CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Because You Have Him

Chaerin's POV

[ at her workplace/restaurant ]

Clean, clean, clean.

~Ding!

I heard the bell so I quickly greeted the customers.

"Hello, I'll be your waitress for today, may I ask how many people you will be sitting with in a table?" I kindly greeted.

"Four people altogether and could you bring one high chair for my baby?"

"Sure! Please follow me," I led them to a table with four chairs and brought a high chair for the baby. I brought them the menus and waited for their order, while I waited I looked at the family. The looked so happy together, I remembered my parents how my dad use to spoil me but my mum scolded him, saying that she didn't want me to get use to the things I had.

The family were those types of families that never had fights, only if they did they would be joking around. Since I was quite smart for my age, I try not to brag about it, I could easily memorise their orders so I didn't need a notebook. I also worked as the chef if I was needed, after the family ordered, I made my way to the kitchen and started to prepare the food. The restaurant wasn't famous, it was a local restaurant and I liked it a lot because the workers treated me nicely.

I finished making the food in just minutes and brought it to the family. I was about to leave when the man, who I assume to be the father stopped me.

"Excuse me, what is your name?"

"Chaerin, sir," I answered.

"You are a very bright lady and may I ask what age you are?"

"I'm seventeen years old, sir"

"Ahh, my son is just a little bit older than you, carry on with your work." he said.

I was quite puzzled to why that man had asked about myself, I somehow got this feeling that we would meet again, in a good way of course.

"Chaerin! Order's up, table 5 !"said Yuri, my good and first friend that I've made in America [note: it's a different Yuri. not the bully]. I hurried my way to her and put the food onto the tray and made my way to table 5. There was only one person sitting at that table, a man, with his back faced towards me.

"Here you go sir," I said before taking a look at him...

The eyes I remembered. Those eyes that frightened me, he was the one that dragged me into the alleyway. I composed my face and pretended that I didn't know him let alone seen him before. After putting the food on his table, I quickly asked for a break and ran outside.

"Don't worry Chaerin, we're in a public restaurant with lots of people. He can't do anything. I should be thankful that he doesn't recognise me," I said to myself.

After he left, I felt more safe. I couldn't report it to the police, and even if I could I didn't have any evidence whatsoever.

It was dark when I finished work, I walked quickly into my house. My Aunty was watching TV.

"What took you so long? Why are you coming home so late? It's almost 12," she asked suspiciously. She doesn't know that I've been working. "Well?" she asked again. I had to tell her the truth, I really couldn't think of a reason why I was always late.

"I found a job at a local restaurant," I answered. For a second my Aunty didn't say anything, then she smirked.

"For how long?" she asked.

"I guess, for a couple of months now," I replied back. My Aunty was mumbling something to herself, I didn't hear all of it though.

"Give me the money." she demanded. I didn't believe what I just heard, was she asking for my money? I wanted to save it and now, once I told her I had a job all she thinks about is money, not even a 'good for you.'

"Give me the money now," she demanded again with a more aggressive tone in her voice.

"N-no, I don't want to," I said frightenly, I was trying to stand up for myself. I guess my own voice betrayed me by stuttering.

"GIVE ME THE MONEY NOW !!" she screamed. She grabbed my collar and started searching in my pockets. She slapped me and kept screaming at me, asking me where I put the money. Easy, I thought. In my diary, only that I didn't say it to her.

My Aunty grabbed a small broom and started whacking me, she whacked my back and legs repeatedly while she asked where I put the money. She then pulled me up and pushed me out the door.

"You aren't getting in until you tell me where you put the money,"she said as she was about to close the door. She stopped halfway and said,"and don't think that I'm going to give you food because I won't. Worthless piece of trash."

She shut the door with a loud slam and went inside and continued watching the television. I sighed and tried to make myself comfortable outside. This wasn't the first time she kept me out, tonight was a cold night though.