Chapter 6

Love Is 'Ouch'!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“So why the switch in brides? What happened with Gyuri?" Grandpa asked, getting straight to the point. "Last time you told me you were going to work it out with her.”

Myungsoo looked down at the floor and sighed. Taking a deep breath, he straightened up and leaned back on the couch, his eyes wandering off to the side. He was collecting his thoughts for how to answer this dreaded question. After a brief silence fell between them, Myungsoo clasped his hands together and looked to his grandpa without lifting his head too much. "Gyuri didn't want to work it out. She turned me down last Friday and refused to talk to me ever since. Except to say she never wanted to see me again,” He answered in one go.

“Did you want the vice presidency position that badly?” Grandpa asked sarcastically, he looked sad for Myungsoo at the same time, but bothered by the situation.

Myungsoo's eyes widened a little and he slouched in his seat. “What makes you think that, grandpa?”

“You showed up here engaged to a person who's been in love with you for the last ten years.” Grandpa gave Myungsoo a sharp stare, as though he was staring right through the young man, the intelligence in his eyes quite dominant at that moment.

Myungsoo stared at him. "I...what...?" he managed, totally thrown by the callousness in grandpa's voice. He tilted his head in confusion. "What do you mean?" he asked, hearing how clueless it sounded. “Suzy?” Myungsoo directed his gaze to Suzy in the other room. He straightened up again as he search for the beautiful face. His eyes traced over the slender features, the black eyes, the straight line of her nose, the softer curve of her pink lips… 'She loves me? She can't possibly... For ten years?' So many questions running in his head. For some reason, this made him nervous. Which was ridiculous, and honestly, rather confusing.

“You didn't know?” Grandpa asked when he noticed the confused look in Myungsoo's expression. Myungsoo noticed his grandfather's expression looked like he just had to explain to someone that the sun rose in the east and set in the west.

"No." He answered softly, shaking his head. “I didn’t... realize.”

“It's been obvious to anyone who bothered to look." Grandpa pointed out almost in disbelief. "Since you didn't look and see the obvious, you can't tell me you're marrying for love. What else am I supposed to think but you wanting that promotion so badly you'd use your best friend?”

"Well, this is a good time to be home." Myungsoo thought for a while before answering. “Maybe I just felt it was time to settle down and Suzy... well… I don't know why she agreed but it's what we want.”

“I hope it works out the way you want.” Grandpa smiled in return.

Myungsoo looked confused at the sudden change in expression. “Grandpa, you are actually okay with this? You’re not angry?”

The old man just chuckled. He was about to answer when Suzy came over with her drink and a spare for Myungsoo. “I brought you your drink, Myungsoo-yah.” Then she turned and smiled at grandpa.

Myungsoo took the drink and whispered to her, “Thanks, but he guessed it's not a love match.” he admitted shyly.

“Mmm.” Suzy chuckled. They grinned at each other for a second. Suzy leaned in and whispered "It's your fault, Myungsoo. For making it obvious! How embarrassing…" Her voice was above a murmur.

Myungsoo just shrugged his shoulder.

“Myungsoo, why don't you come over here and tell us about your plans.” Mrs Kim patted the empty space on the couch next to her.

Myungsoo went to sit with his umma. "Umma, we'll talk about this 'plan' later, okay? It's too fast to talk about this now. Besides, I haven't really discussed it with Suzy," he said frantically to his mother. "She might freak out and leave me too. You don't that to happen, right?"

Mrs Kim smiled at her son reassuringly. "Of course, dear."

Grandpa turned to Suzy and carefully asked her. “So Suzy, why are you marrying my grandson?”

Suzy nearly choked on her drink. She couldn’t believe how nervous she was. Her eyes drifted over to Myungsoo, and realized that Myungsoo was looking at her with a smile as if he was waiting for an answer, too. She surely isn't blushing now. She doubted Myungsoo thought she could hear his talk with grandpa considering their distance. As she figured it out, she nodded slowly. "Uh..." It takes her a second to find her voice; has gone dry. “Because I love him.“ She said it softly. She'd been super careful with how she answered any inquiries about her 'plans' with Myungsoo.

Grandpa reached out and touched Suzy on her shoulder. “I believe you do. Good. He'll need some persuading.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter