fragile heart

Confessions of A Bride

 

 

'Is the guilt getting to you?'

 

She did not comment. Instead she said to him 'You can come into the room.' with a blank look on her face.

 

He followed her to the bedroom. When she noticed he was in his boxer and t-shirt she turned away and said 'Do you mind changing.' she didn't want to sound like she was asking for too much.

 

'Sure, I'll change.' he said understandably, at this point they were still strangers. If you are to look at things from that angle then the experience was..... awkward.

 

He managed to find a pair of cotton trousers.

 

She separated the linen to ensure that they were not sharing it. She turned off the lamp and got into bed and he followed after that.

 

They both lay motionless for awhile staring up at the ceiling. She could not help but be nervous; she had never shared her bed before with anyone. She turned to sleep on her side away from him but the lightening from the storm was so bright in shone through the curtains. It was distracting and not to mention she has always been afraid of thunder and lightening. She squeezed the sheets in her hands and turned again.

 

He was no better. He tried to block the sound of lightening by covering the pillow over his ears. He tossed and turned for a few minutes.

 

She realised from this that he was also having trouble sleeping.

 

She heaved a heavy sigh.

 

'What is it?' he asked her in a half whisper that sounded almost ridiculous.

 

'I can't sleep.' she said softly.

 

'Neither can I' he was more audible this time.

 

He lies on his back and put his hands behind his back. 'Are you still angry that you are married to me?'

 

She was still for a moment trying to figure out where her feelings were. She thought about how she felt about him now. He was nicer and much normal than she thought he would be but that did not change anything. Between them at that moment was a huge gap from her side of the bed to his that reminded her of the distance between them. He still had no idea who she was and why she reacted the way she did to their arranged marriage.

 

She released the sheets that she was squeezing between her fingers and said 'This does not change anything...just because I am more subtle about it doesn't mean the feeling of resentment has disappeared.' tears started to stream down her face but she did not want him to know this. She did not want him to know how much it hurt her being like that with him.

 

'Wow, you are cold.' he said.

 

'That's your opinion.' she said.

 

'That I am entitled to.' he averted his gaze and all he could see was her silhouette in the darkness 'You must be careful Suzy, you might just catch a cold from all that ice in your heart.' the statement was a little uncalled for.

 

'Do you still believe you love me?' she asked him.

 

He was quiet. He did not want to answer that question or think about it. What did this mean for him? Was she expecting him to simply return home with no wife on his side? How was he going to explain this predicament to his family without looking like a complete moron and without making her family seem like gold diggers whom he can concluded in his mind that they were.

 

She turned to look at him 'Aren't you going to reply me?'

 

He stayed silent. Once again she was getting on his very last nerve; he regretted bringing the topic of marriage up. He started to feel as though he was better off sleeping on the couch.

 

She closed her eyes and he closed his and without uttering anymore words, they both feel asleep.