Chapter 11

Love Is 'Ouch'!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Ji-hyeon, Suzy's twelve-year-old student, was helping her clean up the classroom after the class activity. Suzy was cleaning the potter wheel while the girl was arranging the easel and the stool back to their places.

"Like this, Miss Bae?" Ji-hyoen asked.

Suzy smiled at her. "Exactly like that. Thank you very much for helping me today, Ji-hyeon. You can go back to your class now. It's okay now, I can manage by myself."

"Okay, Miss Bae. I'll see you tomorrow." The girl said, picked up her bag and left the room.

Twenty minutes later, Suzy sat down in her chair, not sure what to do with herself. She was tired, so tired in fact, that she felt her eyelids slowly starting to drop. It had been a really busy day for her. She didn't know how long she had been sitting there, but a knock at the door dragged her out of her thought. She stood up and walked to the door, opening it, Grandpa Kim Jaehon stood on the doorstep, a wide smile spreading across his face when he saw her.

Suzy smiled back at him. “Grandpa. This is a surprise.”

“I'll bet. I hope I don’t intrude.” He said formally.

Suzy smiled at him and pulled the door open wider. "Not at all. Come on in.” She replied in kind, pulling herself together.

Grandpa smiled and stepped further into the classroom. “I'm sorry. I know, it’s better if I ring you first before I come.”

“You don’t have to say that grandpa. You can come here anytime.” Suzy interrupted, waving away the apology.

“You have some talented students. You must be very proud.” He said looking at the paintings on the wall.

“I am proud of their talent. I hope to do a show with the soon-to-graduate seniors but I'm currently lacking the funds to do it with a gallery. Right now it would have to be in the cafeteria here and without the professional polish ...”

“The Kim Financial Group would be proud to underwrite the show.” Grandpa Jaehon cut her.

A shocked expression took over her face and she quickly said, “Uh...thank you, grandpa for your generous offer. But... I wasn't asking you to do that.”

“I know. That's why I offered. Just call my secretary tomorrow and you two can work out the details.” Grandpa handed her a business card.

“Then, I thank you on behalf of my students.” She received the cards with a smile. She looked at him. “But you didn't come here to talk about my students' work.”
“No, I didn't. Can we sit?”

“Of course.” Suzy lead the way to her desk. She sat behind it and nodded to grandpa and motioned for him to sit down in the guest chair across from her.

They were surrounded by silence for a few moments as grandpa sat silently studying her, and a wry smile appeared on his face. "So, about Myungsoo, I assume that you are both serious with each other?" Grandpa looked at Suzy.

"Yes, I guess. I mean, I really can't say. It's been just about two weeks." Suddenly Suzy felt cold all over.

"I see. And has he been honest with you?" Grandpa asked with an edge in his voice. 

Suzy smiled at him. "He was very honest with me."

“Good. I came by to find out if you have a date in mind for the wedding.” His voice was mild.

Suzy thought about it for a moment and then smiled, “Myungsoo and I... we haven't discussed it yet.” Suzy answered calmly. Her cheeks turned pink.

“That's what he said earlier this morning.”

She glanced up at him curiously. Her face was almost void of emotion at the moment, except for a small furrow in her brow. “If he told you that then why come see me?”

“Because I thought you might have a rough ballpark date for me.”

“Nope. No ballpark date.”

“Do you have an idea when you might have one?”

“We haven't talked about this, yet. I'll talk with him when we meet for dinner tonight.” Suzy felt herself starting to blush, which only made grandpa smile at her even more.

“Good. Very good.” Grandpa replied with a bright, happy smile.

“Is there anything else I can help you with, grandpa?”

“Only for you to take a look at and sign this prenuptial agreement.” Grandpa took out the folded legal document out of his inner jacket pocket and laid it on his desk.

“A prenup?” Suzy looked shock.

“It's not the usual kind. Trust me. No insult intended.”

Suzy picked up the document, and read it. She re-read it for second time before she said, “You're right it's not the usual type. At least not from what I've heard about them.” Slowly nodded her head in understanding.

“And are you going to sign it?”

Suzy looked up from the paper in front of her. “I have to discuss it with Myungsoo first.” She glanced at the blank signature lines. “He does know about this right?”

“I showed it to him when I saw him this morning.”

“And?”

“He was insulted that I wanted to bribe you into staying married and having children. He thought it was too mercenary. But I didn’t plan to prepare it that way. It depends on how you look at it.”

“Bad huh?” Suzy asked with sympathy and looked at him in the eyes. “Is it a bribe?”

“I like to think of it as more a reward for doing what I think the two of you will want to do once you have figured out that you really do love each other

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter