Chapter 17

Love Is 'Ouch'!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was horrifying. A horrifying feeling, knowing the ugly truth. Her turbulent thoughts whirling. She tried not cry, not to freak out but failed miserably as tears ran down her cheeks like rivers.

She needed some air and a little space, but wasn’t ready to go back to their house. Instead she’d took a cab and asked the taxi driver to send her to her old apartment. She was lucky she'd carried the house key with her as she had planned to drop by after the meeting at the lawyer office. She fumbled with her keys to the door of her apartment, giving an irritating grumble, she finally opened the door and eagerly pushing the door wide open.  She stood there for a long moment, just staring at the wooden door before she went inside. It was warm, welcoming, familiar. All the feelings that she needed right now.

Suzy went to sit on the couch, amid the almost empty apartment. She looked around her house and let out a little chuckle. She remembered she had promised to herself that she will not regret for what ever happened between her and Myungsoo. It was a challenge, plain and simple. It was just part of her life, she'd come to accept it.

The doorbell rang, interrupting her thoughts. Glaring at the offending sound, she closed her eyes and pretended she didn't hear it. The bell rang again followed with an insistent knock.  However, this time a familiar voice accompanied it.

"Suzy!" a loud voice was heard from behind the door.

She blinked at hearing her name being called.  'Umma?' She shook her head lightly, hardly believing that her mind could be playing tricks on her.

“Suzy, open the door please, darling." The voice called again.

She ignored the tightening in her chest as she got up and strolled towards the door before throwing it open. "Umma, why are you here?” Suzy asked.

"I'm here to see my darling." She said lovingly.

"Come on in." She opened the door wider and her mother-in-law stepped in.

Mrs Kim followed Suzy into the house and she sat on the couch next to her. “Are you okay, darling?” She asked, lifted her hand and gently Suzy's cheek and then her hair and finally resting her hand on Suzy's shoulder.

Suzy lowered her head so that his mother-in-law wouldn’t see the tears in her eyes as she nodded at her. But Suzy knew, Umma knew her too well. Suzy has no doubt she can read the sadness in her eyes.

Mrs Kim reached for her hand and holds it tight. “Suzy, umma know, this all happened too sudden. In fact, less than a week after your wedding. I'm so very sorry you had to go through this." She said rubbing her hand tenderly.  "But that doesn't change the fact that it happened for a good cause. Trust me, umma glad for what grandpa did."

When she saw no reply from Suzy, she continued, "At first umma was shocked with your engagement, but then after a through thinking, umma knew that there's no other person that can make umma and grandpa more happier, other than you. Myungsoo loved you, Suzy. He wouldn't marry you if he doesn't love you."

Suzy shook her head again, but more defeated this time. She let out a long breath just before she opened to speak. “I know. I’m sorry, umma. It's just that I thought he'd gotten over Gyuri. But there he was almost yelling that grandpa had messed up their relationship.”

“Men say funny things when their pride is hurt.” She tried to reason with Myungsoo’s action.

“But why is his pride hurt now more than it was when she dumped him?” Suzy asked, looking into her eyes.

“I don't know.“  She sighed.

Suzy allowed the ridiculous situation to sink in for a few seconds, and allowed herself a wallow in self- pity. “I really thought he was being in love me and not....”

“Darling, he did. Umma knew he did." Mrs Kim cut her. "He was so happy when he told us that he proposed to you and the wedding will happen soon.”

“But, that time he didn't know the facts. Now he regretted it.”

“Did he tell you that?”

“He didn't have to. It was in the way he was talking about how grandpa should have respected his decision.” Hurt flashed across her face. But on the other hand, could she blame Myungsoo for his reaction?

“Maybe that was his grief talking.”

Suzy stared at her for a second, then shook her head, “I hope so, but I doubt it.”

Mrs Kim gazed at her. "Darling, ..." she whispered reassuringly. “You need to calm down. Just stay calm. Will you?” Mrs. Kim said her hair again.

"Stay calm? Umma, you were in there and you saw what happened to him." Suzy swallowed hard going slightly pale at the memory. She shook her head and let out a sigh.

"I know this is so mess up right now." Mrs. Kim sighed and leaned back against the couch.

"I don't know if I can bear to see his face now that he realized…" Suzy stopped when suddenly her doorbell rang and followed with a knocking.

"I'll open it." Mrs Kim said walking towards the door. And the door opened revealed Myungsoo was panting for air as he ran up the stairs. She just closed the door without saying anything to her son.

She walked back inside and grabbed her handbag and gave a kiss on Suzy's cheeks. “I better go now. He's all yours." Suzy walked her to the door and opened the door but she stayed inside the house, holding the door wide open. Mrs Kim walked out and to Myungsoo who was leaning against the wall.

"Bring Suzy back. Or don't comeback at all."  Suzy could hear what she was saying and she saw Myungsoo nodding his head as she spoke. Mrs. Kim tapped Myungsoo's shoulder and left.

Myungsoo turned to Suzy then walked towards her. He stood in front of her by the door. "I went to look for you at our house."

Suzy looked at Myungsoo and their eyes met. It sent shiver down her spine because she'd easily becoming lost in his eyes like every other time they stared at each other. She tried to figure out what his eyes are telling her. She doesn't quite know what she saw in them. Confusion? Honest? Disappointment? But above all of it, Suzy saw pain, with a healthy d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter