31

Regeneration

 

Himchan was inconsolable. The moment we had gone back to his room after sending my mother off he had slid to the floor and he had broken down completely. I had scooped him up into my arms and carried him to the bed, lying down with him and pulling him close to me. He had been crying into my chest ever since, clutching my shirt in his tightly balled up fists, while I whispered comforting words into his hair.

"It was a disaster," he wailed once his sobs had died down a little and he was able to actually utter comprehensible words. "A complete disaster! I knew it was going to be like this, I just knew it. It was terrible!"

"It's okay, Chan-ah," I mumbled and pressed my lips to the top of his head. I winced a bit when he punched my chest.

"It's not okay! Your mother hates me more than ever now. And my parents are fighting worse than ever." He added the last part in a small, trembling voice. As if on cue there was the sound of another item crashing against the floor in the living room and we both cringed. It was probably lucky that the two of them only took their anger out on inanimate objects and not on each other. That could most definitely have gotten ugly.

Himchan motioned to get out of the bed, but I held him back. He struggled against my hold for a while. I just shook my head. "There's no need for you to get involved, Chan-ah. Nothing can stop them, you said so yourself." He sighed. He allowed me to pull him back into bed, though, and he curled up to my side, pressing his face into my chest. We listened to them fight for a little longer. Himchan started crying again and I felt him jolt when the front door slammed. And then things were quiet.

"I can't take this anymore," my boyfriend said after a while. "I can't live like this, I hate it. I need to get away. Can I...?" He shifted around so he could look up at me, but he seemed hesitant as if he wasn't sure if he should ask. I smiled and nodded for him to go on and he took a deep breath. "Can I come live with you? Please? Just... for a little while, I promise."

I cupped his face and pressed our lips together. "Of course you can."


 

Himchan's mother was nowhere near happy when her son entered the kitchen with a suitcase and announced that he would be staying at my apartment for a few days. She tried talking him out of it - I was sure she meant well and that it was mostly because she didn't want to lose him again - but no matter what she said Himchan was steadfast. "It's better this way," he reasoned. "Yongguk's apartment is closer to my school."

Eventually she gave up. "You'll call me, right?" she asked hopefully.

My boyfriend smiled and kissed her cheek. "Of course."

"And you'll take care of my son, right?" She turned to shoot me a glare. I gulped and nodded.

Himchan let out a short chuckle. "You're acting like you're never going to see me again." His mother didn't say anything. She only smiled sadly. I knew that that was exactly what she was afraid of since it had happened before. The two said their goodbyes and we left the apartment.

Himchan protested when I took the suitcase from him. I didn't listen and he quickly stopped trying to convince me that he could take care of it himself. I heard him huff and mutter something about being treated like a girl and how he didn't like it. I s my arm around his waist and kissed his temple. "I just like to take care of you because I love you," I muttered. From the way his skin flushed under my lips I knew I had won.

Once we exited the building I walked ahead so I could hold the car door open for Himchan. He rolled his eyes at me, but he didn't say anything. I knew he liked it even though he pretended that he didn't. I put his suitcase in the back of the car and climbed into the driver's side. My boyfriend had already attached his phone to the cord on the dashboard and was scrolling through his playlist in order to pick music for us to listen to. Eventually he found a song and he placed the phone in the cup holder.

"Thanks for letting me stay with you," he said after a few quiet minutes.

"Don't mention it. You can stay with me as long as you'd like." Out of habit I reached out to caress his leg, but I wasn't sure if he'd let me, so I paused. Fortunately he grabbed my hand that was awkwardly hovering mid-air and he placed it on his thigh. I gave it a squeeze.

Before long we had reached the apartment. I got out of the car first so I could open the door for Himchan. This time he just let me without showing his disapproval in any way. He slid his hand into mine as we made our way up the stairs. My heart was beating as if was the first time we were holding hands. I smiled shyly at him. "Are you blushing?" he teased.

"N-never." I tried to will away the redness coloring my cheeks. He let out a short laugh and held my hand a little tighter. I didn't want to let go of him, but once we reached the door I had to unlock it. I heard him exhale a small sigh at the sight of the place and I felt guilty. The last time he had been there he had cleaned up somewhat, but of course I had managed to make a mess again. "I'm sorry," I muttered sheepishly. "I try to keep things clean for you, but-"

He raised his hand to keep me quiet. "Don't worry about it." His smile was genuine so I felt a little less worried. I helped him out of his outerwear the way I used to and he grabbed his suitcase and headed for the bedroom right away. "I'm going to bed, I'm exhausted."

"Do you need me to tuck you in?" I asked as a joke. I hadn't expected him to say yes.

When I entered the bedroom he had already changed his clothes and was lying in bed and he reached out his arms for me in what would have looked like a childish gesture if he wasn't so damn cute. I changed my own clothes quickly, ignoring the way he stared openly at me as I did so, and slid under the covers. He barely even allowed me to get settled before he curled up to my side with his head resting on my chest. "I love you, Guk-ah," he muttered and then promptly fell asleep.

 

*****

 

A/N: so just like that himchan moved back in with yongguk (sort of). and then there was
some cute stuffs like holding hands and blahblahblah and yeah. I have nothing more to
say. I hope you all enjoyed the chapter and will leave us pretty comments~. :D