Blank

Baby Story II

Baekhyun’s POV

Kolon Sports Photoshoot

I traced my fingers along my bare belly absentmindedly under my shirt as my coordi noona fixed the thick parka jacket over my shoulders. My fingers met with another set of fingers and we playfully intertwined our fingers under my shirt. Yeol grinned and rest his head on my shoulder.

At 27 weeks, I didn’t look 27 weeks by pregnancy standards. Coming to an end with the second trimester, I was still barely showing. Sure, my usually flat belly had a pooch but it sure didn’t look like a 27 week pregnant belly. Under large baggy clothes, no one could really tell. Rainbow had been moving a lot lately, flipping from side to side. The movements usually start in the evening, sometimes stretching into the night. Seemed like I had a nocturnal crazy baby in me. Like fathers, like son. Yeollie absolutely loved to lie on his side beside me with on hand propping up his head and his other hand on my belly. He would be just contented to spend hours in this position, feeling every move Rainbow made.

Suddenly, my throat felt awfully dry. Once coordi noona was done fussing over how I looked, I pushed up from the chair and slowly made my way to the pantry area. Following closely behind me, Yeol kept his hand on the small of my back. As I reached for the glass jug to fill a glass with water, another hand reached forward and completed the task for me. Glancing up, I smiled appreciatively at Yeol. Once the glass was filled, he set it in my hands and took a seat at the counter. Leaning against the counter top, I lifted the cool glass to my mouth and took a long sip.

The photoshoot went along without much of a hitch. Alhtough the temperature was gradually dropping as we entered into the fall season, it was hardly the season to be wearing parkas just yet. But it didn’t matter much as the staff had cranked up the air-conditioning in the studio as we posed with the thick padded jackets for Kolon Sports. All of us were very excited to attend the Busan Film Festival tonight, plus we were in a residual good mood from the birthday party for the twins last night. Especially Kyungsoo and Jongin. During the group picture, Jongin laughed so hard at Kyungsoo rubbing his back really fast while the rest of us looked on puzzled and confused by Jongin’s sudden outburst of laughter. As I stood on the sidelines watching Yeollie pose with the two of them, I couldn’t help but notice the warm radiant glow they had on their faces. A huge grin lined Kyungsoo’s usual stoic face as Jongin leaned back into his body. Poor Yeollie looked completely like an awkward third wheel standing in the shot with them. Too bad the photographer wanted just three members; otherwise I could help Yeollie look a little less extra.

Seriously, those two could really use a room.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyungsoo’s POV

Jongin’s laughter was the cutest thing I’d ever heard.

The way his eyes squished together, the way he slapped his hands together, the way his mouth opened so wide that I could see all his pearly wides.

I wouldn’t deny it.

I loved making him laugh. I mean, seriously, when you are this much in love with someone, wouldn’t you want to see that person happy? Who cared if the members thought we were weird? Who cared if the fans found our actions funny? Who cared if the staff members judged us? Not me, that was for sure. As we were waiting for the final camera adjustments before taking the group shot, I couldn’t resist. I rubbed my right hand speedily on Jongin’s broad back as I was suddenly reminded of last winter when the twins were about three months old when we were desperately trying to burp little Dongwoo by rubbing his back. That little monster regurgitated his dinner all over us as a reward for our efforts. It definitely wasn’t funny for us then but now looking back, we certainly was quite a sight with a baby in our hands and half-digested milk dripping off our faces. At my simple gesture, Jongin seemed to have remembered the same incident as he burst out laughing. The other members looked at us puzzled but I didn’t bother explaining. Besides, it was time to work and take some photos. We took several group and individual photos, posing with the thick jackets. Soon, the photoshoot was coming to an end.

“Alright, EXO, let’s move outside for the final shoot.”

The moment we stepped outside the air-conditioned studio, a wave of warmth hit us. It wasn’t blistering heat but it could feel like that with the thick parka wrapping our bodies. Once again, while waiting for the camera equipment to get set up, Jongin gravitated to each other as he sat on the railing. We chatted about normal things, completing each other’s sentence. Nothing out of the blue. The final shoot was basically taking pictures of us running around the corner. As we made our way to the corner, I glanced over at Baek. I was slightly worried about him wearing that thick jacket in the heat but I saw Yeol hovering around him and knew that he was in good hands.

“Cue!”

On signal, we started running around the corner, trying to run as masculine as we could. It wasn’t just one take. We ran a couple of times before the photographer was satisfied. Once again, we were waiting by the railing for the photographer to review the pictures. I was just looking up at the sky when I sensed rather than saw Baek walked up beside me. Wordlessly, both of us stared at the sky, evidently with our children on our minds. I was just thinking about how awesome it would be for the twins to have a little cousin when Baek suddenly hunched forward and leaned over the railing.

Immediately, warning bells rang in my head.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baekyeol’s POV

Pain.

Exploding pain.

Like a thousand suns bursting within me.

I doubled over and leaned on the railing, clenching my hands into tight fists. I could feel Kyungsoo’s questioning eyes on me. Tears started to blur my vision as I tried to will the pain away but it was unbearable. My knees started to shake as I sank to the ground, my hands gripping on the railings for support. My mind could focus on nothing but the pain. In my muddled mind, I vaguely remembered hearing Kyungsoo yelling for Yeollie. Somehow his voice seemed so far away, so muffled. Glancing up, the first thing I saw was Yeollie’s face. All my focus zoomed in one him, alleviating the pain ever so slightly. He stared back at me in shock, not quite registering what was going on. Then he shuddered in horror, before pulling himself together. Determination swept over his features as he reached down and lifted me bridal style. As he raced to the living room, he barked orders to the members and our managers. The pain was blinding, insisting to be attended to. I lost awareness of my surroundings, simply writhing in his arms where Yeol raced to the van. Black spots danced in my eyes as I lay in a fetal position on my side in the car seat, my arms tightly wrapped around my tummy.

 

 

It hurt.

 

 

 

So so bad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chanyeol’s POV

No.

No.

No.

This cannot be happening.

I was in a complete panic state mentally but on the outside, I struggled to maintain a cool-headed and levelled mind as I shouted orders to the members. When Baek suddenly fell to the ground in pain, my mind went blank. I wasn’t prepared. I didn’t expect. It was way too early for any pain to be a good sign. What I wouldn’t give to take his place. Why wasn’t I by his side when it happened? Horror filled the emptiness of my mind as I saw the excruciating pain reflecting in his eyes. As well as the pleading for help that shone bright in his eyes. It hurt so much to watch the pain rip his body apart and tears unexpectedly filled my eyes. If we didn't have strong feelings, how could we love? And by loving someone, it meant that we were one. So when our flesh is cut, we bleed. When it hurt, we cry. There was nothing wrong with that. It only becomes a problem when it gets in the way of what you have to do. And now it was. In that short moment, I knew this wasn’t the time to blank out on him. So I couldn’t crumble, not when Baek was counting on me to be strong. Pulling myself together and shutting out all negative thoughts, I drew up an action plan almost immediately and set things into motion.

“Kyungsoo! Help Baek, please.”

“Manager hyung, get us to the dormitory, stat.”

“Suho, call the gynaecologist.”

“Kris, inform the managers.”

A thousand thoughts raced through my mind all at once.

Baek. Rainbow. Please be safe.

 “The gynaecologist is out of the country. She say she can get back earliest by tonight if she caught a plane now.” Suho reported back.

.

“That’s too late.” It was clear by the pain on Baek’s face that he wasn’t going to be about to last until then. So I guessed there just weren’t any other choice. “Manager Hyung! Straight to the hospital.”

“N….No...” Baek’s hand reached out to grip mine weakly. “Exposed….No…We can’t…The twins…No…We cannot…”

“Call now, Suho hyung.” Kyungsoo said quietly but firmly. Our eyes met and I gave a tiny nod of gratitude. The implication of his words was huge. He and Jongin had much to lose, too much at risk and yet, he gave his approval without a second of hesitation. Baek was shooking his head saying “No…” He slowly sat up, a shiny sheen of sweat masking his face.

“I’m fine.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baekhyun’s POV

In the van, speeding off to somewhere

“I’m fine.”

All heads turned to stare at me, eyes wide with disapproval and uncertainty.

I heaved a deep breath and repeated, “I’m fine.” This time it came out stronger and more solid. I was. Truly. The pain was no longer there. I was feeling better. “Turn around, Manager Hyung.” I waved a hand at one very panicked and confused manager at the wheel.

“Are you sure?” Suho piped, the phone still in his hand.

“Baek. Are you sure you don’t want to go to a hospital? It’s better to be safe than sorry.” Kyungsoo gripped my hand, rubbing comforting circles on the back of my hand. “Rainbow is not something you want to risk, Baek ah.”

Yeol, he just stared at me. What was going through his head, I had no idea. But it was as if he was deciding whether to believe me.

“It must have been from the running,” I laughed weakly, scratching the back of my head. I honestly felt fine. The pain was completely gone and there were no signs of it coming back. I could still feel Rainbow’s heartbeat and movements in my belly.

“So where do I go?” A worried manager turned back to look at us.

I reached for Yeollie’s hand and placed it on my stomach area where Rainbow was actively moving. The warmth of his hand felt so reassuring and calming as I continued to look straight into his eyes. An unsaid conversation went through between us.

Are you sure?

I’m fine.

Rainbow?

He’s fine.

 

 

 

After a long loaded stare, he broke the eye contact first before saying, “To the dormitory.” Then his eyes met mine again. “I’ll arrange for the ultrasound nurse to come and check on you and Rainbow.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jongin’s POV

Busan Film Festival

So the ultrasound showed that Rainbow was doing fine and Baek was given the green light.

So here we were at the Busan Film Festival!

We weren’t going to perform tonight, given Baek’s condition and all, so we were here just to grace the event with our prescence. Although all of us had a complete scare this morning, now that everyone was safe and healthy, we were back in our good mood! I mean, who wouldn’t be at this opportunity to see some of the biggest stars in Korea! Well, other than Yeol, who was still completed frazzled and unnerved from the incident. But I did have to say that he did a great job keeping his cool and doing what’s best in such a stressful situation. Only now when everything was ok and fine did he allow himself to break down a little. His face as we posed for pictures on the red carpet was so strained, his true emotions shining through. The worry on his face was undeniable but Baek on the other hand was completely excited to be here. His neck was permanently craned to catch glances at the megastars who were attending tonight’s event.

As we walked the red carpet with a stem of rose in our hands, I slowed down my pace and allowed some of our members to overtake me until Kyungie appeared beside me. Grinning widely, I sneaked an endearing tap on his cute little and enjoyed the show of his face turning red as he shot an accusing glare at me. Laughing, I just shrugged. Who told him to have such a cute ? As we walked on, we stopped by a camera that was mounted on to the wall. Using this opportunity to check out my look tonight, I did some last minute adjustment to tidy up a stray strand of hair sticking out.

 

 

“You look pretty.”

His hand sprayed across my back as he nudged me forward.

Pretty wasn’t a word I would use to describe me. Neither would he. He usually called me handsome or hot. But pretty? Now that was a first. I whipped around to look at him and mouthed, “Really?” A warm smile lit up his face as our eyes met and warm fuzzy feels spread all over my body. He laughed slightly and nodded. Immediately I moved forward to the area where I knew no cameras were filming, hid behind some of our tall members and pulled him towards me. At first he tried to dodge me, exclaiming, “No, Jongin ah, don’t come near me. You know I succumb to your charms instantly. So unless you want to kiss in public, don’t come near me.”

“I don’t care. Come here.” I shot back and winked, before making one hard tug.

The minute his body hit mine, I pressed my lips on his and savoured the best dessert in the world. When I pulled back, I gave him a little smirk as his tongue stuck out to wet his lips. All his energy was going into trying his very hardest to maintain a straight face.

I thought the highlight of the night was that I got to see huge stars at this film festival.

No it wasn’t

 

 

But I didn’t see any stars.

I was blinded by the brightest star of all.

 

Do Kyungsoo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chanyeol’s POV

In the dormitory, after the Busan Film Festival

I still couldn’t shake that uneasy feeling I had since yesterday and I was sure that it was showing on my face when I stood in front of the flashing cameras on the red carpet tonight. But every time I stole a glance at Baek, there were no traces of the earlier pain and agony on his face. The sheen of sweat was gone and his face glowed a radiant pink. Whenever he caught me staring at him, he would give me this bright smile that I knew was meant to reassure me but it did little to calm my worries.

Now that the film festival was over and we were back at the dormitory, I stuck by his side as viligant as I could, my eyes hardly ever leaving him as he slept beside me now. Exhausted from the day’s crazy ups and downs, he had crashed on the bed the moment we arrived home and fell asleep immediately.

It was around eleven at night when I felt him stir beside me. The bed creaked as he pushed himself up and sleepily walked over to the bathroom. I too sat up on the bed when I suddenly heard an almost inaudible gasp. Instantly, I felt my heart dropped as I raced to the bathroom.

I was just about to open the door, when it opened up right in front of me.

My body tensed as my gut was struck with a frozen bullet of shock. I couldn’t breathe. There was only one thing much worse than the completely unexpected: the expected for which I had refused to prepare for.

There stood Baek.

 

 

 

With blood tricking down his legs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyungsoo’s POV

In the bedroom

There was something so strange in the air.

As if it was way too silent.

Like the calm before a storm.

 

 

I checked on the twins and they were both sleeping soundly with their little palms brought up to their faces. Jongin waved to me, signalling for me to return to the bed, return to his arms when the bedroom door swung open so quickly that I nearly jumped out of my skin.

Even in the dark, one look at Yeol’s face was enough to send us all racing to his bedroom.

But it was too early. 27 weeks was too early. Worry coursed through my veins as I ran to Baek’s side. He didn’t look as if he was in pain, just stunned and shocked as he sat on the bedside, frozen like a statue. Yeol, as calm as he had ever been in his life, barked orders around the house. Only the panic in his eyes betrayed his true emotions. The EXO-M members had flown out of the country immediately after the film festival so it was just the five of us rushing around the dormitory.

Jongin immediately called for our managers and coordi noonas. Suho was calling the gynaecologist. I was packing a quick hospital bag. Sehun was watching over the twins before the coordi noonas came to babysit. None of us said a word, all so focussed on the task we had been assigned to by Yeol. Soon, it was time to make our way to the hospital, meeting the gynaecologist who had just touched down in the country. There was just no time to wait for her to travel to our dormitory. So we were meeting her halfway.

But there was just one small problem.

Fans had followed us back to the dormitory from the Busan Film Festival. There was no way we could leave the dormitory without making a scene. Not with Baek’s current state. Which resulted in a diversion plan. Jongin, Sehun and I were going to leave the dormitory first. To attract the fans away. To lure them off the other three members. To allow enough time for Yeol and Suho to sneak Baek out.

Thankfully the fans took the bait and we allowed them to stalk us as we went to the furthest cinema we knew of and bought three tickets to the only movie available at that time “The Conjuring”. Sehun and Jongin both hated horror movies but there was little we could possibly be doing leaving the dormitory at midnight other than to catch a movie.

However, none of us were in the right frame of mind to watch a movie. All three of us were glued to our phone, waiting for Suho’s updates or checking the internet for any possible leaks of them going to the hospital. None of us paid any attention to the movie. Which was a good thing considering how they hated horror movies.

 

I just wanted the fans to leave so that we could make our way to the hospital.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baekhyun’s POV

Lying on the operating table

Numb.

Both physically and emotionally.

Actually, I was both numb and oversensitive, overwhelmed by the need, the raw and desperate need to see my baby safe.  Tears were trailing down the side of my face and yet my face remained void of emotions. On the way to the hospital, I cried a bit and had fitful bouts of little sleep. My nightmares resurfaced as my own pain was repeated to me, magnified a thousand times. It felt insurmountable. The pure desperate to safe my own child, the immerse regret of the decisions I’d made, the insane self guilt I started to impose on myself, the building up of walls around my mind letting nothing in or out.  

The moment we arrive at the hospital, I was rushed around. In the muffled state of numbness and oversentivity, I only caught some words. Words like ‘emergency C-section’, ‘now’, ‘time is running out.” I could feel Yeol’s hands clasped around mine. But there was probably the only connection I had with the outside world. Pain was the only thing that reminded me that I was still alive.

My brain was simply blank and shut off.

It was the strangest feeling as I realised that I was coming to the end of pregnancy. I reached out to trail my fingers on my slightly round belly and tried to imagine how some little person, whom I hadn’t even met, was going to emerge from it and completely change our lives.

I wondered how this pregnancy, to which I had grown so accustomed over much of the last couple of months, could just come to an abrupt end.

With barely any notice.

As I stared at the bright lights that hung overhead, I had one wish and one wish only.

 

 

 

Please let Rainbow live.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chanyeol’s POV

My eyes never left his face once but his eyes were glassy and blank. Like he had reverted back into his closed-off self and that scared the crap out of him. I tried talking to him but none of my words seemed to reach his ears. The only response I got from him was an occasional squeeze from his hand.

I could hear the doctors operating and the equipments clinking against each other. I could hear the constant loud beeping monitoring Baek’s heart rate and a softer beep for the baby’s. The moment we arrived, the gynaecologist whisked him off to the closest operating theatre. We had filled her in on the details on the way to the hospital and she informed us that time was of the essence. With quick ultrasound, she confirmed our worst nightmare.

Placental Abruption.

The placenta had detached from the uterine wall and Baek was in preterm labour. At 27 weeks, it was a very risky procedure and there was only a very short time frame to save the baby. The operation started almost immediately as we raced against time to save Rainbow. All this while, Baek remained detached from reality. The fact that I knew that he was in pain made it much worse. It made my chest hurt, like a needle constantly jabbing it. The helplessness that I felt as I watched the team of doctors trying to safe our son, as I watched Baek on the operating table was overbearing.

 

 

Rainbow.

Baek.

Please, just let them be safe.

 

For that half-hour in the operating room I held his hand.

And for that duration we three were undivided. Baek, me and Rainbow. I felt the blood of his pulse as I gripped his hand, felt his blood beat in the rhythm that reached into the baby.

 

 

“Mr Park, you have a son.”

My head whipped around to face the gynaecologist who held a small baby in her hands.

A second after he hit my hands, his mouth opened and he hiccupped. So tiny. Then he started flailing with all fours and began bawling in the puniest voice imaginable. It came in undulations ---wauuu,wauuu,wauuu---accompanied by a comical face with punched mouth, flattened nose and the beat of his tiny fists against the air. It was a soft cry, but healthy and wonderfully vexed at being treated so roughly during his first minute outside of the warmth of Baek’s belly. I lifted the baby in front of Baek as I couldn’t help but cry happy tears. This was our son! OUR SON! Baek’s eyes too were wet as he looked at the tiny baby for the first time. That blank look on his face was gone and replaced with one of pride and unconditional love.

 “Jinhwan. Jin for precious. Hwan for bright.” His breathing laboured as he whispered weakly.

His eyes narrowed and appeared as tiny slits of sight before they completely shut.

 

 

 

“Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppppppppppp”

The flat tone of the heartrate machine filled the operating room.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baekhyun’s POV

JinHwan.

 

 

 

There was a sort of anxiety, a softening of the heart, followed by a consciousness of some great, unfathomable mystery being accomplished. The most solemn mystery in the world was being accomplished.

I'd just done the most important thing a person can ever do. I'd made life. At the very instant I saw his tiny face, I loved this new person more than anyone but a parent can understand. The loud and robust cry of protest he let out replaced my anxiety and fear with peace and love. I was just so thankful for he was safe and healthy.

I did it.

It was a good feeling.

This was my family here.

The three of us.

There are no empty chairs and no what-ifs.

My job was done.

Life was happiness, life was death; we are born, and we die. There was nothing wrong with the cycle of life; our time was set at the very moment we were born.

 

 

 

JinHwan ah.

You were born in an absolute state of pure innocence, and unconditional love. You are blessed to have Park Chanyeol as your father. Stay healthy and be good. I hope that you will grow up to be what your name signifies.

 

My precious, bright child.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hi subbies! Hope you guys don't hate me after this chapter ><

Anyways, thanks for the name suggestions! And today is a special day for me~ 내 생일이다! 소리질러!

Not sure if any of you are still up for some photo evidence but here it is...

 

Kolon Sports Photoshoot

Busan Film Festival

Yeol's AWKWARD smile