I realize the joke is on me now

Confessions of A Bride

 

 

 

When she reached the main Island, she found Minho sitting in the reception area. He was holding a satchel bag and staring blankly ahead. She looked at him teary eyed. She brushed the tears away and tried to compose herself.

 

He turned his head and saw her. His vision met hers and he smiled from ear to ear.

 

He walked up to her and hugged her. She did not hug him back. He kissed her forehead.

 

She looked into his face with uncertainty.

 

"What's wrong?" he said slowly releasing her.

 

"You've been crying my little monster." he said placing his hand on her head. He was much taller than her. He patted her head and said "I'm here now, I'm sorry for what you went through." He had always treated her like this.

 

She punched his chest and sobbed "Why did you leave me!"

 

"Hey, relax." he hugged her "There... there, don't be such a baby Suzy. It was ten days in Hawaii. I knew what I was doing."

 

'You drove me into another man's arms' she thought.

 

"What happened?" she asked.

 

He looked around "Where is your so-called husband." he ignoring her question.

 

"I'm glad you find it all amusing." she said dryly composing herself "He went back to Japan."

 

"Did you tell him I was here to take you back?"

 

Suzy nodded as a mental image of the earlier events came to her mind.

 

Suzy shook her head and walked past him "I still have things upstairs in the hotel room. We can chat properly there."

 

When she reached the hotel room, she could feel a sharp pain in her heart. The place did not feel the same without him there. She proceeded with what she was supposed to be doing and tried to ignore it.

 

"A week before the wedding the Lee family...his parents found out that we are a couple. Their son was so excited and in love that they didn't want to tell him the bad news. Instead they asked me leave you alone and gave me a lot of money which..."

 

"You took." Suzy interrupted angrily.

 

"But I gave it back Suzy...every penny."

 

"You still took it." she hunched a shoulder and turned her head away.

 

"I am in debt, I was thinking about us. How can I take care of you if I don't have the means, the last company I worked for had to downsize and I was laid off. Love is not enough, it won't pay the rent."

 

Suzy said nothing for a few seconds she kept her eyes fixed on him "But you gave me away. What you did was selfish. I can take care of myself. You drove me straight into another man’s arms."

 

He had lines of stress on his forehead "I knew you would say that. I'm sorry. Now I have a job and we can get married like we had planned."

 

"And if you didn't get the job?" she asked in a stern tone.

 

He kept quiet.

 

She stood up "I'm going to pack my things."

 

"When did you become so difficult?"

 

He followed her to the bedroom. She started to open the chest drawers "Where did you sleep when you two were together."

 

"At first he slept on the couch then later we slept on the same bed." she said in a stern tone.

 

He folded his hands "Why did you do that?"

 

She raised her shoulders opening her suitcase now.

 

"Don't be like that Suzy. Why do I get this weird feeling that something happened between you two?"

 

"It doesn't matter."

 

"So something did happen." Minho speculated.

 

She found herself becoming weak again, she wanted to cry.

 

Tears filled her eyes and she said "I made a mistake. I should have just said I love him...why did allow myself to get so confused."

 

Minho leaned his back to the wall "Are you really that angry at me."

 

She shook her head "I'm not angry at you."

 

She stood still "I'm angry at myself."

 

"I'm trying to be happy that I am with you and I'm trying to believe that's enough for me."

 

"It's not?" he said calmly.

 

She shook her head "Being with Seungri was enough for me. I was happy with him. The only reason I'm here is because...as usual I decided to go with the safe choice. The good guy I've been with for three years."

 

"What are you saying? Are you in love with this other guy?"

 

She looked at Minho and said "I don't want us to be together, even if I don't know if I will ever see Seungri. For the first time someone gave me butterflies in my stomach."

 

"So you are going to throw away what we built in three years."

 

"Minho..it took 10 days away from you for me to realise that this is not what I want."

 

"Suzy, you are confused."

 

"I was this morning but now I know what I want. I thought that once I saw you, all the regret would disappear but it's even worse. "

 

"What do you want...that guy."

 

"Yes." she replied.