Entry 43

That Particular Boy

17.09.2014 (Wednesday)

What are the chances? The world is really so small.

I hope to meet up with Baekhyun more often, we definitely have a lot to catch up on. But then again, Squishy is going to get jealous. Though I think he’s cute when he’s jealous.

“Today, we have a guest speaker with us. He’s from the School of Performing Arts –not the Seoul branch of course- and he’s here to introduce more about the university and some career paths you students can take. Please welcome him.” The teacher in-charge of afternoon assemblies gestured for the spokesperson to reveal himself while the student body roared with applause.

“Good afternoon, I’m Byun Baekhyun from the School of Performing Arts.”

I was in the midst of conversing with my friend when the name struck me. Baekhyun was here?

Immediately, my head shot up to take a better look at the person standing in front of five hundred students. Indeed, it was the Baekhyun I knew.

After half an hour of presenting what the school has to offer, which succeeded in lullabying half the student population to sleep, he told us that the fun part was here.

“I need some volunteers for this demonstration, anyone wants to try?”

Feeling ambitious, I raised my hand up high, waving it excitedly. Hwajae yanked my hand down and gave me a “girl, if you’re chosen and he lets you pick a volunteer, you’ll be dead if you choose me.”

“I see a hand from the back! Don't be shy.” Baekhyun was approaching the area where I was, and before he reached me, I jumped up.

“Jihyun? I never knew you studied here.” He asked when he saw the student who bravely stood up, forgetting that the microphone was still close to his mouth, which meant all the students heard what he said. Of course, those who didn't know Squishycookies chorused a suspicious “ohhhhh” (which is the majority), some even wolf-whistled. He offered a hand to lead me to the stage, which invited more catcalls when I accepted.

“Any more volunteers?” He asked the crowd, receiving no response. “Or does Jihyun-ssi want to appoint some people to join her?”

Right when his question finished, a pair of arms were seen in a crossed position high up in the air.

“Oh? I see another brave soul.”

“No no no! I wasn't-”

“Come on up!” Baekhyun encouraged.

Turned out the one who flailed her arms around was Hwajae, and her purpose in doing that was to signal to me not to pick her, but she attracted the attention of Baekhyun instead. So much for not wanting to be on stage.

She protested strongly, but she still got pulled on stage in the end. When she joined me, she shot imaginary daggers at me from her eyes.

“I volunteer Soojoon and Ji ae!” I exclaimed on impulse.

“Soojoon and Ji ae, it is. Where are these two lucky people?” Baekhyun made his way to the crowd again in search for the people I sabotaged. Boy, am I getting slaughtered today.

He managed to seek them out with little effort, since their classmates eagerly pointed out where they were sitting. Soon, they were standing in line with Hwajae and me. I glanced over at them, and got the same response from both innocent parties: a mouthed “I will kill you”.

“I will start singing a note, and the rest of you will try to sing the same note. The one who can sing the highest out of all of you, or even higher than me, will win. Is that clear?” Baekhyun explained the instructions, to which we nodded along with every sentence he said. “I shall start now.”

In all honesty, the little activity was not as bad, I didn't understand why they were all overreacting. Hwajae hit the highest note among all of us, but of course, she couldn't go higher than Baekhyun. We were dismissed from stage after receiving a small token for participating, and with that, he ended his presentation. All the students rushed out of the hall when the teacher in-charge released us, but I was held behind because Hwajae, Ji ae and Soojoon were busy tackling me to the ground.

“I didn't volunteer Hwajae! She made her actions obvious!”

“But you volunteered us!”

“Guys, I can’t breathe, get off me!” With all my might, I pushed them off my body. Panting breathlessly, I helped myself up. “It’s just a small activity, no harm done.”

“Yes, it’s just a small activity, and it will help you in your public speaking skills.” Baekhyun materialised from nowhere. “By performing that little gimmick, I helped you raise your confidence level by a bit.”

“Oh thanks.” All four of us bowed respectfully.

“Can I speak to Jihyun alone?”

“Ah yes, you may.” Ji ae shuffled out of the hall, with the two others following her, leaving Baekhyun and me inside.

“What a small world huh?”

“Yeah, the last time I saw you was at the competition.” I thought back to that day. I still remembered how he sang there, his performance caught me in a trance.

I told him that I had to go the shop to accompany my boyfriend, and he offered to walk me there, so he could buy a drink there at the same time. We exchanged numbers, and he complimented on how Hwajae and I could enter the School of Performing Arts with ease.

For the whole walk to the shop, we chatted about the old days in elementary and middle school. The topics ranged from the teachers we used to have to how one of the toilets always seemed to have broken lights. It wasn't a long stroll, but we extended it by deliberately walking slower. At long last, we arrived at the shop.

“You’re late today.” The corners of Squishy’s lips curved downwards.

“Yeah, because I met him along the way!” I pulled Baekhyun into view, which caused Squishy to snap out of his usual childish demeanour and straighten his posture.

“If I don't remember wrongly, you’re Kyungsoo-ssi, right?”

“That’s right. I forgot your name though…”

“He’s called Bacon, just call him Bacon!” I joked, chortling at my own gag. Baekhyun, however, did not seem in the slight bit amused.

“Ah Baekhyun-ssi.” He nodded knowingly. “I remembered only when Jihyun mentioned your nickname.”

“That’s not my nickname…”

“Pity, it was a nice nickname.”

“So I brought him here for a drink, you don’t mind right?” I batted my eyelashes, trying to get on his good side.

“Of course I don’t mind,” he paused before continuing with a wide grin plastered on his face, “but he can’t come into the shop. It is, after all, out of bounds.”

“Yeah I know, that’s why we’re going to the tables near the school vicinity!” I think I sounded a little too excited.

“On second thought, you two can sit in the kitchen and have your little chat.” Squishy quickly changed his mind and invited us inside after all.

“Jihyun, you know what, I think I have to leave now.” He glanced at his watch. “Save that drink for me!”

“Okay, oppa!” I waved before he hurried away from the shop.

“Since when were you so close to him?” He narrowed his eyes at me.

“Eh are you jealous?” I pinched his nose lightly before tousling his hair.

“No, I’m not. Why would I be?”

“My Squishy-oppa is jealous~” I sang.

“Yah! You haven’t answered my question!”

I ended up evading his questions all day, until he gave up.