38

Regeneration

 

I was curled up on the couch stewing in my own misery when there was a knock at the door. Yongguk was out with his friends because they’d come to kidnap him. I’d been more than willing to let him go. I wanted to be alone. The dinner had been an utter disaster and even though two days had passed I was still depressed about it. I couldn’t even go up to the school and play on the instruments because I was no longer a student there. Yongguk’s mother had been correct. Traditional music was a useless major.

I sighed and tried to ignore the knocking but whoever it was didn’t want to quit. Eventually I rolled off of the couch and dragged myself to the door. I looked like rubbish and I didn’t want anyone to see me. I looked through the peephole to see if it was someone I could just send away without opening the door. Unfortunately it was Jaehyo.

I opened the door and he gave me a sad smile. “Can I come in?” I nodded my head and let him in. He walked to the living room and dropped onto the chair. I took my place on the couch. He would talk when he was ready. “I ended things with Daehyun.”

“I thought it was just .” I mumbled, not really wanting to deal with my friend’s problems. My emotions were not in the right place.

He shrugged his shoulders. “It was. I wanted it to be more. He said there was no way in hell.” He flopped over the arm of the chair and sighed overdramatically. “It was stupid for me to even try. I want what you and Yongguk have.” He was nearly impossible to understand. “I’m going to get old and die alone.” He rotated and I cringed at how uncomfortable his new position looked. After a couple seconds of thought I decided to move him so he didn’t snap his spine.

I put him on the ground and then went around the apartment grabbing things I was sure I would need. He had been heartbroken once before in high school. “Just stay there Jaehyo.” I put out some blankets for us to lie on and grabbed the only tub of ice cream we had. I didn’t eat ice cream. Only Yongguk did.

I helped Jaehyo move into the blankets, finally able to smell the booze radiating off of his flesh. That explained a lot. “Where’s your boyfriend?”

I shoved some ice cream into his mouth. “I convinced him to go rap with Hanhae and Zico. They’re performing at some underground club or something.” I had only gone to one of them once and had ended up with a black eye and two broken fingers. My father had threatened Yongguk’s life ten ways from Sunday. Fortunately I had been able to calm him down and prevented him from showing up at Yongguk’s mother’s house and outing her son. “He’s probably going to join their crew.”

“He likes rapping.” Jaehyo nodded his head and then stole the spoon from me so he could shovel ice cream into his own mouth. “I still have a video of that time he made you do it. You were good.”

“I was terrible.” I grabbed the remote control and a movie for Jaehyo. He was easy to distract.

Within five minutes the ice cream was forgotten and Jaehyo was lying on his back, completely entranced by whatever was happening. He didn’t seem to care the movie was in English. “Are you two engaged again?”

“We’re not.”

“Why not?”

“Because we haven’t talked about it. Just watch the movie Jaehyo.” I sighed. This was not something I wanted to talk about. We weren’t engaged any longer because of me.

“It’s in English. I don’t know English.”

“Pretend you do. We’re not talking about my relationship, or how his mother is a , or how I wasted five years of my life getting a useless degree, or anything! Just watch the movie.”

“Dinner was bad?”

“Dinner was a disaster! She moved the furniture to look for dust! We didn’t even eat. She was a huge once we finally got to sit down for dinner so I left and Yongguk took her home. I don’t know why I even try!” I threw my hands up in the air. It felt strangely good to finally be able to say these things. I couldn’t even mention them to Yongguk. He loved his mother even though she was the very essence of evil. “I’m not trying anymore. I don’t care. If she wants to invite herself over here again I won’t bother preparing anything for her. She can feed herself.” I rolled over onto my side so I would have to face Jaehyo. “I don’t know how someone like Yongguk came from a monster like that.”

Jaehyo sighed and his arms s around my waist. I curled into his grasp on instinct. “I’m sorry she’s that way Sweetie.” He mumbled into my neck. “Your degree isn’t useless either.”

I opened my mouth to respond but was cut off when my phone vibrated. I reached out to grab it and opened it to find a text from Yongguk asking if I was alright by myself or if he needed to come home. I told him I was fine and that Jaehyo was over so he could take his time. “I don’t even care. Let’s just talk about your problems.”

His grip on my waist tightened. “I don’t want to. He’s just a anyway. He’s probably got someone in his bed as we speak.”

“Jaehyo…”

“It’s true! You introduced us, we exchanged numbers, and then the second he got off work he sent ‘DTF’ to me.”

“You said yes.”

“That’s different!”

I rolled my eyes, nodding my head just to shut him up. There would be no winning with him. There never was.  We curled up in the blankets and watched the movie for a while longer until his breathing had evened out. I smiled softly and made myself a bit more comfortable in his grasp and changed the channel so I could watch something I understood. I wasn’t sure why Yongguk and I even had an English channel. His English was the worst of all of ours. 

___________

I mentioned Hanhae so:

Here's this chapter. Jaehyo came over and was weepy because he broken up with Daehyun and Himchan was in a terrible mood. That's pretty much it. I don't have anything else to say.
Leave us comments and waipeu will update on Monday :D