Chapter 47: Missing Pieces... TPOV

Meeting Each Other

 

Another day, another no show.

I sigh as I stare up the ceiling in the dark. It’s already 12:30 a.m. and I just can’t sleep. Did Charlotte just get off the radar the whole day? No one’s seen her since this morning. I want to apologize to her… Hell, I want to do something more than apologize.

I sit up in my bed. Apparently, the others are out of it, too. Jiyong and Seungri are still bickering, but it isn’t their usual playful banter. Seunghyun hyung stayed in his room the whole day. And I didn’t have enough courage to knock on his door and apologize. I sigh once more; I have to apologize to everybody actually. And Daesung… He came back to our dorm 9 a.m. I watched him walk around the dorm with shoulders slumped and eyes dead.

He stayed in the kitchen for a while, so my curiosity got the best me. I went and looked through the door. I found him leaning on the counter, staring blankly at the opposite wall. I could practically see gears turning with him thinking so much. I wanted to talk to him so bad… I still do. Aishh!

I hop out of my bed and walk out of my room, my hand trailing on the wall. Why is it so damn dark tonight? I tiptoe to the kitchen, but stop in my tracks. The kitchen lights are already on, and the kitchen door is closed. I press my ear against the door and only hear feet shuffling and someone muttering so low. I grab the doorknob and abruptly open the door.

The person jumps and freezes in his tracks.

“What are you doing, Daesung?” I ask. He must have been pacing back and forth with his phone in his hand. I see Daesung grip the phone tighter.

“Just wanted to get water.” Daesung says, weakly smiling. There it goes again. He’s lying.

I raise my eyebrow. “Really? Then why do you need your phone?”

“I-I needed a light to s-see.” He stutters.

“Really? Then why don’t I see a glass of water anywhere?”

Daesung looks around, looking like I caught him taking my money. At the corner of my eyes, I see him grip his phone even tighter.

“Why do you really have your phone, Daesung?” I ask, my eyes turning into slits, as I grow suspicious. He shakes his head once and doesn’t look at me. “Daesung,” I say softly. “You know you can talk to me about anything.”

Daesung sighs. “I know that, hyung. But…” He hesitates. “It’s just complicated.”

“I know there’s something you’re not telling me.” I say, making it more like a statement than a question.

He sighs once more. “Yes, there is.” He bites his lip. “But I don’t think it’s my business to tell.” He adds when he sees me open my mouth.

I look down at my feet, clenching and unclenching my fists. Why is he making it so difficult? Then something pops into my mind.

Did Charlotte—“ I choke. I close my eyes tightly as I remember the receptionist’s words. “Did Charlotte get hurt?” I say, my voice hoarse. Did I really make the right choice on bringing her up? Just thinking about her kills me enough already.

“How’d you know about that?” Daesung says, surprise evident in his voice.

I snap my head back up and meet his eyes. “You mean she really did get hurt?” I say, my surprise matching his.

His eyes widen as if he realized he made a mistake. “I-I…Um…”

“Tell me the truth.” I say, clenching my teeth. “Did Charlotte really did get hurt?”

Daesung looks away and nods slowly. “I heard she did get hurt, but I haven’t seen her.” Daesung stops. I stare at him as he bites down on his bottom lip. He’s not telling me something and now I know it’s about Charlotte. My heart wracks as the scene of her on the floor comes back to my mind.

“I tried to find her.” Daesung whispers, bringing me back to reality. “But I just couldn’t. I went to the hospital. They didn’t reveal anything to me at all even if they know about her. I even asked our driver. He refused to spill anything even if I told him what I heard.”

I stare blankly at Daesung. Why are they protecting Charlotte? Did something bad happen to her?

“I’m gonna go for a walk.” I mumble as I walk out of the kitchen. I quickly put on my shoes and walk out of our dorm. I subconsciously walk down the hall and turn right. I head over to her door and manage to hold the doorknob before I stop myself. What if she doesn’t want to see me? What if she’ll shout at me and say she hates me?

My heart drops as the thought comes into my mind. I shouldn’t think about that. Maybe she’ll forgive me… I shake my head. How could she forgive me if I hurt her?

I sigh and reluctantly let go of the doorknob. I turn my back and head out of the building instead. Leaving my heart with her just in case.