Birthday

Baby Story II

Baekhyun's POV

SM dressing room

Today was going to be such a special day! My hyung is getting married!

My Byun hyung.

My real brother.

My brother was getting married!

 

"Stay still, Byun Baekhyun!" my coordi noona said sternly.

It was such an exciting event that I could hardly stand still in my chair as she struggled to beautify my face. Trust me, I was making an effort to stay in that chair when all I wanted to do was jump up and down with excitement and joy. For starters, weddings were always a joyous event. I had met the bride-to-be, my sister-in-law and she was one of the nicest lady I had ever had the pleasure to meet. But by far, the best thing was the fact that I was going to meet my brother and other family members! I had hardly been able to talk to them on the phone, let alone meet them! I just couldn't wait to be in the presence of my family once again. As I shrugged on my dress jacket and took one last look at the mirror, a certain giant that I loved so much snakes his arm around me. His other hand casually rested on my belly, his wide fingers sprayed wide to carry the area of my slowly expanding stomach. Tilting my head upward slightly, I allowed access to my lips as he gently bent down and planted a long soft kiss on them. Sweet, warm and everything nice. As he pulled back, his parting words were, "Stay safe, sweetheart, have fun." His smile was the last thing etched in my mind before I was whisked off to the van and driven off to the wedding venue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chanyeol's POV

SM training room

I wanted to go.

Not because I was particularly fond of his family. Granted, they were nice people, excluding his dad, but they were the ones who failed to see in their own grief and sorrow how affected the young Baek was in the absence of a fatherly figure. And yet that pure and innocent fiancée of mine was practically jumping up and down at the prospect of seeing his family again.

No.

I wanted to go because I had a nagging feeling that I just couldn’t shake off. I felt like something bad was just waiting to happen. I felt like something was just waiting to go wrong. But I didn’t have any evidence to substantiate my gut feeling, let alone prove that something was really going to go wrong. I didn’t have the heart to burst his happy bubble. I wanted to go, to be able to protect him if the time called for it. But guess who had to stay behind and prepare for his MC gig on Music Core? That’s right. Me.

At least Kyungsoo was going with him.

Throughout the whole preparation process, it was definitely safe to say that my mind was rarely on the cue cards I had in front of me. My thoughts often wandered off to a certain wedding and a certain someone. It was so bad that the teacher coaching me on how to MC got so fed up with me and ended the coaching session early simply because I just wasn’t absorbing anything he was saying. The moment I was released from the training room, I headed straight to find a available manager to drive me down to the wedding venue.

“No, I can’t, Yeol ah. You are under-dressed with no hair and makeup done, plus you have no invitation to enter the private wedding. The wedding is already halfway through, by the time you actually arrive there, it’d be over.”

“You don’t understand, hyung! I need to be there to protect him!”

“Protect him from what? If something bad went wrong, I’m sure he would have called you by now.”

Ugh. Why did I even bother? No one was going to believe my ‘gut’ feeling. With no means to get down to the venue, I whipped out my phone next and punched the oh-so-familiar number into the digital number pad. I just needed to hear his voice. I just needed to know that everything was well and running smoothly. The monotonous ringing tone went on and on with no answer as I frustratedly paced up and down in the long hallway of the SM building.

“Why isn’t he answering his phone?” I screamed franctically at the phone as I punched in the numbers once again.

Panic was bubbling up my throat just as Jongin’s head popped out from a dance training room where he was practicing with Yixing hyung and Hyoyeon sunbaenim for some dance collaboration.

“What happened, Yeol? I heard you shouting...”

“Baek isn’t answering his phone!”

“Well, maybe he’s busy? Kyungie isn’t answering either. They are at a wedding, Yeol. That means guests. And guests means entertaining. They’re just busy, Yeol. Calm down.”

Fine.

Since he wasn’t answering the phone, the next best option was the internet. I know I know, not the best but I was desperate. I was pretty sure some of the guests at the wedding were fans of EXO or at least knew who they were.

Bad idea.

Bad bad idea.

The minute I searched ‘Baekhyun’s brother’s wedding’, so many netizen reports presented themselves in the forms of photographs and fan accounts.

People standing on chairs.

People completely underdressed for a wedding in the wedding hall.

Guests voicing their disappointment in EXO’s fans.

EXO members stuck in a crowd.

The more I read, the more frantic I became. I had a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach, like when you're swimming and you want to put your feet down on something solid, but the water's deeper than you think and there's nothing there.

I looked wildly round the empty computer room.

For inspiration?

For divine intervention?

I didn’t know.

The blinding panic and insane sense of fear completely incapacitated me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baekhyun's POV

In the van, on the way back to the SM building

I was in such a good mood, I couldn’t stop chattering away.

The wedding proceeded without any major hitch. We left the ceremony slightly earlier because we had a birthday party planned for the twins tonight. Right now, we were dropping by the SM building to collect the members who had practice today before heading back to the dormitory. Even Kyungsoo was smiling brightly, although it was probably because it was the twin’s first birthday tomorrow. Since we had a schedule tomorrow, we had planned to have a mini birthday celebration for them today.

“I can’t believe they’ll be one year old tomorrow!” I exclaimed.

Kyungsoo nodded enthusiastically and said, “I know! They are growing way too fast!” His cheeks flushed with a slight tinge of pink. The pride on his face as a father of two beautiful sons was radiant and indeniable. It made me extremely excited to be a father of my own son! Rainbow! I couldn’t wait to meet him! My fingers automatically went to my slightly round stomach as I sighed with contentment.

Pretty soon, we were outside the SM building where a group of fangirls had gathered at the entrance of the building. Not an unusual sight. We stayed put in the van and waited for the other members to exit the building. I craned my neck to stare at the door, waiting for my giant to appear. Although I had an excellent time at the wedding ceremony today, it would have been way better if he were there too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chanyeol's POV

“Yeol! The van’s here.”

Van?

What van?

I was still seated in the dark computer room when Jongin knocked on the door to inform me that the van was here.

“Come on, Yeol! Time to go! They’re waiting for us!”

Then something finally clicked in my panicky blank brain that Baek was here. And it was in that moment of sheer terror and desperation that propelled me forward, racing towards the exit of the building. My legs ached, my lungs burned but none of that mattered. My hair was dishevelled, my clothes were crinkled and uncoordinated I didn’t care.

As the sliding door painstakingly slowly slide open, my eyes frantically searched the crowds. A distance ahead, parted by the crowd between us, was Baek waving from the opened door of the van. Our eyes met and locked as I slowly made my way through the crowd. Constant screaming from the crowd, girls around me pressing me from all directions, forcing all the air out of my lungs, but I’d forgotten about doing anything so basic as breathing. My eyes remained on him, as his did on me. A bright smile lined his face but as he took in my panicked expression, it turned downward into a questioning look with a concerned thinning of his lips.

I shut the van door behind me, effectively drowning the screams and blinding the crowd from Baek.

I took a huge breath, my eyes still wide with wild panic as I dropped to my knees of the floor of the van in front of Baek, head bowed, long- hands spread out on my thighs. I took another deep breath and didn’t move.

“Yeollie? What are you doing?” I felt Baek’s hands on my arms as I continued to stare down, not looking at him. It was as if my mind went into shutdown.

“Yeollie! What are you doing?” His voice was turning high-pitched. “Yeol, look at me!” he command in panic. My head swept up and I regarded him passively with my tired brown eyes. I was exhausted. I was so tired.

“Why didn’t you pick up your phone?” I breathed.

“Huh? Wha--?” He reached into his pants pocket to fish out his phone. His eyes widened at the screen. “34 missed called?! What happened?!”

“I just… I saw on the internet… I thought…” I was shaking and trembling so hard that I lost my ability to form coherent sentences. I was completely disorganized hopelessly in mind and spirit. It was such a shattering and dislocating experience that it felt as if my heart emptied itself of all feeling whatsoever.Before I knew it, tears were welling up and I just reached forward to wrap my arms around him. I buried my face in his shoulder and wept. His hands smoothed over my back as he whispered soothingly in my ear, “Shh… it’s ok it’s ok.”

 

 

At that point in time, I thought that was the worst possible blind panic experience I would ever experience in my life.

Who knew the next day, the very next day…

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyungsoo's POV

Back at the dormitory

Outside the SM building, I had quickly changed vans so that I could ride home in the comfort of being in Jongin’s arms. Although he was sticky and reeked of sweat, I couldn’t find it in myself to feel disgusted. In fact, this was one of my favourite image of him. The dancer side of him. Firm muscles lined his arms, defined from the hours of dance practice, who wouldn’t want to trace their fingers along that?!

The moment we walked through the door, we were greeted with balloons and and streamers decorating the entire living room. Maybe it wasn’t the best idea to leave the decorating to Kris, seeing how many of his drawings were put up on the walls. But he and Tao was the two who were free so the party set-up was left in their hands. Don’t get me wrong; I was very grateful but Kris’s drawings weren’t exactly the things I wanted my sons to learn from.

That aside, I was practically giddy with excitement.  Our boys were turning one! I couldn’t believe it! As I exchanged a look with Jongin, we were both bursting with pride. Standing in the middle of the decorated living room, in front of the huge banner that read “Happy 1st birthday, Jungwoo a& Dongwoo”, Jongin gathered me in his arms and we held each other in a long embrace. The year went by so quickly and yet it was filled with countless precious memories. No words could explain the immerse amount of feelings and emotions that were running through my mind.

Then, we brought the boys out from our room. Their chubby arms clinged on to our shirst as their wide eyes took in the bright and colourful decorations. Squealing with delight, they tried to reach for the balloons, attracted by the bright colours. Soon, some guests arrived. Our CEO. Some of our managers and coordi noonas. Yongguk and Himchan hyun g with their precious daughter, Suchan. And the party was on its way. The twins were showered with gifts and hugs as they grinned widely at whoever was talking to them.

Soon it was time to cut the cake. Jongin and I decided that this was the best time to let them try chocolate for the first time of their lifes. So we prepared two small chocolate cakes and a bigger one for the guests. We had spent the entire day yesterday baking and watched expectedly as we presented the cakes to the twins.

Dongwoo was more courageous as he took in his blue-iced chocolate cake. Seated in his high chair, he excitedly patted the cake causing his hands to turn blue and huge crumbs of cake flying through the air. He then scooped the cake and smeared it all over his face in his cute little attempt to put it in his mouth. Eventually, he gave up bringing the cake to his mouth and simply dived head first into the cake.

Jungwoo, on the other hand, was very cautious at first. He poked his red-iced cake several times and stared at his brother practically inhaling cake before taking a tentative bite into his own chocolate. It was simply adorable the way his eyes widened and his face lit up when he tasted chocolate for the first time.

All of us couldn’t stop laughing at their cute entics and the way they demolished their cakes. They were so into it and completely determined to try and eat the own cake even as they seemed to reach exhaustion. Guests were already starting to leave. Eventually, we had to gently pry the two babies away from their repective chocolate cakes and carry the comatose babies to the bathtub.

As Jongin and I cleaned up the chocolate coated babies, we couldn’t help but laugh at the way they seemed to have more cake on them than in them

“Well, literally diving in face first to a cake is the highest compliment an infant can pay to us as bakers, if you think about it,” Jongin joked.

As we tucked the twins to bed, Jongin s his arm around my waist and we looked over the crib at the two peacefully sleeping. We both said nothing but I was sure that we were both thinking the same thing.

 

 

 

Happy first birthday, my sons.

I love you two so very much. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

Hey subbiesss.......

 

*deep bow* I know I haven't updated for a while now... Sorry >< work had been crazy and I simply didn't have the time to write :(

Anyways, I was wondering about Baekyeol's baby's name and decided to let you guys choose, I'm open to suggestions so leave a comment below ^^

 

Banghim with a baby girl~