I can't stay

To Love is The Hardest Thing To Do

 

A week after the operation..

 

"Jaejin" Donghae softly spoke as he held his hand. He could feel the coldness of Jaejin's hands. He may not see him clearly but his ears have strong senses. He hates the fact that he could hear the beeping sounds of the machine and the apparatus connected to his brother's body.

"Wake up, Jae.." He paused. "It's your birthday.. Happy 20th birthday" He cried.

"You survived another year, it would be much better seeing you smile right now"

Before I lose my sight. Donghae thought.

Yuri rubbed Donghae's back. "Happy Birthday Jae, we brought a special cake for you" She said looking at the cake on the table.

Just then Yuri heard Donghae having hiccups. "Oh" Yuri chuckled. "Do you need water or something?"

"I like coffee" Donghae smiled as he let out anothe hiccup.

"Okay, I'll get some" She smiled. Donghae hold Jaejin's hand.

Suddenly, Jaejin moved his fingertips. With Donghae surprised he said "Jaejin, you are awake? Nurse! Nur-" But Jaejin tightened his hold on Donghae.

"Jaejin?"

Jaejin forced himself up and Donghae assisted. He spoke "Hyung"

"Jaejin" Donghae smiled "Let me call the doctor"

"Hear..me..out first.." Jaejin spoke slowly. "I can't stay. I can't live any longer"

"Why are you telling me this? Of course you will live! It is your birthday today, Jae. Twenty years, twenty years and you still have a  lot of years to spend with us"

"Hyung" Jaejin said softly "I am just telling you what I feel. Twenty years, I've been struggling for twenty years. I feel so weak."

"You can, Jae. You are stronger than you think"

Jaejin cried. "I only got limited time.. I only have weeks, it is the truth. With the surgery undergone or not, it will always still be just weeks" He paused "Can you please let me.. help me... do the things I want before I die?" 

"Anything" Donghae said "Anything for you, Jaejin" He said.


 

Yuri knocked the door before entering inside Jaejin's room. As she opened it, she is surprised looking at Jaejin who is now conscious. The doctors and nurses are checking on him while Donghae is on the side.

"Donghae" She spoke as she smiled. Donghae smiled back.

"Jaejin" She looked at him while Jaejin gave a half-smile.

"How is he?" Yuri asked the doctor.

"He's fine, he just need rest" The doctor replied. "We will still have follow-ups for you Jaejin, take a rest and don't stress yourself. It is a good thing that you wake up. It is a good sign"

"Thanks, doc" Donghae said.

"Should I contact the others?" Yuri asked "No, I already told them, they are coming" He replied.

"They are coming? great" Jaejin said as he lie back down on his bed.

"How are you feeling?" Yuri asked. "Great" Jaejin replied.

"I am just so glad that you're back, Jae" Yuri smiled.

"I am, too" Jaejin spoke as he laughed.

Donghae stared at Yuri and Jaejin. He could see Jaejin's longing to be with Yuri. As soon as tears started dwelling on his eyes, he took a deep breathe and controlled his feelings.

"What time are they coming Donghae?" Yuri asked.

"As soon as possible" Donghae replied. "Maybe in any minute now"

And as if on cue, Kibum and the rest of the friends came inside the room.

"Jaejin, welcome back!" Hongki spoke as he hugged Jaejin.

"Easy, easy on me Hongki" Jaejin smiled.

"Good to see that you're okay" Yoona said.

"When's the wedding Yoona? Kibum?" Jaejin spoke as he winked at Kibum.

"Eeeeeyyy, why are you suddenly bringing that up?" Kibum defensed.

"Seriously, Jaejin" Yoona laughed. "We are barely 20" Yoona said.

"Who knows" Jaejin said "Maybe the next day, Kibum will just decide on proposing to you"

"Shut up, you are a freaking 'spoiler alert'" Kibum spoke then everybody went on laughing.

Donghae smiled as he looked at his brother. He was pretty amazed on how Jaejin still keeps up his positive attitude and sense of humor. He have just waken up for about an half hour but then everyone in the room felt the lightness of the atmosphere.

"I can't stay. I can't live any longer"

"I can't stay. I can't live any longer"

"I can't stay. I can't live any longer"

 

Jaejin's words kept on repeating on his mind

 

"Aren't we forgetting something?" Yoona spoke. Just then the group greeted Jaejin a Happy Birthday.

 

♫♪Saengil chukahamnida! Saengilchukahamnida! Sarangeun, Jaejindeul. Seangilchukahamnida!♫♪

 

Kibum brought the cake and the candle. Jaejin looked very happy.

"Wish!" Yuri said.

Just then, Jaejin's smile faded.

 

"Well, I don't know... how long will I still be here with all of you, but I am sure to this that this is my best birthday ever" Jaejin paused. "How I wish I could have plenty of lifetimes to live with all of you. Thank you"

 

Yoona and Yuri started crying. Kibum broke the atmosphere as he spoke "Blow the candle"

Everybody clapped their hands afterwards.

 

"You're such a jerk, you idiot" Yuri spoke "You will stay"

"I can't" Jaejin told his mind. "Even if I want to.. but my body.. can't" he added to his thoughts

"You will, I belive you will" Yuri smiled as she wiped her tears off.

Soon enough, Jaejin looked at Donghae who is crying.

"Look who's crying. Stop acting like a crying lady, Dongahe" Jaejin said.

Donghae gave Jaejin a hug and whispered something in his ears.

"You will. You can stay"

 



2 weeks later..