42

Regeneration

I knew that I was supposed to be at the apartment. I knew that I needed to be on my hands and knees scrubbing underneath the toilet. I knew that I had responsibilities, but I was at the music store near my parents’ apartment instead. The owner had let me practice in the back room when I had been a teenager because I could never concentrate on my practice when my parents were screaming. He didn’t care what instruments I borrowed as long as I didn’t break them.

 

I wanted to purchase one of the drums so badly but I knew Yongguk and I could never afford any of them. Even the cheapest of them would have been far more than I could have ever thought to ask Yongguk for. I was guilty about all of the loans we had. “You still play Himchan-goon?” The owner appeared next to me as I ran my fingers across the head of a smaller janggu.

I nodded my head, pulling my fingers back. “I got a degree in traditional music.”

He smiled brightly and patted his hand against my shoulder. “Good job. I’m proud of you.” I had probably spent more time with him than I did my parents during high school. He had been good to me. “Are you working?”

“I’m kind of like a housewife right now.” I shrugged my shoulders. “My boyfriend works.” Part of me wanted to work but I also liked taking care of Yongguk. If something amazing came my way I was sure I would take it, but I wouldn’t take a job I wasn’t crazy about. “I’ll come by and see you again soon.” I bowed to him and he shook my hand. “I’m meeting my parents in a bit.” He nodded my head and I exited the store.

When I arrived at my parents’ apartment I was immediately tackled. I barely managed to stay on my feet but when I was released I was able to see my noona. I bowed to her and she slapped the back of my head. “You disappear for nearly five years and you bow to me?” She slapped my head again, and then a third time when I whined. “I should punch you Kim Himchan.”

“Please don’t Noona? I don’t like being hit.” I pouted and backed away from her when she pulled her arm back to hit me again. “I’m sorry?”

“What kind of brother are you? Disappearing on me that way?” She crossed her arms over her chest. I was starting to worry that I wouldn’t be allowed into the apartment when my mother swept by and took my noona with her. “I need to scare Himchan more, Mother.”

“Leave your brother alone.” I smirked at my noona and stepped into the apartment. I felt guilty for disappearing on her. I had a lot to feel guilty about it seemed. “What’s the reason for your sudden visit Himchan?” She sounded curious. I hadn’t been back to the apartment since I had moved out and she probably assumed that I was going to disappear again.

I shrugged. “Yongguk’s mother called and said she was visiting us today.” I rolled my eyes and allowed my body to flop down onto the couch. “She’ll be there any time now. I left without picking up after her son so I’m sure she’ll have the nicest things to say about me.”

As if on cue my cell phone started going off. I checked it and sure enough Yongguk’s name was flashing across my screen. After debating for a couple of seconds whether or not I should ignore him I picked up the phone. “Where are you Himchan?”

“Visiting with Noona. She came to Seoul for a few days.” I heard his mother yelling in the background and I tried to tune her out. I didn’t care what she had to say. She was probably calling me useless anyway. “Why?”

“My mother is here. Did you forget she was coming?” He sounded nervous. It might have been because she was yelling at him about how dirty the apartment was.

“This place is disgusting Yongguk! Has your precious little princess decided cleaning was irrelevant?” His mother set in on me immediately. I just sighed and listened. I wasn’t sure when two empty soda cans on the table with Yongguk’s work and some clothing on the floor made the place ‘disgusting,’ but I was getting use to the abuse. “He couldn’t even buy a living room set that matched. Your tables look terrible.”

“Mother. Stop it. We have to buy new tables later. We’re not made of money like you.”

“That’s your fault! You decided to be a teacher and you paid for your boyfriend to get a useless degree! You don’t even force him to work!” Her voice was getting more shrill with each word.

I stared at my lap and listened to then for a while. His mother tore into me in every way she possibly could. She even began to insult my appearance before I decided I couldn’t take it any longer. Yongguk had stopped defending me and was just listening to her call me useless and unattractive.

“G-Guk-ah?” I mumbled into the phone, wiping at my face when a teardrop hit my knee. Apparently I was crying. Noona gave me a strange look but I waved her off. I didn’t need her to worry about me.

“Yeah Chan-ah?” His voice was small. Even though his mother was being awful and insulting my entire existence he didn’t want her to hear him talking to me.

“I-” My voice cracked and I had to swallow in order to be able to speak again. “I can’t take it anymore. Your mother wins…” I hung up the phone and threw it across the room. My mother gave me a shocked look when it slammed against the wall but she didn’t say anything. Noona opened but shut it before anything came out. “I need to go to my room. I’ll come out for dinner maybe.” I hurried out of the room before either of them could say anything.

I had just broken up with Yongguk. I collapsed onto the bed in my old bedroom and sobbed. I tried to keep the noise down but I was sure my family could hear me. I couldn’t handle the insults any longer. I didn’t deserve them. No matter how much I loved Yongguk and how much it hurt to be away from him it was even worse to know that he still couldn’t defend me.

__________

angst~ here have it~ so himchan tried to avoid yongguk's mother because he decided back with drunkhyo that he wasn't going to slave in the apartment for her visits any longer because it didn't matter anyway. she threw a fit and yongguk didn't do anything and kimchan broke up with him. that's what happened. next update is on wednesday~ leave us comments until then?
also T^T by the next time i update this i'll be back in school again. except not on the day that i update because i only go 2 days a week. college~