FLASH BACK 4 years ago : an eminent lesson

Confessions of A Bride

 

 

 

Suzy ambled to the table carefully however her hand started to tremble and the cup of coffee spilt and landed on Seungri’s chest.

 

His eyebrows rose '! Are you trying to injure me?' he yelled at her with a glare on his face.

 

She put the tray on the table quickly and grabbed a napkin 'I'm sorry' she said handing it to him. She was too afraid to touch him.

His hand grazed over hers and she became nervous.

 

'What is wrong with you? You clumsy waitress!' he said through clenched teeth. He was trying to hold back his anger.

 

'I am so sorry' she said repetitively.

 

He stood up abruptly 'where is the restroom?'

 

She nervously pointed at it and took a deep breath. As she stood there the remaining group of people looked at her. They looked at her up and down, making sure their minds were perfectly recording how inadequate she was in their eyes.

 

'They should consider firing you' one of the girls said 'Or you should just do everyone a favour and quit.' she took a sip of her drink and added 'Just some constructive piece of advice'

 

Suzy made a look of distaste and walked away. She wanted to cry. She had made up her mind; she did not like rich people. She would never marry for money because she could not imagine herself being associated with such egotistical and disrespectful people.

 

They sat there for another hour while she attended to other customers. On his way back from the restroom Seungri walked past her. He glared at her and then quickly walked past her.

 

When the time came to pay, Suzy handed him the bill. He searched for his wallet and commented 'I hope you're not planning of spilling something else on me.' he teased.

 

Suzy scowled.

 

He stuck his hands in his pocket but it was empty. He stood up and tried the back pockets of his trousers.

 

'Did any of you see where I left my wallet?' He asked his 'entourage'.

 

They all raised their shoulders and shook their heads.

 

One of them stood up 'Listen dude, sort this out and I'll meet you in the conference centre. We have a debate in a few minutes.' The others also stood up. They walked past him and said 'You'll let us know how it works out' they laughed at him. As the group left cafe Seungri overheard one of them say 'He deserves it, arrogant bastard. How embarrassing.'

 

He was surprised that none of them offered to pay or come to a compromise with him. They left him there looking like a fool. From that moment he learnt that people can be uncompassionate. The only reason they had hung around him and invited him to their group was because of his wealth.

 

Suzy watched the situation. She almost felt sorry for the guy.

 

He sat back on the chair in slow motion baffled. She walked away and carried on with her job. She could not help but stare at him every so often. She wondered what he was going to do next. He just sat there, staring blankly outside the window. She wondered what he thinking and was surprised at how quiet he was suddenly. He was a different person. He sat there until the cafe neared its close.

 

Suzy closed the door from the inside, the other waitress had left and it was her and the manager there. She walked up to him and said softly 'We are closing. '

 

He moved slightly and slowly looked at her 'Oh, right'

 

'I know you can't pay. ' she said to him.

 

He was ashamed as he looked up at her. He recalled how badly he had treated her. As he stared at her it came to his attention how attracted he really was to her. She was a breath of fresh air, down to earth, cute, and coy, clumsy and yet he could tell she had a lot of spunk.

 

'So what's going to happen next? Are you going to call the police.' he said in a light-hearted tone.

 

She placed her hands on her waist 'I'm glad you are finding all this amusing.' she said dryly in a sarcastic tone.

 

'Are those people really your friends?' She didn't mean to pry but then again she was in control of the situation. She could ask whatever she wanted.

 

He smiled at her and shook his head 'No. '

 

She was annoyed that he was smirking. She wanted him to be panicking and begging her for forgiveness for being a jerk.

 

'You teased me and made me feel like an idiot. You are just another arrogant rich kid with no respect for other people.'

 

He watched her attentively as she waved her hands about. He was in no position to be defensive so he listened. Suddenly she took a deep breath and said in a calm tone.

 

'Listen, you just can't treat people like that and you don't deserve to be treated like that either. You humiliated me...and well I know I'm clumsy, but it was an accident. You had no right to yell at me...you don't even know me. It doesn't matter who you are or where you're from, it’s important to be humble, kind and compassionate to others and perhaps more often than not you will receive the same kind of treatment.'

 

He looked at her surprised. He knew he would never forget those words. He was taken aback by this girl's behaviour, she didn't care who he was, she didn't even ask. Not even his parents lectured him about his behaviour and no one had ever shown concern towards him.

 

He had a blank expression for a moment as he cautiously swallowed the information. Then he said 'You talk too much.'

 

She frowned and said 'You enjoy watching me angry!' she said taking note of his sardonic eyes.

 

'Not even my parents have lectured me the way you have today, so yes it's kind of amusing to watch. You do realise that we are complete stranger' he said calmly.

 

She sighed 'I don't care that we are' she tucked her hair behind her ear 'I don't even think you are listening.'

 

'I am. ' he assured her in a gentle tone.

 

She took a deep breath and said 'You can pay off the debt by washing the dishes.'

 

'Easy enough.' He stood up.

 

'Follow me.' she said.