4

Regeneration

 

“Chan-ah~” Yongguk climbed into the bed next to me and his arms slid around my waist. I tried to elbow him but it had no effect. “Chan-ah~”

I grumbled and attempted to pry his hands off of me. I was upset and reasonably so! “Go away…” I hid my face in the sheets and debated throwing myself off of the bed in a desperate attempt to get away from my fiancé. It was really cold outside of the bedding though. “I’m mad at you.”

“Why?”

“Because I hate your mom.” I flopped over onto my stomach and I yelled into the pillow. His mother was one of the most horrible women in the entire world. I hated her just as much as she hated me, I just had the manners not to be so open about it. She and his noona had got to Japan for whatever it was that the two of them did when they went on trips but Yongguk just had to tell them that he had proposed to me. I told him to do it later but he’d pulled me down onto the couch and held me captive as she called. He told her that he had gotten engaged and she said ‘to whom?’ I couldn’t remember the last time I was so hurt.

Yongguk sighed and pulled me even closer. He didn’t understand why his mother and I couldn’t get along, but it was just because she was evil. I had no idea why she hated me, but I returned the sentiments simply because she treated me like garbage. “I love you.”

“I’m going to work.” I mumbled and fought against his arms until I was able to liberate myself from his grasp. We needed the money anyway so going in early wouldn’t hurt. Daehyun would probably have snacks that I could steal to tide me over until breakfast. “It’s warm there.” I stripped down in front of him and pulled my uniform on as quickly as I could. I was tired of nearly freezing to death every time I came home.

Yongguk sat up, pulling the blankets up with him, and stared at me. “When will you be back?”

“Go to bed. I get off at four. I’ll see you when you get home from work tomorrow.” I gave him a quick kiss before pushing him down onto the mattress. He didn’t need to be exhausted the next day at work. I didn’t want him to suffer, even if I was upset with him.

He nodded his head slightly and I noticed that he had curled up. “How are you getting there and back?”

“Driving.”

“But the car…”

“Our neighbour the mechanic looked at it and said it should be fine.”  I shrugged and pulled on my coat. We couldn’t afford to take the car to a real mechanic and there was no way I could skip work. We were close to getting the heater fixed and I was sure if I was really careful about money that we could get it done with my next pay check.  “I love you. Now go to bed.”

“I love you too.” He closed his eyes and I pressed my lips to his forehead before walking out of the apartment. I hated working the night shift but it paid more than day shift and it didn’t get in the way of school. I always worried about whether or not Yongguk would be warm enough while he was alone.

I grabbed the keys from the counter and pulled my shoes on. I ran to our car and climbed into it. I wasn’t the best driver in the world but I was getting better and Yongguk had been teaching me. I turned the heater on high and started driving towards the shop where I worked.

I hadn’t eaten since the engagement celebration because I felt guilty about letting him spend so much money on me, and I was starting to feel the gnawing pain in my stomach that all too familiar with. “Please stop grumbling, stomach… You’ll get food soon. I promise.” I patted at my stomach and pulled into the employee parking lot at work. I checked myself over in the mirror a final time before getting out of the car and going inside.

Unfortunately Daehyun had called in sick (though I knew he had a nine page paper due in two days) and that meant I had to do the shift alone. I struggled not to fall asleep at the counter during the slow hours and whined every time my stomach would gurgle. It was probably for the best that no one came in at night.

I ended up not getting off of work until well after four because I’d had to clean up the store alone and I was barely able to stay awake once I got into the car. I shook my head and grabbed one of the energy shots I knew that Yongguk kept in the glove compartment just so I could make it home.

On the drive home my eyes started crossing and I found that I wasn’t able to keep my head from drooping forward. I tried singing to myself because Yongguk would do that sometimes when he had to grade papers. “Stay awake Kim Himchan…”

The next thing I knew my body slammed forward and I looked up to see that I had driven the car into a pole. I whimpered slightly and tried to push the airbag out of my way so I could get out of the car.

Then somehow in the next second there were flashing lights and men were trying to help me out of the vehicle. I tried pushing them away but the pulled me to an ambulance and checked me over several times before deciding that I wasn’t injured enough to require a hospital visit. I was given a breathalyser test and forced to prove my sobriety far too many times before the people began asking what had happened. “I was driving and then I was crashed.” I mumbled and stared up at them, “Did I fall asleep?”

_____________

Less fluffs than usual~ 
I don't really have anything to say because I have to go gather my sister from softball practice. 
I was gonna update later because of reasons then I decided to just update now. 
Yeobo will update again on Wednesday. <3