Thirtieth

At First Sight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Han Seungyeon

I started tutoring Mihyo. It was fun getting to know a young girl with a condition similar to mine. Once in a while she would start throwing tantrums and refusing to cooperate, but after a while she would break down and start crying. I didn’t blame her. I used to be like that, maybe even worse.

When it was raining heavily, I had threatened to jump into the Han river and it took 3 hours to get me away from the river edge.

I was glad I was able to be by Mihyo’s side as she started to accept her disability. We brought her to the doctor a week after that, and he recommended that Mihyo should visit the psychiatrist. The headmaster and I brought Mihyo there the next day.

“It’s the pre-depression stage.” The psychiatrist said as she explained the signs Mihyo had. She offered to give Mihyo counseling sessions for the next 2 months. She held Mihyo’s hand, “Hopefully, it wouldn’t get worse and result in actual depression. It’s more serious, especially for a young girl like her.”

Mihyo started tearing up and eventually she agreed to attend counseling sessions on one condition: I had to accompany her.

From then on, I accompanied her to every single session. It was helpful, even for me. Dealing with blindness wasn’t easy, but the psychiatrist was able to help Mihyo and I think more positively about it.

I had never attended counseling sessions before because headmaster was the one to assist me whenever I needed support. He became my second father and often brought me out to have fun. He taught me how to live life to the fullest, even if I was blind. Afterwards, he decided to set up the institution for the disabled and I was his little helper.

After one month, Mihyo’s condition improved tremendously. She didn’t cry as often as before and she smiled more.

After telling my grandmother about Mihyo, she said, “Let her listen to classical music. It might help her calm down more easily.” That day, I asked the headmaster to help me buy tickets of a piano and violin concert which was going to be held the next day.

Fortunately, Mihyo enjoyed the concert and wouldn’t stop talking about the violin. She wrapped her short arms around my waist and thanked me after the concert. “Let’s go again next time unnie! Let’s learn the violin too! Can unnie learn with me?”

“If we can find a good teacher, why not?” I smiled and hugged her back, “It’s not too late. Are you hungry?”

“Yes!” She exclaimed, holding tightly onto my hands and skipping forward.

“Careful! Don’t bump into other people!” I reminded her as I kept my other hand on the railing, leading us out of the concert hall.

I brought Mihyo to a fishcake stall which was outside the concert hall, then I led her to the bus stop to sit down and eat. As we ate our fishcake, a few buses passed by but only one bus stopped at the bus stop.

“…I’m on my way to Luhan hyung’s house.” A man exited the bus as he talked on the phone. I knew who he was. I was 100 percent sure it was Oh Sehun. I had to be right.

I called out to him, hoping he would respond. It seemed as if it was a reflex action to just call out to him. I didn’t have any motive. I just did it. He stopped talking on the phone and I was certain he heard me. Somehow, I expected him to respond after he stopped walking too, but the weird thing was that he continued walking and talking on his phone like nothing happened. Did he just ignore me?

“Do you know that person?” Mihyo asked out of curiosity.

“No.” My grip on the fishstick tightened, “I must have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter