47

Regeneration

 

Himchan's father was a really, really scary man. I had managed to get his number from my boyfriend's phone while he was in the shower and I had arranged a meeting with his father. I had been the one to suggest to meet up at a restaurant because I was sure the chances of him murdering me would be slimmer if we were out in public. That didn't mean that I wasn't nearly pissing myself on the drive there, though.

Even though I had only met the man a few times he always looked like he wanted me to suffer a brutal death and this time was definitely no exception. As soon as I stepped into the restaurant his gaze landed on me and he was glaring daggers within a second. I gulped and was close to turning around and walking right back out, but I manned up and approached the table he was sitting at. Once I was standing right next to him I bowed deeply. "You're late," he said, disapproval obvious in his voice.

I bowed again and when I stood upright I scratched the back of my neck sheepishly. "I know, I'm really sorry, traffic was horrible." The only response I got was a hum. I exhaled inaudibly and then slid into the unoccupied seat across from the older male. I purposely avoided eye contact. It was easier for me to convince myself not to run away with my tail between my legs if I didn't look at him and his scary eyes (my boyfriend definitely got those from him).

He took a sip of the beverage he had apparently ordered before I arrived, eyeing me up and down as he did so. "It would be nice if we could get this over with quickly, I'm a busy man," he said when he lowered the glass.

"Okay." I bit my lip as I thought about what I was going to say for a few moments. Then I took a deep breath and I looked him right in the eye. "You know that Himchan and I used to be engaged, right?"

"Oh, you mean before you broke his heart?" he retorted sharply, crossing his arms.

"Y-yeah." I cringed a bit at his tone and cleared my throat before continuing: "I just want you to know that I really, really, really love your son and I want to be with him for the rest of my life." He looked utterly unimpressed. I felt my determination falter the longer he stared so coldly at me, but I went on anyway. "I want Himchan to stay with me forever and I want him to be mine, s-so... that is why I am asking you for your son's hand in marriage." I nodded once, satisfied with what I had managed to say, even though I kind of blurted it out. Come to think of it I should have probably prepared beforehand. That was too late, though.

I felt more than a little nervous. Himchan's father was still staring at me, he hadn't moved a muscle in his face and he hadn't said anything. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just sat there, gaze unusually unwavering as I waited for his response. "You want to marry Himchan?" he finally asked with a clear hint of skepticism in his voice.

"More than anything."

"You're actually asking for my permission to marry my son?"

"That was the general idea, yeah."

"And what made you think I would allow you to do that?"

"Well..." I took a deep breath. "To be perfectly honest I didn't actually expect you to give me your permission, because I know you don't like me. I figured it would be worth a shot anyway." He was back to staring at me in silence without uttering a word and soon I was beginning to regret even asking him in the first place. I could have saved myself the humiliation and the chances of Himchan's father hating me even more after this were high. I let out a heavy sigh as I hung my head, preparing myself for the rejection I was sure was going to come.

I was just about to excuse myself and get out of there when the other let out a heavy sigh. "Okay," he then said.

My head snapped up. "Excuse me?"

"I said okay," he repeated. "You have my permission. You can marry Himchan."

I stared at him in disbelief. I was sure he was going to take back his words at any moment, that it was just a cruel joke. When he only sat there, sipping his drink, however, I was convinced that he meant it. That didn't make me any less confused. "But... but why?"

"It's true that I'm not very fond of you after what you did to my son, but somehow you still have enough courtesy to come to me and ask for my son's hand in marriage and I respect that. And I guess Himchan could be worse off. You're a pretty decent guy." I still stared blankly at him at a complete loss for words. Either he didn't notice my state of shock or he just didn't care. In any case he seemed unaffected. "So do you have a ring?"

"A-a ring?"

"Yes, a ring. You don't plan on asking him to marry you without a ring, do you? I think we both know Himchan well enough to know that that wouldn't be a very successful attempt." It was only the faint glisten in his eyes that told me he was trying to make a joke. I chuckled anxiously.

"I do have a ring, but..." I paused, biting my lip. He quirked a brow in question, nodding for me to go on. "It was the one I used when we were engaged the first time and, I don't know, I think there are too many negative memories connected to it and I was kind of hoping I could buy him a new one." I in a sharp breath upon realizing that I had been rambling.

Himchan's father studied me for a moment. Then he reached into his jacket and pulled out a cheque book and a pen. "How much?" he asked.

My eyes widened when I understood what he was doing. "S-sir, I can't accept this, I-"

"I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing it for Himchan. How much?" I opened my mouth but quickly closed it again. The ring I had bought my boyfriend last time had been quite expensive, but I didn't like asking for money, especially not from my lover's father. When I hesitated the other let out a sigh and quickly scribbled a seven figure number on the cheque. I opened my mouth to decline it once again, but he shook his head. "Take it," he said in a tone that told me it wasn't up for debate.

Hesitantly I reached across the table to grab the piece of paper from his hand. I stared down at the writing on it. "Thank you," I mumbled.

"You're welcome." He took another gulp of his drink. "Just know that if you ever hurt my son like that again I will make sure that you feel the consequences of it. Understood?"

 

*****

 

A/N: himchan's father is nice when he wants to be. that is all I have to say.
this chapter also shows the reason why yongguk didn't let hime wear the ring in the last chapter. it's not that he doesn't want to be engaged to himchan again, he just didn't want him to wear the old ring. they're starting over from scratch so he wants this proposal to be as amazing as the last one. good boyfriend guk. :D