3

Regeneration

 

Himchan was practically beaming on the ride home after we had eaten at the restaurant I had seen him gaze longingly at every time we drove past it on our way to his school. Dinner had been great and he was more than happy, therefore I was happy as well. Not even the thought of going home to a freezing cold apartment could put a damper on my mood. Not as long as Himchan was looking as content as he was.

My boyfriend... no, my fiancé kept staring at the ring I had given him with a huge smile on his face, once in a while leaning over to kiss my cheek and then going right back to staring at his ring and smiling again. "Do you like it?" I asked him even though the answer was kind of obvious and as expected my question earned me a slap on the arm. He quickly leaned over and pecked me on the cheek again, though.

"I love it!" he stated happily. He was one step short of bouncing up and down in his seat, I could tell. I chuckled and placed my hand on his thigh, giving it a gentle squeeze and my smile stiffened a bit on my face. I could feel that he was skinnier than usual. He usually lost a few pounds at the end of the month when he had to resort to skipping meals so we could afford to live. I was offered free lunch at my workplace. He wasn't so lucky. He had to starve and I didn't like that all, but he chose it himself and when he had his mind set on something this way I wouldn't be able to talk him out of it.

The moment Himchan turned his head to look at me again my smile reappeared and at the next red light I leaned over to kiss him. The expression on his face when I pulled away was questioning, but I shook my head to stop his words. "I love you," I merely said. He smiled and kissed me again and he held my hand for the rest of the way.

It didn't take too long for us to reach our home. I parked the car in front of the building (or more like the engine died when we were a few yards away and we were lucky enough to roll the rest of the way). Our intertwined hands dangled back and forth between us as we made our way inside and up the stairs and our breaths could be seen as small puffs of mist in the cold air.

Once we were inside I helped Himchan out of his long scarf, which was wrapped about ten times around his neck to keep him warm, and I crouched down to help him get his boots off as well. He ran one of his hands through my hair while he used the other to hold onto the wall to keep his balance while I untied his shoelaces and lifted his feet off the ground to pull his boots off one by one. A lot of people would find it weird whenever I helped him take off his clothes like this, but I knew that he liked when I took care of him, so I didn't care.

I hung up his jacket and set his footwear aside and then cupped his face with my hands, nuzzling our noses together. He scrunched up his face and giggled and I felt my heart flutter until he suddenly shivered. "It's cold," he whined.

I kissed his pouty lips. "Go to bed, I'll be there in a minute." I sent him off with a less-than-gentle pat to his backside. The indignant scowl he shot me on his way to the bedroom wasn't as serious as he wanted it to appear to be and we both knew that.

When I entered the room after getting rid of my own clothes Himchan was lying on his back on the bed with his arm extended and he was moving his hand, making sure he had seen the ring from all angles and in every possible lighting. I stood in the doorway watching him for a while with a small, affectionate smile on my face until it got too cold. I quickly crossed the floor and slipped under the covers, curling up to Himchan's side with my arm draped over his stomach. He didn't tear his gaze away from the piece of jewellery.

His brows suddenly pulled together in a frown and he glanced at me through the corner of his eye. "How did you even get the money to buy this?" He sounded suspicious and he had every reason to be. My gaze fluttered and I mumbled the incoherent beginning of a sentence I didn't know how to finish. He propped himself up on his elbows to get a better look at me. "What did you do?" he asked in an accusing tone and narrowed his eyes. "Should I expect policemen to show up at our door at some point?"

"I didn't do anything like that!" I exclaimed, feeling a bit offended that he would actually think I would do commit a crime. "I... I borrowedthemoneyfrommymother."

Himchan frowned. "What?"

"I borrowed the money from my mother," I sighed.

He seemed surprised to hear this. "But your mother hates my guts."

"She doesn't hate y-" I began to object, but he cut me off:

"The last time I saw her she leaned in real close and said 'I just wanted to remind you in case you forgot, you're not the queen of England'." He raised his eyebrows as if he was challenging me to go on. I averted my gaze. "You... didn't tell her what the money were for, did you?"

"I told her the heater was broken and we needed money to fix that so she gave me money. I just didn't use them to fix the heater."

He stared at me for a few moments. "We have to give it back and give her back the money," he then said. He began trying to take the ring off, but I grabbed his hands and held them both in a tight grip, refusing to let go. I pressed a few kisses to his knuckles just to make sure he would stop struggling.

"We're not giving the ring back," I said sternly and he knew not to argue with me when I was using that tone.

With a huff he lay back down on his back and he crossed his arms over his chest to show his displeasure. "I would prefer having to deal with the police," he mumbled under his breath. I couldn't help but chuckle.

 

*****

 

A/N: oh god. *vomits glitter*
a~nyway... yongguk's mother is kind of a in this story. yeah.
also, the part with yongguk helping himchan take off his clothes is based on something I experienced; when I was still with my ex and we lived together we were having some of his friends over for dinner and two of those were a married couple. once they arrived the wife just kind of lifted her foot and the husband promptly got on his knees and took off her shoes for her and I thought that it was really weird and that she was kind of demanding (it turned out that she was four months pregnant and since they'd already lost a child before they were just being extra careful that time around T^T so cute~).

hmmm... next update is going to be monday and waipeu will take care of that. :3