FLASH BACK 4 years ago : Will I ever see you again?

Confessions of A Bride

 

 

 

He followed her to the kitchen where there was a stack of dirty plates and mugs. 'They're all yours. If you need any help, I'll be sorting out the cash register.' She was calmer in her disposition and friendlier.

 

'Alright ' if he wanted to he could have just asked his relative to come bail him out of this situation or he would have spoken to the manager but he wanted to be there.

 

It seemed like he had been washing the dishes for hours now. There was still another stack left. During that time he thought hard about what she said. Perhaps it was time for him to grow up and stop acting like his parents didn't bring him up properly.

 

He heaved a sigh and walked over to the kitchen door that was a jar. He watched Suzy as she wiped the tables. He watched her every movement carefully and thought of how amazing she was. He hardly knew her but he had a feeling that she was someone special. She caught him staring. She smiled at him and raised her head 'Do you need help? '

 

'Umh... ' he was unsure of what to say. He blushed.

 

She walked up to him 'I'll help you. I do this almost every day.'

 

'Why do you work here...I heard waitresses get peanuts. ' he was able to ask a somewhat decent question.

 

'I have a feeling that your definition of peanuts and my definition of peanuts are extremely different...Baldy. ' she said teasing him.

 

He smiled 'I had to shave my hair all off...it's this ritual for first years. I know I look strange and I'm sure I remind you of some comic book villain but underneath this baldness I'm a decent looking. '

 

'Oh really.' she said jokingly.

 

She helped him finish the dishes.

 

They had their first meaningful conversation, she told him things that he would consider personal but he loved listening to them. She told him that she is a psychology student although initially she wanted to study medicine. He learnt that she loves children and that she wants to get married to a man who is going to treat her right, who will respect her and love her. She told him that she wants to live in a house in the suburbs and wants to work but also wants to be there for her kids.

 

'These days, most women look down on you when you have such fantasies, they say things like you are old fashioned and you are limiting yourself but I don't see it that way. I think I have so much love in my heart that I want to share and it would be selfish and a waste to spend it all loving myself. Then again who knows, maybe a couple of years from now I will despise the idea of love and marriage. I might not even want to have kids out of fear that I'll loose my youth and figure...but right now, at this moment, that's not how I see it. '

 

As she spoke, he knew immediately that he wanted the same thing. He wanted to be married and have kids...it was a basic aspiration in life but he agreed with her, there was nothing wrong with that.

 

They spoke for an hour about random things. He barely spoke about himself. His life seemed boring and not all that extra-ordinary. It was the best conversation he had ever had. He found out that she was funny, kind and forgiving. Up to then he felt like no one had ever been sincere to him. She didn't compliment him or put him on a peddle stool. She was not afraid to and for the first time in his life he felt normal and it felt good.

 

They said goodbye to each other outside the cafe door after she locked up.

 

'Will I ever see you again? ' he asked her worryingly.

 

She smiled 'I work here.' she reminded him.

 

'I'm leaving for America in two days. ' he blushed and said 'Aren't you the least bit curious to know what my name is?'

 

She smiled shyly 'I'll sleep on it tonight and I'll tell you what I think your name is.'

 

He looked down at pavement.

 

'Take care of yourself.'

 

He raised his head 'umh...you too... '

 

He wanted to say more. He wanted to run after her and ask for her number but his feet suddenly became glued to the floor and he was lost for words. He watched her disappear into the night and wondered what tomorrow would hold. If anyone can make him a better person she could. He muttered her name, remembering the way it appeared on the name tag 'Bae Sue Ji'