Miserable

Confessions of A Bride

 

 

 

"I now pronounce you husband and wife."

 

It was like a nightmare come to life; Suzy could hardly wait for it to be over. She polished her face with a plastic smile that went hand in hand with the over the top wedding dress that her mother had designed for her. Her hair was a neat ballet bun that only complimented her beautiful face. It was no doubt a perfect wedding, everything you would expect to go wrong at a wedding did not happen. It was just perfect. She was the only thing that stood out, can you imagine, a bride who believes that she does not fit in at her own wedding and nonetheless does not want to be there?

 

The bridegroom was a perfect gentleman, handsome, well mannered, a blue blood who had shown her nothing but utter kindness from the day he met her. But she despised him; she despised that look in his eyes when he looked at, that hopeful expression. It made her sick to her stomach. He would reach for her hand, and gently pull her closer to him, but she would not hold his hand. She could not look at him, each time she did, tears would form in her eyes and she feared that the tears would ruin her perfect make- up and worse of all that everyone would see, that he would see that she was unhappy. She suppressed all of her emotions, and like a puppet, did everything her parents made her swear to do.

 

"But you're very young Suzy." Her Aunt told her. The woman was clearly drunk, she had a reputation for not being able to hold her liquor "I'm not that young, I'm 22" Suzy explained.

 

"Don't you want to have a little more fun, play around, when I was in my twenties I had a different boyfriend is every major city in Japan." She cackled holding the glass of red wine to her lips.

 

Suzy half smiled, the fake smiled failed to reach her tired eyes.

 

"Although I must say, your husband is a handsome guy and he'll take care of you. I just know it; he has so much going for him. That money isn't going to spend itself if you know what I mean. You're so lucky." She laughed even louder and hit Suzy on the shoulder playfully. Suzy recoiled.

 

"It was nice talking to you." She said walking away.

 

Her family was shallow, she thought to herself. All they cared about was wealth, her parents were even worse than her Aunt, it's not like their family was poor, and in fact they lived a comfortable life. Her parents were just greedy. Suzy thought.

 

While she was walking towards the table where her friends were sitting, a strong arm grabbed her forearm, she turned around slowly. It was him, her husband Lee SeungHyun. He shot her a weary smile then slowly released her shoulder "I'm sorry." He apologized "If I hurt you."

 

He dropped his hand and looked at her, his face was bright red and he made her very uncomfortable. He had dark brown eyes that looked like they were ready to engulf her.

 

"Would you like to dance with me?" he asked her warmly "I promise I won't step on your toes."

 

Suzy did not laugh at what was intended to be a joke.

 

His gaze lingered as he awaited a reply.

 

"Sure." She suddenly spoke.