Valentine

Baby Story II

Baekyun’s POV

So it was Valentine’s day.

Well, Yeol was not exactly the most romantic person in the world. In fact, I was pretty sure he was one of the least romantic human being that ever existed. Not one for poetry and pretty words, he simply wasn’t the type who would say romantic things just for the sake of saying them.

Granted, I loved it when he said lovely things to me. But the fact that it was so rare made those words all the more potent.

Besides, his love for me shone through the tiny actions that he did. Small gestures but they spoke volumes. Little things but major feels.

For example, there was one particular night. Hwan was soon turning three months. Being at such a tender age, he seldom slept through the night, waking up every two to three hours to nurse. Often we took turns to get up from sweet slumber to feed him. One night, around 1am, Hwannie started whining. That was the signal that he was hungry and it was important to feed him before it became a full blown crying session that would wake up the whole dormitory. Yeol had just returned from a long day of events and was completely exhausted so I told him to sleep and leave the feeding for that night to me.

To avoid disrupting anymore of Yeol’s sleep, I cradled the baby out into the living room to feed him. Turning on the TV, I leaned back into the couch and propped my legs up on the coffee table, resting the baby snuggly on my chest. Wrapping a blanket over the both of us, I settled in comfortably and listened to the comforting rhythmic sounds of Hwan on the rubber tip. It was completely unintentional, perhaps it was exhaustion, maybe it was the comfortable position I was in but eventually, I fell asleep.

It was satisfying and completely rejuvenating sumber. Deep sleep completed with the sweetest of dreams.

The next morning, I woke up naturally and stretched my arms over my head. My eyes still shut, I smiled at the full night’s sleep that I hadn’t had in a while. Full night’s sleep. FULL NIGHT’S SLEEP?! My eyes flew open and I looked down at my chest, only to find my arms and chest empty. The clock in the living room said that it was eight in the morning. Terror griped my soul as I flung open the blanket. The empty milk bottle was still on the table. The TV was turned off. I only fed him at 1am. If it was like any other nights, he would wake up to feed again at 3am and then 6am. I had no recollection of feeding him again after 1am, neither did I remember getting up from this couch to bring him back into the room. 

Panic coursed through every fibre of my body as I frantically searched the living room. Did I sleep-walk? Did I drop the baby on the floor? I raced back to the bedroom I shared with Yeol and the sight that greeted me caused my heart to thump even harder.

 

But for a different reason.

 

There he was, wrapped in a blanket, sleeping where I always slept on my bed, his giant body curled protectively around the tiny baby. Both fast asleep, oblivious to my panic attack. Two empty milk bottles sat on our dressing table. Soft snores from Yeol and deep breathing from Hwan.

He took over the feeding even though he was just as exhausted as I was, if not more, just so that I could sleep a little more.

I loved the way he stuck even closer to me when we were out in the public. Even during peformances, like at the Oak Valley Festival, he never left my side. I loved when he helped the coordi noona fix my outfit. I loved when he let me hold the award when I knew how much he wanted to. I loved how he could make me smile so easily.  And then there were times when he knew exactly what to say to make me feel better. Hwan was still tiny. A lot more sturdy than he first arrived into this world, but still fragile nonetheless.

My hands were a lot steadier when carrying him now. I used to be so nervous about dropping this precious being that my hands would shake. Parenthood wasn’t something that anyone could get used to overnight. Now that I had been at it for three months now, I could only hope that I was doing it right. Every cry, every whimper, every frown, and my heart would drop. Was he hungry? Was he in pain? Was he feeling uncomfortable? Was he cold? Was he sick? These questions constantly haunted me throughout the day. Was it normal? To worry this much? Well, I guess it was, considering how precious this child was to me.

But ultimately it was Yeol who maintained a calm disposition and gave me the encouragement and advice I needed.

It was at some award show, which one I couldn’t exactly remember. I had no idea what triggered it but suddenly my mind was on Hwan.I guessed it showed on my face because the next thing I noticed was the eyes of a certain handsome giant on me. And he gave me a grin. Just like that. It was hard not to smile when someone as good looking as him was smiling at you. His eyes twinkled brightly as he leaned forward to whisper in my ear. “Quit worrying! If your wrinkles deepen anymore, people will think that you are Hwan’s grandfather” How could I not laugh at that? I loved how in tune he was with my emotions.

And the best part? I knew he expected nothing from me. It was times like thse when I could see how much he cared for me. Wordless gestures that need not be spoken, just noticed. There was simply no need for words. He did it without wanting anything in return. He did it because he wanted to.

And how did I know that? Remember when he went on that Jungle show?

To be honest, he almost didn’t go. He didn’t want to leave me and Hwannie. But it was in the news and there was a huge issue about it. So many of our fans were looking forward to it. So I told him to just go and enjoy himself. I too didn’t want him to go. Not because I didn’t want him to leave me behind but because I was worried he might get hurt or sick. It wasn’t the safest or the cleanest show on Korean television. I worried that he was going to injure himself. I worried that he might get enough to eat. I worried that the sunbaenims on the show might not like it. Yes, I know, I worry toomuch. So I made and packed some red chilli paste. I hid it in his luggage and only messaged to inform him when he was out of Korea.

And I got chided for that.

For not taking care of myself and working to make that red chilli paste for him.

“How could I leave you behind for these few days? I shouldn’t have agreed to do this show. I don’t trust you to take care of yourself.”

His exact words.

Maybe his words were meant to scold me, but it made me feel as if I was a priority in his life. It made me feel important.

I thought I couldn’t love this man any more than I could at this very moment, but I am pretty sure he would prove me wrong.

 

 

Riding high on this trip down the recent memory lane and being the romantic one, I decided to send him a text, even though he was in the bedroom and I was just outside in the living room.

 “If you are sleeping, send me your dreams. If you are laughing, send me your smile. If you are eating, send me a bit. If you are drinking, send me a sip. If you are crying, send me your tears. Happy Valentine’s day! I love you!”

Honestly, there was little I knew with full certainty.

But there was one thing.

Just one thing.

 

 

 

This was the man for me.

 

 

 

 

*Beep

One new message

“I am in the toilet. Please advise.”

 

Right.

Not the romantic type. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: A short (sorry!) chapter for Valentine's day! Happy (belated) Valentine's day to all you lovely subbies!

At an award show

At the jungle show

Yeol helping Baek fix his shirt

Yeol passing the award to Baek

At Oak Vallel Festival

Let's not ignore the way Baek looks at Yeol

And! a little bonus (I didn't write about this in my story but it was too gd to miss)

Baekyeol, Xiuchen, Sulay and a possible Kaisoo(?) as seatmates on the plane on Valentine's day~

(Credits to the owners of the pics and gifs!)