Chapter 30: Childhood Games...DPOV

Meeting Each Other
Charlotte never fails to amuse me. She always seems to be full of surprises. When I started going to the destination with her in tow, I thought she would’ve been asking me non-stop and whining. But she isn’t. She only asked once and she shrugs it off. I like that about her. I wouldn’t say that I like her the way YoungBae hyung does, but I hope to find someone like Charlotte one day. I get along with her easily. It’s kind of like with Jaesuk hyung and I; we don’t clash, just compliment. I smile mentally. I should introduce Charlotte to Jaesuk hyung or Hyori noona. I’m sure Hyori noona will love her. I wish I could bring her along to see the “Family”.

“Okay.” I sing when I see a glimpse of our destination. I stop just a few feet away. I go behind Charlotte and cover her eyes with both of my hands.

“What are you planning, Daesung?” She asks, turning her head left and right.

“Like I said, a place where we all used to love and enjoy when we were little.” I smile brightly. I start leading her towards the place. The closer we came, the louder I could hear the chattering. The beeping, the ringing, and the sound effects seem to give it all away. I could see the smile creeping on her face.

“What is this place?” She asks anyway.

“Just wait.” I laugh. We take a few steps closer until we’re right in front for it. People stop and stare at us. I smile at them as they start to whisper. “Ready?” I whisper in Charlotte’s ear. She nods. I slide my hands off her eyes and quickly jump in front of her. I spread my arms out. “Tada!”

Charlotte looks behind me and her eyes go wide. She opens and it forms into an “O” shape.

“What do you think?” I ask eagerly.

Her eyes take in every corner. “What I think about an arcade?” I nod, waiting for her answer. She suddenly smiles. “I love it.”

I jump and punch my fist in the air. I link my arm with hers and we excitedly run inside, going back to our childish ways little by little.
------------------------------------

“I win again!” I shout after two hours later.

“You did not!” Charlotte yells, frantically looking back and forth between our scores. We’re currently playing skee-ball. We’ve played 3 games already and I’ve won so far. I’m so proud of myself.

“Deny all you want. We both know I won again.” I sing.

Charlotte sighs in frustration and scratches her head. “I know I can win this.” I snort and stick my tongue out. She crosses her arms and scoffs, “Just because you’ve been winning, it doesn’t mean anything,”

“Yes, it does.” I smile teasingly.

“I’m positive I can win this time.” She continues as if I didn’t say anything. “Let’s do this: whoever wins next round buys us ice cream later.”

The people surrounding us giggle and talk amongst themselves. Charlotte seems to be used to all the fans by now. At first, I see her feel a little uncomfortable from all the staring, but she looks completely immune to it now. If she’s going to get famous, all the talk is going to rise on her.

I smile at her. “Don’t get your hopes up.”

We immediately start our games. I went first and scored 50. I roll the ball again and it went in 50. I smile at Charlotte. She rolls her eyes and urges me to continue. I chuckle and throw another. It goes in the 100! I glance at Charlotte, smug. She sticks her tongue out. I throw the last two and they both end in the 20’s. My total score is…240! I hear some applause in the background and I jump up and down. I turn to Charlotte with a huge smile on my face.

What I didn’t expect was a barely noticeable smirk on her lips. Then her eyes went wide as she looks at my score and the smirk was all gone. Did I just imagine it?

“Wah~” She says in awe. “Maybe I won’t win after all.”

I smile. “Try it anyway. Though, I know I’m not going to spend any money on ice cream soon.” She pinches my cheek hard and starts her game. I see her stare at the holes in front of her seriously, but I see that smirk playing on her lips again. It disappears as soon as it came.

She rolls the ball and it goes in the 100 quickly. I gape at her as she squeals while clapping her hands. She points to the hole, “See?”

I try to nonchalantly shrug. “Lucky.”

She rolls her eyes and lightly punches my arm. “We’ll see.” She smiles. She gets another ball and quickly rolls it. It goes right in the 100 again. My jaw drops as I see her grabbing another ball. Her hair covers her face as she looks down. I swear I saw that smirk again. What did I get myself into?

She throws the ball again and it shoots into the 10.

“Alright!” I yell. Maybe it was just luck from those previous shots.

“Not over yet.” Charlotte smiles. She rolls the next and it goes in the 10 again. I see her pout, but one side of her lips is twitching up. “One more.” She mutters.

She closes her eyes and sighs. She snaps her eyes back open and rolls the ball. Before I take a look to where the ball went, I see Charlotte burst with a full glowing smile. I hear the crowd exclaim and talk. I furrow my brows nervously as I glance at her score.

“Are you okay, Daesung? You look like you’re about to pass out. Maybe we should cool you off with ice cream.” Charlotte whispers in my ear. At the corner of my eyes, I see her eyes shine. “Your treat.” She laughs out loud and pinches my cheek.

“Aishh.” I grumble as she takes my hand and leads us out. This is unbelievable. How could she get 320 points in all when she couldn’t even reach the hundreds before? I see the smirk coming back on her lips as we head over to the food court. That’s when it hits me. I sling my arm around her neck and hold her in a headlock. “Did you just trick me?” I whisper in her ear.

I see her smile. “You just figured that out?”

I playfully growl in her ear. “That’s not fair.”

“Hey, hey, hey.” She sings. “You did win the first 3 games.” She laughs.

I let go of her, but keep my arm around her shoulders. “Great acting.” I smile teasingly at her. “You had me fooled.”

She laughs as we walk up to the ice cream stand. Charlotte her lips as she hungrily stares at the ice cream. I pinch her cheek.

“You like ice cream that much?” I ask. The employee smiles widely at me, but slides her eyes over to Charlotte with a glare.

Charlotte smiles weakly at the employee, but answers my question. “I don’t get to eat ice cream much.”

“What do you want?” I gesture at the various ice cream flavors.

“Pistachio.” She smiles.

I point to the Pistachio and Vanilla. The employee smiles brightly while she scopes up the ice cream. Charlotte snatches her cone before I even get a chance to touch it. I was just about to take out my wallet when the employee says, “Thank you. Come again.”

I look at the employee, dumbfounded. “But, I haven’t even paid yet.”

The employee glances behind me for a minute. I turn my head and see Charlotte her ice cream quickly. I look back at the employee. She smiles at me widely.

“It’s on me.” She says, taking another glance at Charlotte behind me.

“Thank you. Well, bye!” Charlotte links her arm with mine and leads me away from the stand. We sit across from each other at the table closest to the windows. Charlotte happily eats her ice cream while looking out the window, a peaceful expression on her face.

“You’ve never really eaten ice cream before?” I ask, eating more of my ice cream. Ah, it’s so cold.

“The last time I’ve eaten ice cream was 5 years ago.” Charlotte whispers. I choke on my ice cream. I start coughing. Charlotte looks at me in alarm and rushes to my side. She pats my back.

I force myself to stop and I clear my throat. “I’m fine, thank you.” I mutter. She goes back to her seat and continues looking out the window, eating her ice cream peacefully.

“5 years?” I ask in disbelief. Charlotte nods, not meeting my eyes. “Didn’t you want it sometimes?”

Charlotte sighs and looks down at her lap. “No.” She whispers, making me strain to hear her. “I made myself restrain from eating it.”

“But…why?” I ask in wonder.

She finally looks at me, tears forming. I gape at her in shock. I was about to rush to her side when she gives me a weak smile, something that makes me sad. I don’t like this expression on her. This isn’t right. I stand up and walk over to her side. I take her ice cream and throw both of ours in the trash. I hold Charlotte’s hand firmly and take her right outside. The thing I like most about this mall is that it has a huge balcony for people who want to eat outside or something.

I lead Charlotte to the right side. We sit down on a bench. Charlotte silently stares at the sky. I squeeze her hand. She slowly turns her head towards me.

“Will you tell me?” I ask. The way she acted… I know there’s a story behind this. She gives me another weak smile. She sighs as she stares back out at the view. We sat in silence for what seem like hours. Maybe she doesn’t want to talk about it, I’ll understand it. I just don’t want to see her at the edge of tears. I stay seated next to her, playing with her fingers. After a while, the sky got a little darker.

“Do you know why I love looking at the sky?” She whispers. I snap my head up and look at her. She’s still looking up at the sky. I didn’t answer. She quietly sighs.

“I guess I have a story to tell.”
-------------------------
A/N: Surprise...? I'm not sure if I should call it a surprise or not, but whatever.

So, I figured I should write a quick Daesung point of view. I mean Dae does seem to know everything *rolls eyes* I actually found myself enjoying while I was writing Dae's POV. It's kind of fun.

How'd you like this chapter? Comments, please:)