13

Regeneration

 

For some reason it took a while before the situation really hit me. I tried to spend the hours doing the things I would have done if everything was like it should have been, as if nothing had happened. I cleaned up after dinner, I did the dishes that were in the sink and after that I sat down to grade papers. Halfway through the stack of essays my eyes drifted and landed on the ring that I had placed on the coffee table after Himchan threw it in my face and that was when it hit me.

With slightly shaky hands I picked up the silver band and twirled it between my fingers, looking at it from every angle. I had been so happy when I bought that engagement ring for Himchan. I had been so excited that I was finally able to give him something like that and this one was perfect for him. It fit him so well. I was more than ecstatic when he agreed to marry me because I wanted to be with him for the rest of my life, but now... now it was over.

I cursed as I hurled the ring across the open space of the living room and pressed my hands into my eyes. They were stinging and I knew I was going to cry, but I didn't want to. I didn't want to cry. I was angry with myself for almost hitting Himchan, I knew that was out of line. It was more a defense reaction than anything.

Even more than that, however, I was angry with him for calling me a e. He should know that I would never ever do something like that to my students. Or to any other kid for that matter. I couldn't believe he would accuse me of doing something like that. None of it mattered anymore, though. We broke up. We were over.

I forgot all about the rest of the papers I had to grade and lay down on the couch. Kim Himchan was the only person I had ever truly loved. It broke my heart to know that he would just throw everything away like that. As if the last seven years meant nothing to him. I whimpered and pulled my legs up, wrapping my arms around them. I couldn't remember ever feeling so upset about anything ever before. We had never fought before either. Everything hurt.

I would never admit that I cried myself to sleep.
 

 

Insistent knocks on the door tore me out of my uncomfortable slumber. A quick glance at the clock told me it was close to seven in the morning. I looked around the room, trying to figure out where I was because I didn't remember our bedroom having a TV or a couch. Then I remembered that I had practically passed out in the living room and the second after I remembered why that had happened and I wanted to curl up and die.

The knocking didn't stop and at first I decided that I was going to ignore it. Then it dawned on me that the person knocking could be Himchan. Maybe he had come back, maybe he was sorry too. I rolled off the couch and crossed the floor quickly to answer the door, wiping the drool off my face with one hand while fixing my hair with the other. Himchan liked it when I looked nice.

Needless to say I was more than a little disappointed to see Jaehyo standing on the other side of the door and my hopeful smile turned into a sour grimace in a matter of seconds. I eyed the duffle bag in his hand and knew that he had come to collect some of Himchan's stuff. The spark of hope was killed almost as soon as it had been ignited. I sighed heavily. "Take what you need and get out," I mumbled, leaving the door open and expecting him to shut it behind him once he was inside. He went to the bedroom without even looking at me.

I sat down on the couch again, staring blankly at the opposite wall. So this was it. This was really it. We were broken up. Himchan had sent his best friend to gather his things so he wouldn't have to see me. He didn't want to see me. He didn't want to be with me. I could hear Jaehyo walking around in the room and a few moments later he emerged with the duffle bag slung over his shoulder. He shot me a haughty glance. I shot him a scowl in return. "I thought you two were the ones that would stay together forever," he drawled. "You seemed so happy. What happened?"

"That's none of your business," I answered snappishly.

He huffed. "Why are you treating me this way? What did I ever do to you?"

"You know what you did."

I didn't have to look at him to know that he rolled his eyes. "You mean that one time I gave Himchan a almost eight years ago? God, just get over it already." I chose to ignore the curses he muttered under his breath as he made his way towards the door to leave the apartment. He stopped with one hand on the handle and turned around halfway. "He's miserable, you know," he said. "I just thought you should know that." I forced myself not to react. That way it was easier to pretend that I didn't care. I'm not sure exactly which profanity he spat at me on his way out because it was halfway cut off by the door slamming.

I pulled myself together enough for me to call the school and tell them that I wouldn't be coming in that day. My voice was sufficiently raspy for me to fake being sick, which was convenient for me. The lady on the phone, the principal's secretary, sounded rather concerned. I brushed her off, though, and promised her that I would get plenty of rest and drink plenty of tea and after a few minutes of chatting I hung up. Then I curled up on the couch and decided that I would be perfectly fine if I never had to move from that spot ever again.

 

*****

 

A/N: I kind of forgot that today was update day, but here's the chapter.
yongguk is being all emotional and stuff, but I feel like he has good reason to (the love of his life just broke up with him). they're both being idiots, I know, but they have never fought before so... yeah. :b oh, and yeah, jaehyo and himchan used to have a thing when they were younger, which is why yongguk kind of doesn't like jaehyo.
I always do author's notes without having anything to say. I should stop.
waipeu will update on wednesday~