Treble Bass

Sykotica Preview Layouts
XSYKOTICA








Volume II: Treble Bass ~ Dance of Death - Chapter Two
Once you take that hand of hers, it’s a one way trip. When the train departs, there's no getting off.
“A little more to the left, Henry!” Hero shouted across the large gap to his assistant who stood on an adjacent rooftop. Henry grumbled under his breath. Hero, his boss, was up to something again. Something dangerous and he wanted no part in it but… it wasn’t like he had a choice. He couldn’t quit. He couldn’t walk away. He had no guts to tell the man “no.” Henry did what he was told, moving the enormous metal rod attached to a long cable while dragging his feet.

“Now a few millimeters to the right and pull back. I want a clear shot.”

Henry rolled his eyes but followed Hero’s instructions, shifting to the right almost losing his balance in the process. The high winds didn’t help. Why were they doing this in such terrible weather? Hmm… he could kind of see how it fits the mood… gloomy weather… gloomy outcome. Seriously, every single experiment ends up being life threatening. In fact, sometimes Henry thinks all these crazy projects were poor excuses to invent new ways to die. Yet, he manages to survive time after time. It was one big mystery. Henry watched his boss skillfully balance himself on the ledge, trying to measure the angles with his odd looking apparatus. If only he would just slip and fall to his death, Henry thought selfishly. He wouldn’t have to help the crazy man anymore. Horribly evil thoughts… but he couldn’t help himself. Ahh… but if he died, wouldn’t that mean he’d be leaving behind his little pretty wife…

Speaking of wife…

“Your wife called.” The wind blew his voice back down his throat and he choked.

“What did you say, Henry?”

Henry swallowed. His throat was rather dry. He tried again anyway, “Your wife called!”

“Really? Why didn’t you put her through?” He stopped fiddling with the apparatus and stared at his assistant with a disapproving look.

“You were busy!”

Hero scrunched up his face into a scowl. “I’m always busy but I always make time for her if she needs me.”

Henry never thought of Hero as that kind of husband. He actually puts his wife before his work… but if that is the case, why doesn’t he stop pulling these dangerous stunts?

“What did she say?” Hero hopped down from the ledge and started to fuss with his other equally odd looking apparatuses.

“She said to stop all this madness and go home.”

Hero howled apparently very amused, “No way would she have said that. First of all, she would have said to “come home” instead of “go home.” Secondly, she would never call my work “madness.” She might have called me “mad” once or twice in bed but… anyway, you must have made this all up.”

That was a little too much information for Henry and it showed on his face like he had just tasted something bitter and sour at the same time.

He was frustrated with his boss. He was tired of being sent into panic every time his boss seemingly experiences near death. He concluded that it wasn’t good for the heart.

“Henry, you can let go now.”

Henry didn’t even bother asking why. Sure, he was afraid that the rod would come toppling down on his head at the very instant he released his grip on the thing but when the boss says something… it would be wise to just do it (even though it may sound crazy).

The giant metal rod miraculously stood tall on its own.

“Magic!”

“No, my good man. It’s all physics. You may return to the lower levels since you seem uncomfortable. Must be the height, eh?”

Henry was more than just uncomfortable and it wasn’t the height that made him so but he decided to keep that to himself. Henry was just relieved that he was no longer needed. Wait… what if something happens to the boss and he could have prevented it by just being present? Whatever… he decided to withdraw anyway but still … so frustrating…

Henry wasn’t the only one frustrated with Hero.

Even Death, herself, had a hard time dealing with the man. The sidewalk in front of the building was filled will people walking back and forth. Some wore professional suits and fashionable blouses and skirts. Some wore ‘never been washed’ clothes. Some talked on their phones and headsets. Some talked to thin air (probably an invisible friend or something). Cyndi stood amidst the crowd. Suprisingly, no one bumped into her as she gazed up into the sky.

He was definitely in this building. She simply walked in through the glass doors. She passed the guards without being stopped. She passed the front desk without being asked questions. She went up fifteen stories in the elevator full of people and no one even saw her. If only they could see her… they would have silently disapproved of her physical appearance. She wore a tight vinyl miniskirt with black net stockings and bright red pumps. They were at least twenty centimeters high and yet she was able to walk naturally in them as if they were part of her feet.

Mad skills.

She wore a killer corset that hugged her midsection so tightly, it was painful to look at (if people could see). But it gave her a very desirable hourglass figure. Death was irresistible, right? No harm in dress the part. Black eyeliner and dark blue mascara coated her extremely long lashes giving her eyes a very mysterious look. Just like how people find vampires attractive… even when their blood- habits aren’t very appealing. She’s Death but that dark mystery is enticing never the less. As the last person got off the fifteenth floor, she followed them out and headed for the door marked “stairs” and climbed the few steps up to the rooftop. She found Hero at work ‘trying to kill himself.’ Hero somehow sensed her presences and turned around and actually saw her standing there when no one else could. “What are you doing up here, Cyndi?” Hero then continued to look her up and down. “And what in the world are you wearing? You haven’t worn these kinds of clothes since our high school years.”

“What are you going on about... What’s with the name?”

Hero looked hurt, “Yes, I admit that sometimes I am so steeped in my work that I forget to take out the trash and what not but to forget my wifey’s name? Never!”

“What…? It’s me, you idiot. And who’s your wife?”

“Are you suffering from those woman symptoms again? I’ll can ask Henry to get you some of those pills and a glass of milk. They work wonders.”

Not only does he refuse to die, he was going crazy as well. What a mess.

“I don’t know why you think I’m your wife, but let me clear this up as quickly as possible so we can move on to more pressing matters. I’m Death and you’re supposed to die… NOW!”

“But… that can’t be right… how can my wife suddenly turn in to something so hideous and want me dead?”

She wanted to smack him across the head or better yet, give him a fatal blow that will end all her troubles. Who was his wife? Pfft, she was the almighty DEATH.

“No, the more reasonable question would be: How did I suddenly turn into your wife? You have obviously lost all senses and gone completely mad.”

It was definitely a freaky coincidence that his wife’s name was Cyndi. Definitely a coincidence.

There was a sudden commotion coming from the adjacent rooftop as Henry burst through the stairway door.

“Boss…” His eyes looked a little deranged.

“what is it, Henry?”

“She’s in the hospital…. She had a car accident and.. and… she’s-“

“Who is ‘she’?”

“Your wife…”



Sykotica Notes: Font can be changed manually for all text areas. Font size... probably all text areas too or maybe just the article body. If the author's note is long, it'll just cover up the bottom design so it will still work with long notes but you'll be missing out on the bottom swiggly designs lmao. See the thready swigglys at the bottom? Yeah, those. They will be covered up by a white background if the author note is super long. Also... the font I'm using for this is Pal... Pal... it starts with Pal if you were wondering. And yes, I drew this in live brush lmao better than drawing on their kindle like someone's infinite ocean, HINT HINT.