Chapter 36

Love Is 'Ouch'!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kai arrived at the coffee shop early as usual. A smile plastered on his face since he left his house. He's been very enthusiastic about his new life. Thanks to someone that he is very certain with his future now. But that's not the reason he was very happy today.  Something else. He smiled to himself as he dried the mug in his hand when he heard the little bell above the door rang out. He looked up at his customer. His first customer for the day on Friday morning. He immediately put up a smile.

“Good morning, welcome to Bean House." Kai said cheerfully, bowing slightly.

The man noticed Kai's glance, as he entered the shop, nodded once. He wore a dark brown jacket with his black bag sling on his shoulder. He set the bag down onto a table next to a wall of entire glass and walked up to the counter. Kai looked at him with his smile and passed him the menu. The man had dark hair and his eyes were clouded with sadness. Despite such things however, Kai plastered a smile on his face, and watched the man scamming over at the menu.

"Can I get you anything?" Kai asked his work like voice.

"Hmm.., yes. I'll have a black coffee with two sugars and pancakes, please." The man said, as a tired smile coming across his rugged features, not looking at Kai, seeming too preoccupied with his thoughts.

Kai watched him, careful not to let the man notice too much. 'Is he sick?'  "Is that's all?"

"Yes. That's all." The man took out his wallet and paid for his orders.

"I'll bring your orders to your table in a minute." Kai said courteously.

The man nodded and as he walked to his table where he left his bag, he took glance at a painting on the wall as he passed. It look like it was painted by a really famous painter that it looked pretty expensive. Kai noticed the man glancing at the painting and he watched as the man settled at the table. The man carefully pulled out a piece of paper and started jotting down something.

Kai passed the order for pancakes to the kitchen staff and he started making the coffee at the beverages station just behind the counter.

Kai set the coffee cup on a tray and made his way over to where the man sat, depositing his cup with a murmured, "Your coffee, sir. I'll bring your pancakes shortly." The man thanked him as he retreating to his work station, trying not to watch him. The man sipped at his coffee as he stares up at the painting on the wall. The colors brushed onto the canvas are almost overwhelming, his chest constricting with unidentified emotion the longer he looked at it. He closed his eyes for a moment, trying to regain his bearings, and when he blinked them back open, he found someone standing by him, looking up at the art on the wall.

“Here are your pancakes. Enjor your breakfast." Kai said.

The man didn't say anything to Kai. He still staring at the painting on the wall.

Kai noticed that. "It’s wonderful, isn’t it?” Kai can’t help but share.

"Ah.. yes." The man just nods, smiling a bit.  "Do you know who paint that?"

"Yes. I know her. She's a very special person to me." kai said without a doubt.

The man wanted to ask more about the owner of the painting but Kai had to excuse himself as more customers walked in and that kept him busy. Kai didn't realise that the man has already left the shop when he turned to his table.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Why are you doing this, helping me I mean?" Suzy asked quietly when both of them were sitting comfortably at the counter in their coffee shop later that day. There, only sat a man at a corner table. Taking a packet of serviettes, Suzy tore off the plastic and filling up the dispenser.

Kai who was sitting at the opposite counter looked up at her. "You’ve asked me that question so many times. I've already answered to you. I helped you because you’re my friend." He answered softly sipping his coffee.

Suzy rolled her eyes. "Tell me why. There has to be a reason for you to help me until this far."

"I just think you deserved th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter