Gloomy Sunday

Sykotica Preview Layouts
XSYKOTICA
VOLUME XC:
She remembered the first time he brought her a foreign object. Jae told her it was the very small version of the Eiffel Tower and that one day, he would take her to go see the real thing where it shot up into the sky like an enormous arrow. Hye waved it off as nonsense. She wasn’t going anywhere with him, that was what Hye told Jae. Later that night, Hye found herself dreaming of that day when she could see something like that. It would be interesting, would it not? That was how their love began. It sprang up from underneath the frozen grown, budded, and bloomed. Almost every time he came to play with her after that day, Jae brought a little trinket from bottle caps to smooth shiny pebble things. He couldn’t see how important they were to her. Hye was a little irritated by his inconsideration.

“Ah… don’t be mad. How about I give you a hug? It will make you feel better.” He smiled and extended his arms. Jae loved having the old Hye back. She didn’t try to hold back anymore. He was able to feel many of her emotions.

“Are you teasing me?” Her hands went to her hips.

“Of course not. I was serious…”

Hye didn’t believe him.

“Alright. How about this… we can take some of them with us but the rest we will hide in the forest and come back for it later?”

Although she didn’t like the idea of leaving anything behind, it couldn’t be helped. Hye agreed to his plan.

“I’ll lead you to the underground tunnels in the forest. It is probably the safest place for my little treasures.”

“That sounds good.”

After Hye had taken out a couple of trinkets including the miniature Eiffel Tower, Jae dragged the chest after Hye as she led them both into the forest.

They were unaware that someone was following them as they moved deeper and deeper into the dense forest. When they got to the rock entrance, Jae managed to push the boulder aside and lower the chest gently down into the tunnel with Hye’s help.

“Should we rest a bit before making our way back?” She noticed the beads of sweat forming on his brows. The large chest was indeed heavy.

“If you’re not tired then let’s go back as soon as possible.”

“I’m fine, Jae.”

“Then let’s go.” He took her hand in his and gently pulled her towards the direction they had come.

“Wait…” She held him back.

Jae turned around to look at her through the scattered moonlight, “Hmm?”

Hye slipped her hand into her dark blue cloak and produced a clean handkerchief. She shifted her hand to his forehead and started to dab away the sweat, moving his hair away from his handsome pair of eyes in the process. They looked luminous under the shadowy light.

Jae caught her wrist and was about catch her lips with his when he caught sight of the figure in the bushes. They were being followed. He couldn’t risk finding out if they were friend or foe.

Jae leaned closer to her and spoke softly, “Princess, when I count to three, run as fast as you can to the castle and I’ll be right behind you.”

“But Jae…”

“One… Two…”

“…why so sudden-“

“Three!”

Hye didn’t move an inch. Jae had to forcefully pull her with him. And sure enough, the figure in the bushes revealed himself. He sprinted after them. The stranger had incredible speed. It was only a matter of time before he caught up to them.

Jae pulled her in front of him. “Run faster! Get to the castle and call Ki…” The name slipped out of him.

Hye turned back to face him, “But I don’t want to leave you-“

Something of a blur appeared behind him, circling Jae’s throat. It looked like a rope. Hye couldn’t stop screaming out Jae’s name. She was terrified when she saw the rope tighten around his neck. He was abruptly jerked backwards and his streaming hair went limp. The light in her heart went out. Someone grabbed her from behind and by reflexes, she swung around ready to claw the attacker’s face with her well manicured nails.

Her fingernails grazed human flesh. It was Jun. It was Jun’s face she had so carelessly slashed at. The streaks on his beautiful face beaded red liquid. They swelled until the tension on the surface broke. The drops of blood ran over his cheekbones and down to his chin.

“Jun.” Hye whispered as she reached for the gashes on his face. Then, she remembered about Jae and tears welded up in her eyes. “Jun… please help Jae. He was… He was-“

Jun didn’t seem to hear her. He lifted her up on to his shoulder and started running like an animal towards the castle.

The whole time Hye was on his shoulder, she kept on crying out the same phrase over and over, “Jae is back there, Jun… we’re going the wrong way. Jae is back there…”

Suddenly, something shot out from between the trees towards Jun, hitting his ankle. He yelled out in pain as he tripped and fell with Hye protected in his arms. Despite the throbbing pain, Jun managed to prop himself up on one arm.

A cloaked man stepped out from between the trees. He removed his hood. Hye couldn’t believe her eyes. Had she fallen so hard that she was seeing things? Hye stared at the familiar face. The eyes, the hair, the features that were so like the man beside her.



Sykotica Notes: Inspired by Smashing Magazine's wallpaper.