Eleventh

At First Sight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Han Seungyeon

“Mihyo! I told you not to hurt yourself! Didn’t I tell you countless times that glass is dangerous!”

Mihyo screamed and I heard more sounds of glass breaking. I gripped onto the railing and stopped walking. I wasn’t going to enter the room when Mihyo was freaking out.

“NO! I want to end my life! What’s the use of living when I can’t see!” She yelled, as I heard the headmaster, calling for more assistance.

The words echoed  in my mind, “What’s the use of living when I can’t see.”

Then, why am I still here? I started walking towards the room. With trembling hands, I opened the door and the sounds of Mihyo crying and struggling echoed into my ears. Something like this was quite common, there were a few others who wanted to get to the rooftop to commit suicide. What 10-year-old Mihyo did, wasn’t as serious as the others.

Well, since this place is the Institute for the Blind.

“Seungyeon!” The headmaster called. I nodded in response.

“Could you help me get some bandages from the minimart? The institution is running out of them and I know I can count on you to get them.”

“Alright.” I agreed and headed back to my classroom to get my walking stick. The headmaster would never allow a blind person to leave the institution without notice and without a walking stick.

I found myself walking quickly to the minimart. Mihyo’s wounds needed to be tended soon, or else she might get an infection. I can’t help to recall the past when I wanted to do the same. I was about to take the broken glass piece to slash my wrist and my arms until the headmaster stopped me. He was the one who brought light to the other blind students, although at times we still wanted to resort to pain.

Upon reaching the minimart, I asked the counter for some plasters and bandages and paid for them using the money the headmaster passed to me.

I thanked the counter and walked out of the minimart. I stopped as I stepped outside and I felt a presence in front of me. The person stepped to the side and I gave a nod. Increasing the speed of my steps, I reached the traffic light. I had to get the bandages back as soon as possible.

The beeping sound started and I made quick steps across the road. I heard a loud engine noise that increased in volume each second passed. My palms started sweating and my legs felt numb. My pace slowed down and before I knew it the engine noise was so loud, my ears hurt.

Suddenly, I heard a loud scream from a passerby and my body was hurled to the ground, with someone’s weight above me. The person panted loudly and I heard a sound of tires speed past.

The person groaned loudly in pain and my eyes widened.

Oh Sehun.

The person sounded like Oh Sehun.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter