Chapter 4

Love Is 'Ouch'!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 A few seconds passed before Suzy nodded. "Why not? How long have we been friends?”

Myungsoo took a long moment before answering. “Twelve years. Since Junior year in high school.” Myungsoo answered after the long pause quirking his eyebrows at Suzy.

“Right, and how many break ups have we been through together? You saw me at my worst when Yoseob broke my heart.”

Myungsoo stared at her, at a loss of for words. This was a golden opportunity that only came once in a life time. He had no excuses really. He shrugged, looking helplessly at her. "I guess I never thought it might come between us."

There's silence between the duo.

Myungsoo looked at the beautiful face in front of him. His family had loved Suzy from the minute they had met her. Especially Grandpa! She was the perfect choice.

Myungsoo couldn't help but smile. His smile soon stretched to a grin. “You know Suzy, you might be right. Grandpa adores you. But... can we be a convincing couple?” Myungsoo asked with uncertainty in his voice.

Suzy leaned forward and very earnestly said, “I'm willing to try for one month or so it takes to get your promotion if you, yourself are willing.”

Actually, Myungsoo thought, it wasn't a bad idea. “I like the idea. Not bad at all.” Myungsoo grinned from ear to ear, but paused when a thought came up. "But, Suzy, are you not in relationship with anyone right now? I don't want to create any trouble for you later."

"Myungsoo, for your info, I'm not going out with anyone right now. I'm free and single." Suzy answered smiling sweetly at his concern.

“Really? It's my luck then." Myungsoo couldn't hide his happiness. "Ah, Suzy, you know that I always love you. You're really my best friend that I can always rely on.“ He was certain this time.

'Only as your best friend.' Suzy let out a little sigh unknowing to Myungsoo. It wasn't Myungsoo's fault if he didn't feel same way for her. Suzy accepted that. She had so much else to love Myungsoo, a shared history, family, so many years together, that was far more important than some misguided romantic notion of getting together. Though, in all fairness, she had as much chance as any other woman with Myungsoo... but instead, she ends up constantly angsting and sacrificing everything for him. She would do all she can to see Myungsoo be happy rather than doing their best to end up with him. She tried to have a relationship with other guys but usually they ended up with her heartbroken.

"Yeah, that's what friends are for right? To help each other in needs." Suzy said, smiling thinly.

"Thank you, Suzy. Your offers are merciful, and for that I am in your debt."

"You don't have to say that, Myungsoo."

Myungsoo tilted his head. "Then perhaps you know what I’m going to say next.” Myungsoo pulled the ring from his pocket. “I was going to return this to the store this afternoon, but . . .”

He stood up, moved in front of Suzy and got down on one knee.

"Bae Suzy, will you be my fiancee? With the understanding that if we don't suit each other, we can break the engagement after I get my promotion?”

Suzy laughed. “Aww.... Myungsoo, you're such a goof. ” She covered Myungsoo's hand holding the ring in her palm. “Yes, I'll be your fiancee as long as it takes to get you that promotion. Futhermore, I'll go with you right now to exchange that ring.”

“Anything for you my friend." Myungsoo held back a laugh at her candidness. He flagged down their waiter and asked for the check.

Five minutes later Suzy found herself in Myungsoo's car being hustled across the busy thoroughfare to the shopping mall. They went up to the second floor and stopped in front a jewelry store with engagement rings prominently positioned in the showcase. “Find a ring you like, don't worry about the price.”

Suzy looked at him, as though nothing he said would surprise her, and then she shook her head. “You don’t have to spend on me, Myungsoo-ah. I’m just helping you.”

”Thanks.” Myungsoo replied softly. "But I want to."

Suzy looked again at the rings in the display. "If you are sure."

"I'm sure. Besides Grandpa would expect it."

Suzy clapped her hands once. "Well then, let’s get a ring that will make a statement." She smiled then stepped into the jewelry store.

A middle aged saleswoman, came over to greet them. “May I help you?”

Myungsoo pulled out the ring box from his pocket. "I'd like to exchange this . . ." He opened the box. "For whatever she wants." Myungsoo indicated to Suzy. The saleswoman looked at Suzy with a smile.

"It's just that I feel less is more and this has too much going on wit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter