Entry 14

That Particular Boy

07.08.2014 (Thursday)

You know, I'm not quite sure whether working with Kai is a blessing or a misfortune.

"Are you working here for the whole summer?" I was halfway through the page of my book when Kai raised a sudden question.

"Yeah, why?" I tore away my eyes from my book and looked at him.

"So I have to continue teasing you for the rest of summer and possibly as long as I'm friends with Squishy?" He gave this weird smile, the one he always gave whenever he was planning something bad.

"Can you stop using his nickname?" I snapped.

"You can't blame me, it's extremely catchy. Now back to answering my question."

"Yes, I'm going to work here for the rest of summer and will come back for drinks even after summer break, but you can do without the teasing. It's tiring right? So stop." I sighed, hoping he would discontinue what he was doing to annoy me.

"No way dude, why would I give up funny expressions from the both of you just by saying a few words?"

"Because Hwajae." I thought of a comeback.

"What?"

"Hwajae, Hwajae, Hwajae. One more time and you're going to be ruining your chances with her." A smug smile spread across my face.

"Is that a threat?" Kai snickered before bursting out in laughter. "You'll have to try harder. Besides, Hwajae's in on this Squishycookies operation, so she'll believe me more than you now."

"Wait, Squishycookies operation?" I quirked a brow.

"Oops, slip of the tongue."

"Kai, I demand you to tell me right now." I commanded, letting my side bangs cover my eyes so I would look more serious and scarier.

However, he only chuckled before sweeping my fringe to the side, back to its original position, "Your fringe is getting long."

"Don't try to change the subject." I huffed.

"Wow, your hair's growing long too!" He faked excitement as his fingers tugged on my ponytail. I smacked his hand away before giving him an if-you-don't-tell-me-right-now-I'm-going-to-kill-you face.

"They already created a fan club and chat group for the ship, I don't think it can get any worse." I crossed my arms after rubbing my temples.

"Squishycookies operation is just to get you two together." He said casually.

"That's it?" I asked, my voice full of doubt.

"Yeah."

"Hm then it's pretty easy to avoid falling into your traps. I'm going to be extra careful from here on out."

"No matter how careful you are, you'll still find yourself in the hole we dug for you, with Squishy beside you of course." He just had to mention Squishy, didn't he?

"Oh my god, stop it!"

"But seriously though, you should cut your bangs shorter," Kai messed up my fringe by carelessly running his hand across my forehead, "so your eyes won't get blocked and you can see Squishy better!"

I grabbed the closest item to me, which happened to be a small bucket of straws (don't worry, I only took a few), and flung them at him without uttering a single word.

"You're so wasteful!" He stuck his tongue out, causing me to grab a few more straws to throw at him. "Okay, okay, I'll stop talking about your beloved Squishy."

“You better keep to your word!”

“Well speak of the devil, there he is!” He pointed at the space behind me.

I spun my head around to find Squishy, but there was no sign of him nearby. Damn, I just fell for another one of Kai’s tricks.

“You tricked me!”

“Who would’ve known you were so desperate to look at him?” A smirk crawled up to his face.

“I’m not desperate!” I exclaimed in exasperation.

“There he is now, I’m serious this time.” He continued laughing, which made his statement unbelievable to me.

“I’m not going to believe you.” I pouted while crossing my arms.

“What did you do to her this time?” I heard Squishy question Kai from behind me. I quickly turned around to see him put his bag down, before he made his way to Kai and gave him a knucklehead.

“I did nothing!” Kai raised his hands up in a surrender pose.

“He bullied me!” I pretended to wail, and Squishy decided to play along.

“You bully! Now I have to punish you, then make you apologise to her!” Squishy found a stick from one of the tables and waved it at Kai.

“Hyung, are you seriously doing this right now?” His face showed a judgemental expression. “Oh well since you’re protecting her, Squishycookies- Ow!”

Squishy landed a hit on Kai’s arm, causing him to yelp and me to erupt into laughter.

“Why would you do that?” Kai pouted, trying to gain some sympathy from Squishy.

“I’ll leave this to you two, bye!” I skipped away before I got drawn into their somewhat childish play. Stopping abruptly, I turned around to add, “Try not to hurt Kai so much!”


Does anyone here watch anime? Recently I’ve been addicted to Attack on Titan and I can’t stop fangirling about the characters inside! Levi’s my all-time favourite character, how about you guise? ;)

-Jihyun