25

Regeneration

 

Himchan and I went for a walk after dinner. Originally I had wanted to take him to see a movie since I wanted to recreate our first date down to the last detail. Back in high school when I had first asked Himchan out I had had to work night shifts at a gas station for a while so I could make enough money to take him on an actual date. He told me he thought it was precious when I fell asleep with my head on his shoulder during the movie. It was something I would never want to repeat. My masculine pride just wouldn't allow it.

I had already used most of the money I had set aside for this date on our dinner, though, so I couldn't afford to take him to the movies and I felt bad about it. "It's okay," he assured me with a smile. "We don't have to do anything special."

"But I want to take care of you." I pouted even though he always told me I looked dumb when I did that. We both knew the expression looked better on him.

This time he rolled his eyes as well. "I'm perfectly fine with this," he concluded, doing a hand gesture that was probably supposed to refer to the current situation. I sighed and he did as well and I'm pretty sure heard him mumbling: "You're impossible." When I looked at him he just shook his head. There was a small smile on his face, though. We turned a corner and soon I could see something flash through Himchan's eyes. He seemed to recognize the street and he shot me a glance to confirm his suspicions. I merely smiled. "You didn't."

"Yup." I shoved my hands into my pockets. I felt pretty damn satisfied with myself.

"So we're going to-"

"Yup." I cut him off before he could finish his sentence.

He exhaled harshly. "You're so dumb," he sighed, shaking his head. I didn't say anything. I just smiled.

We entered the park we had been headed for and walked along the dark path until we reached an open area. Himchan slowed down his walk when he saw the blanket that was already spread out on a patch of grass there. I smiled at him. "I told you I'd recreate our first date," I said as I lay down on the plaid fabric, propping myself up on my elbows so I could look at him. He seemed skeptical, eyeing me with a frown etched between his eyebrows. I patted the spot next to me. He rolled his eyes, but joined me on the blanket nonetheless and we lay down on our backs, staring up at the dark sky.

"You're so dumb," Himchan repeated after a while.

"Still no stars, huh?"

"Just like the last time," he muttered with a sigh. "You can barely even see the stars because of the light pollution, don't you remember?"

I hummed pensively and then took a deep breath. "It doesn't matter. You're the only star I want to look at anyway." I could feel his eyes on me and when I turned my head he was looking at me with an incredulous expression. I chuckled. "What?"

"Are you serious right now?" he asked and when I nodded with a wide grin he rolled his eyes. "Do you really think some cheesy line that you obviously stole from a drama is going to work on me? Really?"

"It worked the first time," I defended myself, a bit sheepishly. "And I used it before that drama even existed." He remained quiet.

We didn't speak for a while and just lay there next to each other in comfortable silence. I could feel the heat his body emanated even through several layers of clothing. All I wanted to do was reach out and touch him. I missed being able to feel his skin under my palms. I had shoved my hands under my thighs because every time I felt the back of his hand brush over mine by accident I wanted to grab it. I had to control myself.

"Do you remember the first time we were here like this?" Himchan asked out of nowhere. "You wanted to impress me so badly so you learned the names and positions of all the constellations, but then when we got here we couldn't even see anything."

"I just wanted to show you the stars."

He giggled and I felt my heart flutter. It had been too long since I had heard that sound. "It was probably the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. Thank you." I felt my face flush when he smiled at me.

"You know what we should do?" I said excitedly and continued before he could say anything: "We should go to the countryside sometime. We could rent a small cabin and stay there for a couple of days, just the two of us, and we could-" I cut myself off abruptly when I noticed the look in his eyes, something akin to hurt. I bit my lip and averted my gaze. Too soon, I noted to myself.

I was regretful when he sat up, but I didn't say anything. "It's getting late, I should probably go home," he muttered and I sat up as well.

"Do you want me to give you a ride?"

"Sure."

We walked back the same way we had come from, heading to the noodle place where I had parked my car earlier in the evening. I felt stupid for getting carried away. Things were going so well between us, but I had taken it too far and I hated myself and my stupid word vomit for that.

When something suddenly brushed down my arm I was a little startled at first. Then I felt Himchan slipping his hand into mine and he intertwined our fingers. Even in the darkness I could see the flush that crept over his face. I knew this was a big step for him, so I didn't say anything in fear of scaring him off. I just gave his hand a squeeze and held onto it tightly, still a little afraid that he would suddenly regret his decision and pull his hand away. I was blushing as well as if it was the first time we had ever held hands and I felt a little stupid for it, but I didn't care. I just never wanted him to let go of me ever again.

 

*****

 

A/N: here, have some more disgustingness. I really don't know what to say about this, but, honestly, when do I ever? I think I mentioned in one of the earlier chapters that I cringed while writing some parts of this story because of all the disgusting fluffiness. this was one of those parts. brownie points for you if you can guess which drama they are referring to (it's not really hard at all, but... yeah).
leave comments?