Bake Sales and the Impossible

He May Be a Bad Boy, But He's MY Bad Boy

Beast walked into my house one day to see me and Aeyoung baking in the kitchen. The fresh smell of cookies and cupcakes and muffins made their mouths water.

"Hello, oppas!" I said cheerfully. "Aeyoung and I are working on the upcoming bake sale."

"Bake sale?" Junhyung asked after he did his usual hug and kiss greeting.

I nodded. "We decided to participate."

Doojoon was staring at Aeyoung, who was looking firmly in the other direction. Ever since Doojoon's confession, she acted weird around him and turned red sometimes.

"What?" She snapped.

He smiled. "You look so cute in your apron."

Aeyoung blushed and threw a can at him. "Shut up! Go away!"

Doojoon rubbed his head where the can bounced off, and just smiled. "Will you go out with me?"

Aeyoung turned even redder and muttered something, before turning around to check on the cake in the oven.

"Dude, I think she's rejecting you." Hyunseung said.

Doojoon just gazed at her dreamily. "Until she tells me straight that it's a "no", I'm not giving up."

I stared hopefully at Aeyoung, who was hiding her red face by looking for sprinkles in the cupboards. My heart went out to them. How come Aeyoung won't admit she likes Doojoon to? I wanted them to be happy together, as happy as I am with Junhyung.

I smiled at him, and he wrapped his arms around me in response.

I squealed when Kikwang reached for a cookie. I lightly slapped his hand away. "Kikwang oppa! Those aren't for you! You can't eat those!"

Kikwang pouted. "Why not? In a bake sale, you're SUPPOSED to eat the food."

"Pay us first and we'll let you eat some." Aeyoung said.

"Can you guys help us?" I asked. They immediately backed away and shook their heads.

"Uh, Mihi-ah....we're gangsters. We don't bake cookies." Dongwoon said warily.

I blinked innocently at them, unconsciously pouting and looking like a lost puppy. "But we're friends, aren't we? Friends help each other for things like this. Unless ---- we're not friends?"

They all looked uncomfortable. Yoseob sighed and slumped his shoulders. "FINE, we'll help."

I instantly brightened up. "Really? Yay!"

Yoseob smiled and pinched my cheeks. "That's just because you're such a cutie, we couldn't say no."

Junhyung twisted his fingers. "Don't touch my girlfriend!"

In the end, the boys did help. Doojoon and Aeyoung ended up decorating the cakes with icing. At one point, when they leaned in close together, their faces touched. Aeyoung blushed and quickly leaned away, her scar flaring.

Junhyung, Hyunseung and I were wrapping them up. Hyunseung gave us a box, Junhyung put the cookies in, and I would decorate it with a pretty colourful bow.

Dongwoon, Yoseob, and Kikwang took over the cooking, placing the muffins carefully in each batch and putting it in the oven.

Soon, we were all finished. Boxes and platetters of cookies, cakes, cupcakes, and muffins spread out on the table.

"Whew!" I gasped. "At least it was faster when you guys helped us. Thank you very much." I bowed.

"Yeah.....thanks." Aeyoung mumbled.

Doojoon smiled at her. "Will you go out with me?"

She turned red. "Get out!"

"Is that a "yes"?"

"I never said that! Just go already!"

"I think it was a "yes"."

"YOON DOOJOON, GET OUT NOW!!!"

She ended up kicking everyone outside and locking the door.

I just laughed. "Aeyoung-ah, why don't you just go out with Doojoon oppa? I know you like him."

Aeyoung turned red. "I can't."

"Why?"

"It would never work."

I frowned. "How come?"

She walked to the mirror in the kitchen and looked at her reflection sadly. "I mean, look at HIM -- he's tall, handsome, athletic, kind, and the leader of Seoul High's most feared gang. And look at ME -- normal ,average height, nothing special, rude, mean, irritating, harsh......and ugly." She watched her reflection as she touched the ugly red scar on her face. "No man would ever love a woman like me."

I walked over to her and hugged her. "Aeyoung-ah, you know that's not true!"

"Yes it is!" She snapped. "I've come from a bad family, I lived in a bad area.....I've never even had a friend before I met you."

She turned her head, fighting back tears. "Whenever I see all those pretty, flawless girls swooning over them, my.....my heart hurts. I can't bear watching it. It makes it seem foolish, an impossible dream, to even imagine him being with someone like me. Someone weho's ugly and deformed."

I was angry now. "So this is all about some kind of self-consciousness and low self-esteem? Listen to me, Aeyoung-ah." I glared at her, trying to make her listen. "Look at Junhyung oppa -- the kingka of Seoul High. Girls throw themselves at him every day, and he's the classic brooding, handsome, rough bad boy that they all love. And look at me -- a shy, nerdy, glasses-wearing bookworm whose never worn a miniskirt or high heels in my life. But we still worked it out. We're still together."

She looked at me in bewilderment. I continued. "I'm not asking you why you have that scar. It's none of my business. If you want to tell me, you can, but I won't force it out of you. I don't know what happened to you in the past, but don't -- don't break his heart just because you think you're not good enough for him. It's not worth it."

Aeyoung was silent for a while. "Do you really think I can accomplish the impossible?"

I smiled gently at her. "Of course. Things that are impossible to do are meant to be accomplished."

**********************************************************************************************************************************

At the bake sale, Aeyoung and my treats were the best. Everyone was swarming to get them, and soon we were all out.

"Let's go buy things before they're all eaten." I told her, tugging at her hand like a little girl. "I want brownies!"

Aeyoung nodded, and we suddenly ran into Beast.

Junhyung immediately wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly. "Mihi-ah!" He said joyfully.

Aeyoung turned red. Doojoon smiled at her. "Aeyoung!"

"Um....could....we.....um.....talk?" She mumbled. "In private?"

They walked out to the sides of the stands. We peered curiously at them. Aeyoung's scar was flaming red as she hid her fac eand muttered something.

We watched Doojoon's face turn from anxiety to pure joy to confusion at her words. Then he hugged her, and they walked back together.

"Mihi-ah, let's go get those brownies." Aeyoung said, grabbing my arm and pulling me away.

"What did she tell you, hyung?" Yoseob asked.

He had a big silly grin on his face. "She said she liked me back."

"Then why did you look so confused?" Dongwoon asked.

"She said she liked me, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to date me yet." He said.

"That doesn't make any sense." Kikawng pouted.

Hyunseung sighed. "You guys are all so stupid. It's obvious."

"What?"

He rolled his eyes. "Obviously, Aeyoung DOES like Doojoon hyung, but she is confused about her feelings and doesn't know how to act on them. Also, she isn't sure if she wants to date hyung because she's very conscious about herself and she probably thinks she's not good enough for him."

"How do you know this?" Junhyung asked, shocked.

"I'm just as observant as Mihi-ah." He said smugly. "Unlike you idiots who wouldn't know something unless it ran at you on a motorcycle with a baseball bat, I actually OBSERVE things around me."

Doojoon was still smiling. "So I just have to convince her that I don't care what people think as long as we're together? That she IS good enough for me?"

"Probably."

"WOO-HOO!" He yelled, running after us. "Yah, wait!"

Junhyung followed, and Hyunseung disappeared somewhere.

Dongwoon looked like he also wanted to go along, but Kikwang stopped him. "What?"

"They're going to doube date." He pointed out. "Don't be the awkward third wheel."

"But I want brownies too...." He whined.

Yosoeb pouted. "I feel so left out. Already two hyungs have girlfriends that they love. I want a girlfriend now!"