Fortieth

At First Sight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Han Seungyeon

“Seungyeon!”

I sniffed and wiped my tears away. What was In-Na doing here? Hugging my knees closer to myself, I wanted to appear smaller and hoped that she wouldn’t spot me. (although I was sitting on a bench)

“Seungyeon! Where are you?” In-Na called out again, her voice sounding louder and clearer. I closed my eyes and chanted ‘go away’ in my mind. I wanted some time on my own. Peace and quiet for me to sort out my feelings.

“Where is she- Han Seungyeon!” I heard In-Na’s footsteps getting louder and I braced myself. “Yeon-ah! I finally found you. Where did you run off to?” She placed her hands on my shoulders. I gulped and sniffed softly. Telling myself, ‘ in those tears Seungyeon, in those tears’, I lifted my head slightly.

“Hey-” She muttered, “Your eyes are puffy. Come here.”

Wrapping her arms around me, she held me in a tight embrace. The warmth from her hug reminded me of my deceased mother. Letting out an ugly sob, I returned the hug, wrapping my arms around her and resting my head on her shoulder. I choked, “In-Na… What sh-should I d-do?”

She pat my head softly using one hand and her other hand rubbed my back to comfort me.

“Do you want to talk about it?” In-Na asked cautiously.

“L- Later.” I mumbled and shook my head at the same time. In-Na nodded, “Okay.”

After about 1 hour of silence for me to calm down, we sat side by side on the bench as we listened to the soft blowing of wind by the Han River. I loved to come here. This was where my father had decided to propose to my mother. In addition, this was also the last place where my family – my father, mother, Seunggwan and I – had spent time together before their deaths.

“Do you feel better?” In-Na asked as she squeezed my hand. I nodded in response. She continued, “It’s 11.58pm. 2 minutes before midnight.”

I nodded. I didn’t understand the importance of her telling me this. Was it a special occasion? Was it someone’s birthd- Oh no.

I gasped.

In-Na chuckled as she rubbed circles at the back of my hand, “Make a wish before it’s too late. You have one more minute.”

I smiled, touched by the fact that she had remembered by birthday when I did not remember it myself. “In-Na…”

“Shhh… Although I don’t have cake, just make a wish.” She cut in.

I smiled, closed my eyes and placed my palms together, “I wish…” that we’ll be friends forever.

“Happy birthday, Seungyeon. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to celebrate it happily with you. I promise I’ll make it up to you one day.”

“You don’t have to.” I shook my head and hugged her. Because she gave me the best present I could ever receive: friendship.

~

“You don’t have to force yourself to tell me.” In-Na said softly. It was past 1 am and we were still by the Han River.

I told myself that I had to be truthful. In-Na would be here for me. There was nothing to be afraid of. Taking a breath, I said, “I told you that I liked Sehun 2 days ago… Today, at the noraebang, I waited outside a few rooms and I overheard a conversation between a man and woman. They- they were kissing… inside one of the rooms and I found out that the man was Sehun. I think S- Sehun has a girlfriend.”

 

Side

“Where the hell is Oh Sehun?!” Kai yelled as he gripped his hair in rage. Boy was Sehun hard to find in this small city.

“Yeol and I have searched all the places he used to go when he was a kid but we couldn’t find him.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter