Chapter 5

Love Is 'Ouch'!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The classroom was filled with easels upon which were paintings in various states of completeness and art supplies for multiple mediums arranged neatly on a side counter. The room was neat and clean reflection of the owner, Bae Suzy, obsessed with art since high school. She spent every moment painting. By the time she graduated, she had begun selling her paintings. She’d turned down Myungsoo’s offer to work for Kim Corp. as she was afraid people would have wrong perception that she'd used Myungsoo and their friendship to get into the company. Instead, she chose to be a freelance artist and work in a private art academy for six years. Today, she dressed more formally than a normal day, straightening a pile of drawings on her desk.

“Nice painting.”

Suzy turned at the voice and felt the sharp crackling of electric current running in her body, the feeling raised the hair on her arm.

Myungsoo leaned casually against the door frame. “It looks good.” He was genuinely admiring what he saw, but he was not studying the painting. Suzy could feel the heat of his gaze on her face. Myungsoo was looking at her. “Real good.” He saw a pink tinge gradually creep over Suzy's cheeks.

“Thanks. You're not looking too bad yourself.” Suzy opened the top drawer of her desk and picked up her wallet. “Are you sure it's all right for you to bring me to meet grandpa tonight?”  It was a careful choice of words.

“It's perfect. It was your idea anyway, except . . .” Myungsoo shoved off from the door frame and walked over to her. “….for one thing.”

“Oh. What's that?”

Myungsoo fished the ring box out of his pocket with a smile. “This.” He opened the box and removed the ring. ”Do you want me to put it on for you?”

Suzy smiled. “I'll let you do it.”

Myungsoo took her left hand in his own and slipped the ring on her ring finger. “There. It's official. It's lovely on you."

Suzy nodded and looked up, her eyes shining, "Absolutely." Suzy face softened into the biggest smile Myungsoo had seen in years.

For a moment Suzy thought that Myungsoo would kiss her, at least on her cheek but he didn't; he only smiled.

“Shall we go then? “ Suzy grabbed her coat from her desk chair.

“Sure.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Grandpa, Jung Jaewon, stood by the window looking out at the sunset, holding a before dinner cocktail. Mrs. Kim, Myungsoo's umma, is sitting on the couch with her drink, flipping through the pages of a fashion magazine.

As soon as Myungsoo and Suzy reached a point where they could be seen by others, Myungsoo assumed a proper smile, one Suzy was sure would remain fixed throughout the evening. She tried her best to stay calm, despite being nervous about meeting his family as his fiancée. The two, smirking like two naughty school kids, tried their best not to giggle at the bewildering situation as they approached Myungsoo's home.

Grandpa turned at the sound of footsteps and saw them walking in. He strode over to them with a pleasant smile.

“Ah, Suzy, what a nice surprise!" Grandpa gave her a big hug, embraci

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter