minutes, he approached me with that signature smirk of his plastered on his face.

“You know, he gave you a nickname too.”

“And what was it?” I perked up, interested to know what Squishy called me before he knew my name, even though I had the feeling that he was going to come up with some weird name.

“LML, short for ‘Love of My Life’.”

“Yeah right, I’m not going to believe you.” I knew it. I freaking knew it.

“Fine, I was just kidding, it’s ‘Cookies’.”

“Why?”

“Because he thinks that you look delicious.” He his lips while his eyes stayed on me. I shot him a disgusted look before backing away, not wanting to be anywhere near him right then. I think I made the right decision in hiding Hwajae from him.

We spent the next four hours eyeing each other, stalking one another's every action from a distance (because mainly I would punch him if he got less than a metre away from me). When my shift was about to end, I suddenly remembered that I haven't got Kai's number yet. Well, if I got Squishy's, it's only right that I ask for his too, right?

"Hey give me your number." I lightly smacked his arm to get his attention.

"Since when did you move your target from Squishy to me?"

"I'm just asking for your phone number because we're colleagues now, how far were you thinking?" I was this close to smacking his head.

"Pretty far, but I have to say that you're not my type." He shrugged casually.

"As if you're my type too?" I scoffed in response.

"Call me oppa first, then I'll consider giving it to you." At that moment, I felt like wiping off that smile of his with an uppercut to the face.

"Whatever," my eyes caught sight of Squishy striding towards the shop, "I'll ask Kyungsoo."

"That's not fair!"

"Nothing's ever fair." I stuck my tongue out at him, causing him to roll his eyes.

“Kyungsoo! What’s Kai’s numb-” My words got cut off by Kai covering my mouth with his hands.

“His number?” Squishy completed my question for me. “I can text it to you later.”

“Hyung! How can you side with Cookies?”

I noticed Squishy’s eyes widening before he sent death-glares at Kai.

“You .” Was the comment Squishy muttered when he entered the premises of the inside of the shop.

“I love you too, hyung.” Kai beamed brightly.

“I’m outta here.” I raised my hands up in the surrender position before slipping through the small opening to get out.

“Already?” Squishy looked disappointed while Kai pouted.

“Yeah, because Kai works the whole day. There can only be two at one time, so since he started working here first, I’ll just have to make do with the hours I have.” I explained, earning nods from the both of them.

“Bye then.” Squishy flashed a Cheshire-like grin.

“Bye Cookies!” Kai waved enthusiastically.

“See you!” I waved to the both of them and turned to walk away from the shop. As I left, I heard Kai getting strangled.


Hey guise, I almost couldn't update today because I had to study for four tests I'm taking tomorrow. I'm this close to going insane, honestly. I don't think the teachers understand the stress we’re going through...

-Jihyun