Entry 22

That Particular Boy

19.08.2014 (Tuesday)

If today was a dream, then I will never want to wake up. However, after pinching myself (hard) over a hundred several times when I got home, I realised everything that happened is true, and that I’m not dreaming.

Yes, Squishy, I will very much like to be your girlfriend.

“Aren’t you going to go?” I eyed the clock in the shop, which indicated that it was a quarter past seven. He should’ve been gone fifteen minutes ago.

“Nah, I’m staying here until you finish.” He sat down and began reading

“Uh okay then.” Although I was utterly confused as to why he was waiting until I finish, I didn't ask any more questions.

The time past really fast for some odd reason, and soon, the ahjumma came to take over my shift.

“Do you want to go have dinner together?” Squishy suddenly asked when I was making my way out of the shop.

Yes! Oh my god!

“Uh yeah I guess.” I tried to hide my excitement by keeping a poker face.

We walked in silence to the nearby shopping centre and quickly chose a place to eat since it was getting late. We left our bags at the table and went on to order our food. Soon, we were at our seats eating our meals.

“Jihyun-ah, remember I wanted to ask you something yesterday?” Squishy started, causing me to stop stuffing my face so I could look at him.

“Mmhm.” I hummed to indicate that I did remember.

“I’m going to give you this piece of paper, don't open it until you reach your house, okay?” He produced a small folded piece of coloured paper from his pocket and passed it to me.

“Now I’m really curious about what’s written in there.”

“Don’t open it until you get home, promise?”

“Yeah, promise.”

I slotted the paper into my wallet on the table, my eyes unconsciously darting towards it occasionally while eating. I'm dying of curiosity but Squishy wouldn't let me see the contents of that paper.

At last, we finished our dinner; I chugged the food down while Squishy took his time to slowly put the chunks of chicken into his mouth, so in the end, I emptied my plate a lot faster than him. Seeing that his plate was almost cleaned off, I took it as a signal that I could go.

"Uh I'm going to go now, bye!" I slung my bag over my shoulder before taking off, not turning back even though I heard him yelling a "bye" from our table.

"Aish that girl, is she really that eager to read what's inside?"

Needless to say, I rushed all the way home. However, the bus seemed to take forever to get to the bus stop, and I was getting all fidgety. Of course I could have opened the note right there and then and Squishy wouldn't know even if I did, but since I promised, I should keep my word.

The second the bus pulled over at the stop near my house, I dashed out and sprinted back home. My mother was confused to why I was perspiring buckets when I reached the doorstep, but I shrugged it off and made a beeline for my room.

"Finally!" I threw myself onto my bed before pulling the piece of paper out of my wallet.

Unfolding it at a painfully rate, I read the words written on the slip.

It read:

“Will you be my girlfriend?

Text me the reply? ;)”

I think I squealed a little too loudly, because my mother came barging in and asking whether I was alright or not. And with me jumping around on the bed, it wasn't exactly convincing if I told her nothing happened.

"I'm okay, I just received some good news, is all." I chuckled apologetically.

"Oh really?" She raised a brow.

"Yeah really." I went back to sitting down on my bed. "I'm just going to do my stuff."

"Alright, you go do your stuff then." She smiled before closing my bedroom door behind her.

I began typing my reply in my phone- who am I kidding, I immediately cut straight to the point and sent him a "YES!"

This was going to be an exciting road for me to take.


Hey guise, sorry for being a party-pooper but updates will be slower for the next two weeks as I have exams so I can’t dedicate enough time for writing. I hope you can understand.

-Jihyun