Conflicted

Baby Story II

Kyungsoo’s POV

Backstage of Korea-China Friendship Concert

 “You what?”

 I wasn’t quite sure if I heard correctly over the crowd screaming. The introduction video of Boys over Flowers was playing on the big screens and judging by the screams, this was one very popular drama in China.

“I’m trying for a baby. With Yeollie, of course.” Baek rolled his eyes and repeated exasperatedly.

 

Right.

I didn’t hear wrongly.

I noticed the radiance in his face, the light skip in his steps and the excited tone in his voice earlier today. Now I saw the waiting look of anticipation on his face. I knew he wanted some sort of reassurance or support from me. But how was I supposed to respond to that? I was too flummoxed to even say anything. Why did he have to break it to me now when I was able to go on stage with him and Chen to sing ‘Paradise’?

“D.O., Baekhyun and Chen, you’re up in 5, 4, 3…”

The door split open and Baekhyun calmly walked through it onto the stage, belting out the famous song. Even though I hadn’t given him any response, his mood was hardly dampened by my lack of support.

“Almost paradiseee~~~”

My mind was split between the performance and what Baek had just informed me. I was so lost in thought that I nearly missed my cue to start singing. It was extremely difficult to focus on the stage when my emotions were running all over the place.

It was not that I didn’t want them to try. It was not that I didn’t want them to have a child together. Although I would have preferred having my boys when I was older and more financially stable, I did not regret having them. Ever. They were the best mistakes I had ever made in my life. If given the chance to change my past, I would not have changed a single thing. It was as simple as that. My life would not be complete without my sons.

But my pregnancy was an unplanned surprise.

We did not choose to get pregnant. We didn’t even know that it was possible. But Baek and Yeol trying for a baby?

Now that was a whole new different story.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jongin’s POV

Backstage

I stood at the side curtains, watching Kyungie perform like I always did when we performed seperately.

Something was a little off.

He didn’t sing off tune or anything like that. He just seemed a little distracted. Like his mind was somewhere else, while his mouth just went through the motions. This was EXO’s last performance for the concert. We had already performed Wolf and History and he wasn’t this distracted then. What was he thinking about? Why did he keep sneaking glances at Baek?

“He is so fine. Definitely the most handsome in our group.”

I jumped up in shock. I was too busy watching Kyungie that I didn’t notice that Yeollie had joined me to watch the three vocals of our group belt out the upbeat song. Yeollie just continued to bounce on his knees, clapping his hands and smiling that goofy grin of his. His eyes were fixated on Baek.

“I would have to differ,” I replied matter-of-factly, “Kyungie would have my vote.”

“You are just biased.”

“So are you.”

“True.” And he went back to staring at Baek.

Weird. He seemed really happy about something. He was usually happy; we don’t call him the happy virus for nothing. But there was something different about the aura around him. It was as if he was glowing with excitement as he stared at Baek like a man in the desert looking at water.

“What are you so happy about?” Somehow, I had a gut feeling that it was related to what was distracting Kyungie from his performance.

“Hm?” His attention still on Baek, he slowly registered my question and started grinning to himself.

“Come on, spill.”

“Baek finally agreed! And we have started trying!” He flung his arms over my shoulders and pulled me for a tight hug.

Trying?

No.

It is not what I’m thinking, right?

No wonder Kyungie was distracted. Baek must have told him.

“A baby?” I struggled to breathe in his bear hug.

He finally released me from his tight grip and nodded enthusiastically.

“I’m going to need all the advice I can get from you, Jongin.”

“Um sure. Congrats. I’ll try to be of as much help as I can.”

Honestly, I didn’t exactly know whether I should be happy or worried for them. Did I approve of what they were doing? Not exactly. We were still in the middle of promotions; a pregnancy would put a halt to any activities we were doing. Plus bringing a child into this world…. I just wasn’t sure if they were ready for the responsibilities that came with it. Heck, I wasn’t sure if Chanyeol was ready for it. Baekhyun, I trust, would rise to the occasion. But Chanyeol?

And then I remembered I wasn’t much different. I was a lazy bum who relied a little too much on Kyungie. The twins had changed me. For better.

Maybe it was a right decision, after all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyungsoo’s POV

I scanned for him in the crowd and the minute our eyes connected, I knew in that spilt second that he understood. Chanyeol must have told him already. I pushed through the staff to get to him. All the other stars present for the event were all there backstage, waiting to go on stage for the finale.

“You heard?”

“Yup. From Chanyeol.”

“And?”

He just shrugged.

“Aren’t you worried?”

Before he could answer, we were all ushered onto the stage for the finale performance. All the stars gathered together to sing a song and show our appreciation for all who came today.

Jongin stuck close to me, keeping one hand on the small of my back.

Towards the end of the concert, for that split second, I allowed myself to immerse in the crowd’s energy and forget all my worries and concern for Baek and Yeol. Waving my arms at the crowd, I jumped up and down. Mostly to thank them for their support and love for us today and to just bask in the whole spirit of the event. Being a dork sure did lift my spirits a little. Following my cue, Jongin followed suit and we both hopped around waving our right hand at the crowd.

And then I saw a fan holding up a Baekyeol sign.

 

 

At that moment, everything came flooding back and my body suddenly became heavy with burden. My legs grew slightly weak and I let my body gravitate towards Jongin. Without batting an eyelid, He wrapped his right arm around my waist and led me off the stage. Our bodies were so in tune with each other. So natural. So much chemistry. That was us. What about Baekyeol? Did they have the same type of connection? I always thought they were suited for each other due to their prankster nature but to become parents of a child together?

Sighs.

What are we going to do with them?

As if reading my mind, Jongin leaned down and whispered in my ear.

“This is their own decision to make. The best we can do is to give them advice and support. They are adults now. And I trust them to make their own choices.”

Trust?

“Easier said than done, Jongin ah. I love them very much and I don’t want to see them miserable.”

“I know.”

“I’m just worried.”

“I know you are. But look at me. Look at my success story.”

I had to laugh at that. Success story? That was a funny way of phrasing it. Come to think about it, he was right. The whole pregnancy and the twins had pushed him to shoulder more responsibilities and become a responsible lover and father.

“But the timing just isn’t right. We are in the middle of promotions.”

“That’s the only part bothering me. But when I spoke to Chanyeol about it earlier, I noticed he used the word ‘finally’ which told me that he had wanted it for a long time. They must have waited a long time to try, Kyung ah. I highly doubt they were going to change their minds no matter what we say. So why don’t we just give them our blessings and wish them all the best, supporting them as best we can.”

“I’ll think about it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: What's with all the Kaisoo moments lately??!! (Not that I am complaining...) The two of them should just go off and get married.